Current Page: 1 of 2
Now for the Covid Cash Crunch for Elite Rugby
Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 16:25

Players at some GP teams think their club will be bust by Christmas

I fear there'll be some significant restructuring of all GP clubs across the next 4/6 weeks before any attempted conclusion of 19/20 - with some facing absolutely devastating remedial action to stay afloat. Will these clubs most under financial threat be allowed to fold? I guess the precedent exists with the demise of Richmond and London Scottish.

One club already taking steps to boost cash flow :-

Worcester reduce ST prices to 2013/14 levels

"Worcester have decided to test the market for next term by reducing prices to 2013/14 levels, a price that will remain the same for 2021/22 for any supporters who purchase tickets now. "

Just out of interest - what % difference would there be for a Bath ST from 2013/14 to that of 2019/20? I would appreciate any observations on that point.

(Sm72)

Re: Now for the Covid Cash Crunch for Elite Rugby
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 16:44

started at £343 for adults.

[www.bathrugby.com]

not entirely sure what this compared with...maybe £399 for the blue seats?

[www.bathrugby.com]

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Date: 20 May, 2020 16:46

This is interesting.

'We’ve got this extraordinary scenario where the top players are earning stratospheric money and the squeezed middle are getting contract renewals at 20-30% below what they’re currently on.'

I wonder if that's why Bath are so late playing their hand?

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 16:48

Perhaps the way forward is for the TV coverage to be restructured so that televised games cost more to view. That way supporters cash that would otherwise be spent on a ST goes to TV instead who then pass on the extra charge, or part of it, to the clubs.

Date: 21 May, 2020 08:09

Premier clubs fail to agree return to trainning protocols..........

You'd have thought, if the requirement for revenue generation is so acute, that the team managers might think a little outside of the box and establish some lines of communication with similar sporting entities?
What's to stop the Manager at Farleigh picking up the phone and establishing a line of communication with his counterpart at a Bundesliga club to share best practice principles on return to training at least as point of reference?

Rugby specific advice could be obtained from NZ Super Franchises who kick-off on 13th June?

It's a farce.

(Sm72)

Date: 21 May, 2020 08:35

Salary reductions to become permanent

"Just to give you some idea, five years ago about five players in the Premiership were earning a salary of £300,000 or more. In the five years since then, it’s somewhere around about 100 players are earning that sort of level............. “Multiple sources indicated on Tuesday night that Wasps have informed staff and players that the cuts will become permanent, while players at Gloucester and other clubs have already been warned that reductions are likely to extend for the duration of current contracts.”

Will Bruce follow suit ?

(Sm72)

Date: 21 May, 2020 08:52

‘Squads are expected to resume training this week against a backdrop of unrest. The pay cuts are regarded as a breach of contract, which would allow players to move on whenever they wish. With the vast majority of the Premiership united in a pledge not to poach from each other, there are already rumours about defections to Japan, where there is financial stability and high wages.’

I think that Exeter didn’t even cut wages? It seems that the Premiership clubs / model is on the verge of collapse if this report is true.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 09:28

Permanent salary cuts would be breach of contract wouldn't it?

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 09:41

I think a lot of this, whilst unconfirmed, seems pretty inevitable. Whilst many fans need the optimism generated by a marquee signing or two as a positive distraction I think it helps explain why Bath are keeping their cards close to thir chest. The game does face upheaval, so perhaps not the time to be committing cash when you don't know what the future holds, and most experts say an Autumn/Winter spike is inevitable, which might have an impact should rugby be up and running by then.

Date: 21 May, 2020 10:35

So if you have offered a player a new contract, or a new player a contract for the first time (such as Spencer), does this mean that you are now saying that they will only get 75% of the contract value? I would assume that you would have to or the other players would revolt...

sounds very messy.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 10:40

Be interesting to see if there are any players unhappy enough to forego their international career for the cash in Japan.

Date: 21 May, 2020 10:46

Quote:
OutsideBath
Be interesting to see if there are any players unhappy enough to forego their international career for the cash in Japan.

Just after a world cup I'm not sure it would be a career they are forgoing, just a 'sabbatical'. If the international matches are shelved because of a lack of cash / crowds I would assume that the England guys wouldn't be getting their £23k match fee anyway? A year in Japan doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 11:06

Trying to agree a contract from either side, based on where we are today sounds crazy.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 11:43

Quote:
Bod
Players at some GP teams think their club will be bust by Christmas
I fear there'll be some significant restructuring of all GP clubs across the next 4/6 weeks before any attempted conclusion of 19/20 - with some facing absolutely devastating remedial action to stay afloat. Will these clubs most under financial threat be allowed to fold? I guess the precedent exists with the demise of Richmond and London Scottish.

