Current Page: 1 of 3
Ackermann leaving glos
Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 08:36

In July, Johan Ackermann will be leaving Gloucester Rugby to join the NTT DoCoMo Red Hurricanes in Japan.

Johan approached us a couple of weeks ago to say that he had been presented with a few coaching opportunities, and for personal reasons would like permission to pursue them. Understanding his personal reasons, we granted him that permission.

Re: Ackermann leaving glos
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 08:43

I saw the rumours but that's still a bit of a surprise. Dai Young to Glos or will they headhunt Hoops?

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: westglos (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 08:45

Cockerill I reckon.

Date: 15 May, 2020 08:47

Quote:
westglos
Cockerill I reckon.

I think he only came out a day or two ago saying that he wanted to renew at Edinburgh as the job was only half done? Interested to see what shakes out.

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 08:49

Quote:
westglos
Cockerill I reckon.

I think Cockers is quite happy as King of his domain up north of the border and wouldn't want to fall back into a similar snake pit to the one he left in Leicester.

Just saying

Posted by: Dave248 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 08:49

The way the article ends sounds to me as if no immediate replacement more of internal restructuring? Lots of talk of player power pushing for this one and they got what they wanted. Interesting

Date: 15 May, 2020 08:52

Quote:
Dave248
Lots of talk of player power pushing for this one and they got what they wanted.

I heard the same...various reasons. If that's the case you would also expect Ruan to be unsettled?

Date: 15 May, 2020 08:54

Here's the whole thing, its from an email, for some reason Im on a glos dist list

(Sm124)

I wanted to write to you personally before this news is published shortly. In July, Johan Ackermann will be leaving Gloucester Rugby to join the NTT DoCoMo Red Hurricanes in Japan.

Johan approached us a couple of weeks ago to say that he had been presented with a few coaching opportunities, and for personal reasons would like permission to pursue them. Understanding his personal reasons, we granted him that permission.

We of course wish him all the very best in his new adventure.

As we have known about Johans plans for a little while, David Humphreys has drawn up a shortlist of potential candidates, and now that things are finalised between Johan and the Red Hurricanes we can start the process of approaching our potential candidates.

Once we have agreed on the appointment of a new Head Coach we will let you know.

I have obviously seen the speculation over the last few days. It would have been good to be able to let you know about this matter sooner, but given that things have only just been finalised I hope you understand the reasons for only letting you know now.

There have been some pretty wild suggestions in the press and on social media about what is happening within our Club. Life is too short to refute all of them, but what I would say is that, as Im sure you know, you cannot believe everything you read. We have a great squad of players, coaches, support staff and commercial staff. Were strong as a team and we will continue to work together to bring the success to Gloucester Rugby that we all strive for.

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 09:39

This is a great shame. I liked the way Mr A was honest and not afraid to answer difficult questions and best of all, seemed to genuinely enjoy the job.

We could have done a lot worse IMV than bring him to the Rec.

I wish him well.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 10:06

Quote:
Bathovalballer
This is a great shame. I liked the way Mr A was honest and not afraid to answer difficult questions and best of all, seemed to genuinely enjoy the job.

I wish him well.

Problem is BoB thats the problem with this kind of approach, the top guys follow the money, if we had taken him on he would have walked out on us. At least Hooper will stay more that 18 months!

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 10:10

Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I wish him well.

Problem is BoB thats the problem with this kind of approach, the top guys follow the money, if we had taken him on he would have walked out on us. At least Hooper will stay more that 18 months!

Be interesting to see if one of those top guys will be happy for a stint at Bath in 18 months when Hooper goes.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 10:11

Be interesting to understand what happened this year with Ackermann. An impressive guy, and fantastic last year, but good grief Glos reverted to flakey type this season.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 10:14

Quote:
shipwrecked
the top guys follow the money,

Can we get the chequebook out then, because we've got money and it's not capped. Not necessarily for these guys but let's gett he best in the world if that's the way it works. Having someone who isn't up to it because they won't leave seems a poor idea.

Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 10:15

I wonder if there is a cost aspect to this for Glos. there have a pretty high profile DoR and had a very influential Head Coach. The two of them must have cost a decent amount and at a time when salaries are being cut and income is in short supply maybe they were fine with Ackermann moving to someone else payroll?

Date: 15 May, 2020 10:16

Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I wish him well.

Be interesting to see if one of those top guys will be happy for a stint at Bath in 18 months when Hooper goes.

Do we want that OB? A season of good rugby, no trophies, then back to finding a coach.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 10:23

Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I wish him well.

Do we want that OB? A season of good rugby, no trophies, then back to finding a coach.

With a top DOR and head coach we could at least challenge for trophies which would give us a little entertainment so Id settle for that.

As it stands weve got another 18 months of failure.

Date: 15 May, 2020 10:34

Have Gloucester not got a similar prospect by your criteria?

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 10:34

Right, but what's clear is that 'a top DOR and head coach' is a lot harder to identify and recruit than you might think. Who would have picked McCall after finishing 5th with Castres? Baxter grew organically over a decade at Ex. Cockerill's doing well at Edinburgh now, but was a disaster last few years at Tigers (who, tbf, probably had major structural issues). Diamond's won jack-all, Boyd's Saints have a weak underbelly, Ackermann will ultimately go down as a failure.

Pat Lam's building well (helps with all that money and a fresh start from the Championship) but he's probably the only one outside of Ex/Sarries.

Date: 15 May, 2020 10:51

Yes, also each club has a very different environment its not one size fits all.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 13:34

I'm surprised he has gone but this season has been a mess and that is only viewing from the outside.
They werent performing and even worse, werent looking like they could fix things so i think collectively the dressing room werent behind him.

I think they have a far better squad than results have showed and that means something had to change.
What prompted JA to consider Japan would likely be a great financial offer and being unhappy or undermined at Glaws.

What now happens with Ruan and which side was Cips on in any dressing room split.
If the players wanted a more conservative approach and that forced out JA, then maybe Cips will follow?

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net