Myners Review
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 11:56

[media-cdn.incrowdsports.com]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Loads of recommendations - full disclosure by clubs and players with hard hitting punishments for non-compliance.

Lots on connected parties etc. for example Itoje's bed deal would be banned as would post-career liaison / advisor work.

Recommendation 3.4 – Prohibit payments which are subjective, extend beyond a player’s playing career or come from connected parties (including sponsorship by connected parties). Any prohibited payment should result in a sanction.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2020 12:02 by BathMatt53.

Re: Myners Review
Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 12:10

'From 2015 Myners cites "a last-minute settlement of the salary cap breach against Saracens", as well as a second incident involving another club in the same year.'

Was that us?

Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 12:56

Quote:
Optimist
'From 2015 Myners cites "a last-minute settlement of the salary cap breach against Saracens", as well as a second incident involving another club in the same year.'
Was that us?
That was certainly the rumour at the time.

Does anyone have the power to strip Sarries titles? I know the current salary cap rules don’t allow PRL to do this, but could the RFU?

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 13:06

I'm always surprised that people go on about taking their titles away.

For me:
1. It happened it's in the past, I can only care about it so much to start with.
2. If I do look back on them they'll always be tainted, and that must be largely the case for most sarries supporters as well. In any case, I'd love to see a Sarries support brag about their team during this period.
3. It's not like you can meaningfully give that title to anyone. Who knows who would have won and even if its clear would it actually make anyone any happier? Would be awarded the title that year sarries beat us make you much happier? It would very much be "oh, that's nice", though it would somewhat dilute the achievement when we finally do win something.
4. It won't take away those happy/sad memories from those wins. From a Sarries point of view they'll either already been spoilt or they'll still have them as good as ever despite the rubber stamp. From the losers point of view I tihnk I'd still have the hurtful memories.

I'm not saying that I'd be that bothered if the titles were expunged, but it really wouldn't make any material difference to me. Would it really to you?

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 13:11

It does however make people ask, "why were their titles stripped?" so confirms that cheating is forbidden.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Date: 14 May, 2020 13:17

its not in the existing rules to do that but it would be in Myners rules - there is a section on it within the report.

Date: 14 May, 2020 13:38

Quote:
DanWiley
I'm not saying that I'd be that bothered if the titles were expunged, but it really wouldn't make any material difference to me. Would it really to you?

None of it make a material difference to me Dan. It was a question as to who if anyone had the power to do so.
I see it much like Lance Armstrong, proven to have cheated and the record should be set straight. As you say it doesn’t help those who lost out to the cheat, but it seems the right thing to do.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 17:21

It's interesting that the 'marquee' player concept is being cited so directly as a cause of wage inflation. I'm pretty sure that it was Wray who would have lobbied for that in the first place, and one more reason why quite so many owners/directors were harbouring quite so little sympathy for him.

Date: 14 May, 2020 18:10

Quote:
Optimist
It's interesting that the 'marquee' player concept is being cited so directly as a cause of wage inflation. I'm pretty sure that it was Wray who would have lobbied for that in the first place, and one more reason why quite so many owners/directors were harbouring quite so little sympathy for him.

Bruce was a massive influence on the marquee (and second marquee).

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 19:17

Quote:
dcsh
Quote:
Optimist
Was that us?
That was certainly the rumour at the time.

Does anyone have the power to strip Sarries titles? I know the current salary cap rules don’t allow PRL to do this, but could the RFU?

Why would the RFU do such a thing? They don't want anything to do with it because at some point questions on complicity could be an issue. At the moment, one wrong 'un did it all, nobody else had any inkling.

Date: 18 May, 2020 12:57

[www.rugbypass.com]

...the 24 best-paid players for the 2019/20 season cost their various clubs a total of £14million – with seven of these highest-remunerated players not listed as ‘marquee’. Not too shabby for those at the top (and presumably add International match fees for some of those as well).

Date: 18 May, 2020 14:02

Quote:
BathMatt53
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/marquee-player-exemption-under-threat-after-revelation-that-premierships-24-best-paid-players-cost-14million-in-2019-20-myners
...the 24 best-paid players for the 2019/20 season cost their various clubs a total of £14million – with seven of these highest-remunerated players not listed as ‘marquee’. Not too shabby for those at the top (and presumably add International match fees for some of those as well).
Wow, feeds right into the ‘Money pit’ thread.
That 7 of the top 24 are not marquee implies that they are paid more than marquees and 3.5 clubs! Show what an uneven playing field it is despite the cap.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 14:12

Would be nice to know who those players are, or at least, what the figures are and who the clubs are..

I think the figure player x adds to the cap should be in the public domain as keeping it 'secret' has definitely not worked, imv

Date: 18 May, 2020 14:36

Am I right in thinking that both ford and tuilagi couldn’t be marquee, or Beale and le roux or Farrell and Itoje?

Date: 18 May, 2020 15:37

I think those restrictions might have been in place at the point the second marquee came in, but in subsequent seasons they relax to the point that 2 players that have either joined from outside the Prem or have been at the club can be marquees.

Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 16:01

Quote:
BathMatt53
Am I right in thinking that both ford and tuilagi couldn’t be marquee, or Beale and le roux or Farrell and Itoje?

Not sure about Beale and Le Roux as I'm not farmiliar with their situations at Wasps. But for the other two examples you are correct.

Marquee 1 has to have been at the club for 2yrs, or 1yr if he joined from outside the premiership

Marquee 2 can't have played in the premiership in the two seasons preceeding them being nominated as a marquee player, unless it was as Marquee 2 in the same team. So if a player joins from outside the premiership and is nominated as Marquee 2 he can remain that team's marquee 2 player if that makes sense.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net