One club already taking steps to boost cash flow :-

Worcester reduce ST prices to 2013/14 levels

"Worcester have decided to test the market for next term by reducing prices to 2013/14 levels, a price that will remain the same for 2021/22 for any supporters who purchase tickets now. "

Just out of interest - what % difference would there be for a Bath ST from 2013/14 to that of 2019/20? I would appreciate any observations on that point.

(Sm72)

To be fair to Richmond and London Scottish they weren't so much allowed to fold as forced to merge with London Irish (into a new club called London Irish!) when the Premiership wanted to reduce the number of clubs in the competition.

Ironically of all clubs scheduled to be in the top two tiers next season Richmond are probably in the strongest position being a part-time outfit who only pay a basic standard appearance fee to their players.

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 12:35

Quote:
BathMatt53
Just after a world cup I'm not sure it would be a career they are forgoing, just a 'sabbatical'. If the international matches are shelved because of a lack of cash / crowds I would assume that the England guys wouldn't be getting their £23k match fee anyway? A year in Japan doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

Agree although it's worth noting that the RFU has suggested that England match fees will be reduced. Even so the Internationals will be in a much better position and as mentioned above it will be the middle that really gets squeezed. The sort of great clubman who is available most of the season and is off the International radar.

I also think it is quite a gamble re International selection. For me Maro is the single player in the whole England squad who I'd say could be confident of leaving for a season and coming straight back in. Him aside I'd say that even the best of the rest have back-ups more than capable of both stepping up and making their recall far from a given. So a big risk. Also I think quite a few of those Internationals have an eye on the upcoming Lions tour if it goes ahead so they may want to stay on the radar (even if that's in France) rather than go for the money in Japan.

Marchant is an interesting case in that regard. pre-covid his call to play in Super rugby for a season seemed very bold to me with him being on the fringes of England selection. Personally I think his being away meant he missed out on being part of the RWC squad but equally he may come back from the SH a better player? Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Is there anyone in the Bath squad you feel should because of the money on offer or a chance at having a sort of paid sabbatical should take a season playing in Japan or elsewhere?

Date: 21 May, 2020 13:21

Quote:
OldMarovian
Quote:
BathMatt53

Agree although it's worth noting that the RFU has suggested that England match fees will be reduced. Even so the Internationals will be in a much better position and as mentioned above it will be the middle that really gets squeezed.

Is there anyone in the Bath squad you feel should because of the money on offer or a chance at having a sort of paid sabbatical should take a season playing in Japan or elsewhere?

I think that Ant Watson is good enough that he could probably do what he wants and he would be offered a role and decent salary.

Other possibilities - Someone like Joe C wouldn’t have too much trouble getting a contract after a period away I would guess but it all just depends on him staying fit. Eddie seems to like Underhill. That’s about it for Bath players I would imagine?

Date: 21 May, 2020 13:22

How many might the Japanese wish to accommodate? They're blooding their own looking towards 2023 I'd expect.
(Sm72)

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 13:50

I think they'd do it at their own risk. International selection can be fickle. Some youngster comes in while you're away and you might end up having to fight to get back in with neither age nor experience on your side.

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 14:25

Quote:
BathMatt53
I think that Ant Watson is good enough that he could probably do what he wants and he would be offered a role and decent salary.

Other possibilities - Someone like Joe C wouldn’t have too much trouble getting a contract after a period away I would guess but it all just depends on him staying fit. Eddie seems to like Underhill. That’s about it for Bath players I would imagine?

I did think of all three players you mentioned. France might be an option but I think that Watson in particular, as a past starter, must surely have an eye on the Lions tour so probably wants to keep himself visible. For me he is an outstanding talent but I think it would be a huge gamble to be out of Jones plans for a season. The competition on the wing is pretty tough. May and Nowell fit might already rule him out of starting and if his absence opens up an opportunity for Coka or Thorley I could see it being tricky for him. Likewise Underhill with guys like Earl, Simmonds, Willis, etc none of whom offer the same as him but all of whom could easily stake a claim for the start in his absence.

Coka is the interesting one for me as he's still very young but he is and will become a beast IMO. I think he could afford to take a season out and even with his relative quality as an unknown earn very good money in Japan just because of his obvious talent. I did wonder about Mercer too?

Dan Wiley makes a good point about the risk you run though. So I think you'd want to be sure it was a really massive payday.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 14:27

There is also the Eddie factor, if you feel your face doesn't fit for whatever reason then less to lose if you have a gut feel you won't get into the team however well you play.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net