Money Pits
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 12:55

[www.rugbypass.com]

So Premiership clubs lost £88.7million in the two years before CVC buy-in and BEFORE Corona.

Mind you as Dysons fortune went up £9.86m a day last year I guess it can be seen in perspective...less than 2 days he could write off all of the Bath Rugby debt and he could buy a nice Dyson Stadium in a week (all fans get sucked up into a giant bar at half time).

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Re: Money Pits
Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 13:03

Crazy. It just doesnít work at present. Either income need to go up (either more fans paying the same cost or the same fans paying more) or the outgoings need to come down (the biggest being player salaries).
I donít really believe there are that many more fans that will actually pay to watch rugby, but that does seem to be the golden hope of many.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 13:25

I think there will be some more supporters......paying a bit more.

Television paying a lot more.

Players will not see any increases for some time also with the removal of the second marquee player. However there does need to be a sprinkling of fairy dust

Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 13:54

Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Television paying a lot more.
That doesnít appear to be the case if the reports are to be believed [www.rugbypass.com]

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 15:31

Marquee players and cap increases have been a bust. We have practically the same set of players (talent-wise) as we did before we made it impossible for a club to stand on its own two feet.

If "television" pays more, we pay more. I would agree there isn't a latent source of fans and I can't see much more being squeeze out of the ones there are. Ticket prices are crazy and I might pay a little more for a TV subscription, but not a lot. The virus is only going to reduce

Sorry lads, you can either take a pay freeze/cut now or watch your careers disappear in an instant when this all goes pear-shaped. Given the virus that might be alarmingly soon.

Posted by: ChippenhamRoman (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2020 08:32

Quote:
dcsh
Crazy. It just doesnít work at present. Either income need to go up (either more fans paying the same cost or the same fans paying more) or the outgoings need to come down (the biggest being player salaries).
I donít really believe there are that many more fans that will actually pay to watch rugby, but that does seem to be the golden hope of many.

I think that will, just not £40 for an adult and £20 each for two kids. (Cheapest seats).

£40 all in and you could stuff a stadium at the Rec.

J

Date: 19 May, 2020 08:56

Quote:
ChippenhamRoman
Quote:
dcsh

I think that will, just not £40 for an adult and £20 each for two kids. (Cheapest seats).

£40 all in and you could stuff a stadium at the Rec.

J

The rec is pretty full every week anyway so I guess prices are about right. Some of the other clubs have huge capacities with masses of spare seats. They could do with giving a load away to schools etc to get the next generation interested - I assume that's what they do?

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2020 09:33

The prices are right in so much that the club will point out that they pretty much sell out most games, but I think a lot of the prices are absurdly expensive, particularly for away fans. The club, and several others, are ensuring that only a certain demographic watch live rugby in decent numbers. It's hard to widen rugby's appeal when you have uncovered seats for £70 to £80.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2020 10:05

Its a balance Bath Matt

A friend of mine is on the Board at Tigers and he always moans to me about the yield. So they might get crowds of 22-23,000 but season ticket prices are say 30% less than ours.

So we get a crowd of 14,000 that might be the equivalent in revenue of say 19,000 at Tigers.

Of course they have, needlessly, spent many, many £'m on their new stands when they had a deal to buy the Walker Crisp Bowl from the administrators for £20m and Leicester City FC would have shared with them.

Our tickets are not cheap!

If we could get capacity up to say 18,000 then we could admit 500 young people from regional rugby clubs for a fiver, ticket, programme and healthy drink.

Build from the bottom.

Get some decent rugby being played, win at the Rec, new arena makes it a pleasant experience and watch the ground fill up.

Date: 19 May, 2020 10:46

That's what I'm hoping bsj. A new stadium would bring so many benefits, but if it happens I do hope the club won't just take the stance that better facilities justify higher ticket prices.

Date: 19 May, 2020 10:50

Quote:
TomReagan
That's what I'm hoping bsj. A new stadium would bring so many benefits, but if it happens I do hope the club won't just take the stance that better facilities justify higher ticket prices.

They will have a big mortgage to pay. I think that the new design had quite a few corporate boxes etc around the top of the stands? I just went to the stadium for Bath website and its been switched off so I cant check!

www.stadiumforbath.com

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2020 10:51

Quote:
TomReagan

If it ever happens and the current crisis has to put question marks over its viability then someone will pay in the end. Look at all redeveloped football grounds and the prices for fans has gone up.

Canít see Bath being any different.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2020 11:19

In fairness, for minor games (cup etc), it is pretty easy to get kids tickets at the rec for £5 and adults for £15.

Prem games are just eye-watering.

Whilst we might balance ticket revenue with tiggers, I would think they'd feel more comfortable having a wider fan-base and the secondary sale could be significant.

Date: 19 May, 2020 12:17

I know I'm an idealist but I'd like to think that an increased capacity of say 3,000 might give them a bit of leeway in terms of at the very least freezing prices. Lots of Prem football clubs have cheaper tickets than Bath. Of course if we ever return to playing rugby worth watching the prices won't appear quite so horrible...

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2020 17:46

Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Its a balance Bath Matt ... If we could get capacity up to say 18,000 then we could admit 500 young people from regional rugby clubs for a fiver, ticket, programme and healthy drink ... Build from the bottom.

It's a nice idea but there will always be heavy pressure to maximise the "gate" money unless you have an empty football stadium for a ground.

I find the whole topic fascinating, how do you balance maximising revenue with also making it feasible for young and not so wealthy supporters to watch games live? Do you owe anything to long-term supporters above maximising revenue? I'd like to think yes but I suspect the reality is no.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net