Current Page: 40 of 91
Re: O/T Coronavirus discussion topics
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2020 18:59

Quote:

Kids who have been locked up for months in ‘enjoying the sun and freedom’ shocker. I’m sure none of us did anything remotely selfish / naughty when we were 15...

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2020 19:04

Quote:
TomReagan
Quote:
Chris1850
I was looking forward to 5 days of uninterrupted coverage from the BBC starting today about Rosie Duffield (Labour MP) flouting the lockdown to meet her married lover. Clearly this was a deliberate, premeditated decision - no mitigating circumstances such as child welfare issues or even dicky eyesight. It would seem that a good old romp between the sheets was the sole motivation. Plenty for Kuennsberg and co to go at there! So far though, I haven't heard anything about it on the radio or TV and apart from an item buried deep on their website, nothing else from the BBC. Must be far more pressing

matters to report?

BBC News - Coronavirus: Labour MP quits role after lockdown breach
[www.bbc.co.uk]

She has stood down as a Labour whip but has not offered to resign as an MP. Never mind, I am sure Starmer will be preparing his vitriolic condemnation right at this moment. Cue the 5 days of uninterrupted BBC coverage then perhaps?

I have every faith!!
As BathMatt says, hardly anyone will have heard of her, whereas DC helped formulate the policy that he broke. As even gaz says, what was so galling about Cummings was his arrogant denial, refusal to apologise and the rubbish cover story more than the offence. The Labour whip held her hands up, admitted she was wrong and resigned. You piously note all she wanted was sex. To me that's a much better reason to break lockdown after 10 weeks than testing your eyesight, and if anyone is going to get all moralistic she met the man she's now living with whilst in the midst of her marriage ending. Some will want their MPs to be above such pecadilloes and fair enough, but it's not that important to me. (I just want my MP to be anyone other than the prat I've got-JRM!).

Actually it is his marriage that is ending. Duffield has been an extraordinarily hard working MP and single mum since she managed to break away from a highly abusive relationship

And no big surprise that the Tories have kept very quiet about this story. Have they suddenly found compassion?

Or is it that it simply highlights the arrogant denial from Cummings? Duffield has apologised to her constituents through local media and sent a personal email of apology to all members of Labour party in her area. She resigned immediately and also apologised to Starmer in person

The contrasts couldn't be greater. Probably a better explanation of the tory silence on the issue, I would suggest

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2020 19:35

Misread the BBC story gaz- you're right-thought they were both married. Doesn't alter my support for her of course, but a sloppy error on my part for which I accept culpability!!

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2020 20:26

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:

Kids who have been locked up for months in ‘enjoying the sun and freedom’ shocker. I’m sure none of us did anything remotely selfish / naughty when we were 15...

Happy for them to let off some steam but no excuses for leaving rubbish behind. They carried it there so should carry it home.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2020 20:42

There's nothing new about littering, it just normally doesn't make the news.

Think back to last summer, I'm sure events of exactly this nature happened, but they were laughed off the news desk. Now, because people have been gifted the right to be nimbys, otherwise banal events are being given the time of day so people can conflate their usual anger with the world not revolving around them with the concern lockdown is ending too soon.

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2020 20:51

[www.somersetlive.co.uk] - Saltford Avon Riverside (by the Jolly Sailor) over the weekend; apparently the local people who tidied the place up collected several dozen bags of rubbish, along with 4000 cylinders of Nitrous Oxide! Whatever happened to the good old Party Seven?

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2020 20:56

There was hope that people were becoming more caring about their environment but clearly beach goes are a bunch of @#$%& @#$%&:
Incapable of taking it home

Reading the tale of one of the beach cleaners, there are some real @#$%& who were at DD over the weekend.

Have any of them understood anything about the pollution of the seas?

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2020 21:13

Quote:
DanWiley
There's nothing new about littering, it just normally doesn't make the news.
Think back to last summer, I'm sure events of exactly this nature happened, but they were laughed off the news desk. Now, because people have been gifted the right to be nimbys, otherwise banal events are being given the time of day so people can conflate their usual anger with the world not revolving around them with the concern lockdown is ending too soon.

Ambulance crews were reportedly abused by drunken youths - who were also using nitrous oxide.

And police said there were multiple reports of large groups of young people gathering in the village, in particular by the river, breaching social distancing rules.

"We unfortunately had over 150 young people turn up at Lacock to swim pretty much all with 80 yards of river bank," said Lacock resident Clive Shipman."

"We had two ambulances called due to alcohol related incidents the ambulance crew themselves were abused by a group of youths.

Screw the acceptance of these "banal events" - who passes this off as high jinks? Seriously?

(Sm95)

Date: 01 June, 2020 21:44

Sorry, drunk people abusing ambulance crews is not news.

No it shouldn't happen, but it has, does and will again. You only seem aware of it because the fact it happened during a relaxation of a lock down apparently makes it news worthy.

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2020 21:49

Dear me, todays youth shocker.

Time to take s tock. They have grown up in the past 20 odd years, in a society made by the by now 50-60-70 year olds.
I prefer to ponder where did we go wrong?

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2020 21:57

Quote:
gaz59
Or is it that it simply highlights the arrogant denial from Cummings? Duffield has apologised to her constituents through local media and sent a personal email of apology to all members of Labour party in her area. She resigned immediately and also apologised to Starmer in person.

After she got rumbled by the media...She got caught and then had to make the performative public display the Labour party had demanded. Which is sad, because it determined she had to lose (part of) her job for making the very human decision to try and keep her relationship going.

Quote:
gaz59
The contrasts couldn't be greater.

That was the point. She had to be hoisted by her own petard. There can be no mitigation when you apply the law of the mob.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2020 23:31

The teenagers might think I am an old nimby but weren't they the age group recently who tried to claim the moral high ground by saying they wanted to save the planet?

Probably felt it was uncool to do the right thing.

It was a small minority no doubt but totally unnecessary and most teenagers would be as annoyed about it as we are.

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2020 00:04

Quote:
DanWiley
Sorry, drunk people abusing ambulance crews is not news.
No it shouldn't happen, but it has, does and will again. You only seem aware of it because the fact it happened during a relaxation of a lock down apparently makes it news worthy.

I'm aware of this $h!t on a regular basis since my daughter is a Police Officer, and what she endures from such cowards is NOT acceptable.
Screw the parents who spawn these scumbags, and screw those who categorise this anti-social, loutish, abusive behaviour, as something that should be normally accepted.

(Sm95)

Date: 02 June, 2020 07:48

This sort of behaviour should be discouraged, but it shouldn't be conflated with this virus and the easing of the lock down. They aren't particularly related, other that a certain amount of letting off steam which is probably magnifying it a bit.

The problem is if you were to start another thread called, say, "yobs being yobs" it would probably get a brief flurry of agreement then it would pretty rapidly die off.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2020 08:00

No doubt those with an agenda to keep lockdown in place for many months to come will use this as justification for full lockdown again.

Date: 02 June, 2020 08:05

Well, that would be my concern. There are good medical, economical and social reasons to pitch the easing of the lockdown at a certain rate. But this sort of behaviour shouldn't really influence it. It's going to happen, it might even be a bit worse than usual, but it's pretty inevitable if you restrict people's behaviour for a prolonged time that you'll get a reaction.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2020 08:40

Lets say that track and trace works perfectly, (assumption I know), lets also say that ignoring litter and substance abuse the behaviour spreads the virus.

What will happen from now on will not be a full scale reversion OB and DR. It should result in cases, identification and LOCAL lockdown where the cases live not where they caught the virus.

Thats not perfect of course but it is more specific. I like the idea of local lockdowns the transgressors get sanctioned.

Has to work of course to do that!

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2020 09:08

Quote:
shipwrecked
Lets say that track and trace works perfectly, (assumption I know)... I like the idea of local lockdowns the transgressors get sanctioned.

The obvious flaw with this is that many of the most selfish, anti-social individuals aren't local! As with most things surrounding this virus there aren't any easy solutions!

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2020 09:13

Quote:
TomReagan
Quote:
shipwrecked
Lets say that track and trace works perfectly, (assumption I know)... I like the idea of local lockdowns the transgressors get sanctioned.

The obvious flaw with this is that many of the most selfish, anti-social individuals aren't local! As with most things surrounding this virus there aren't any easy solutions!

Thats the point Tom not local to the location of the infection, local to where the infected person lives as they take the infection home with them.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2020 10:57

Quote:
TomReagan
Quote:
shipwrecked

If you’re a young person forced to stay at home for 10 weeks for no valid reason due to the minimal risk are you going to bother getting tested? I think not as it could lead to multiple 14 day isolations.

As for local lockdowns, would we notice much difference? The shops may be open in the government’s view, but in reality they’re not with social distancing causing queues. Who queues to go into a shop?

It’s time for the needs of our young to take priority as they are the future. I’m not young and don’t have any close relatives that are young, but I do feel sorry for them, they have been forced to give up their lives.

Current Page: 40 of 91
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net