Current Page: 1 of 3
SILVER BULLET? ONE FANTASY SIGNING
Posted by: Comeonmylovers.co.uk (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 07:41

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 11:45 by P G Tips.

Re: SILVER BULLET? ONE FANTASY SIGNING
Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 08:01

We need a highly experienced, bl00dy minded 10 who will drive the rest of the team and who will not accept second best. He doesn't need to be the best 10 in the world, but he does need to be an absolute on-field b@st@rd. We're too feckimg nice amd we have been for 20 years. In order of preference, Dan Biggar, Owen Farrell, Jonny Sexton.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/06/2020 08:02 by joethefanatic.

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 08:41

Agree Joe - and yours is an exciting fantasy trio- but can any of them be enticed away from their current club, even for a gold pig?

PG

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 09:05

Looking at the squad I'm inclined to think they are all talented obviously but well spoken, do we even have a candidate for nastiness or attitude. Not sure if Ben Spencer fits the bill but thats the area of the pitch it works best. (Faf de Klerc).

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 10:11

I believe Spencer has proved to be a very effective tee kicker, evidenced by Saracens often turning to him as and when Farrell is subbed or carrying a knock.

Regrettably I don't realistically believe we can attract the quality of 10 Joe talks about, or give them enough game time. Thetefore my choice of a beligerent driving fly half top goal kicker would be either Steenson or Gopporth. Both appear very happy in their final year's contracts but wonder if they would fancy a final hurrah to exceptional domestic carreers? My choice would be Steenson, mainly because of his dead eyeed kicking ability. However prizing him away from Exeter where his wife is a doctor and he has an interest in a pub business would be very difficult indeed.

Hopefully, this would give time for one of the youngsters like Bailey to come through, or we find another top rated youngster. Again, my choice of English qualified players would be Malins if we could persuade him to come as RP's long term replacement.

Pure speculation and no little fantasy hope.

Adopted player 2020/21 Beno 'the Transformer' Obano

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.The Jink Joseph.
Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: Dave248 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 10:15

Good post. Frustrates me that the one key position we need is the most important one on the pitch. Also frustrates me that yet again itís sort of a scramble to find one. If RP is our starting ten next season then bye bye any hope of improving

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 11:22

"my choice of a beligerent driving fly half top goal kicker would be either Steenson or Gopporth"

.... so basically Priestland, but 3 years older and with a combined big fat zero international caps compared to Rhys' 50?

You might want to up your fantasy-game, lad.

Date: 23 June, 2020 12:38

There was an interview on BT's rugby world where Stuart Hooper was talking about the season and the disruption. SH talked about the 'impatient international' who were keen for success, naming Priestland, Faletau, JJ, Watson and Underhill as co thinkers on that theme.

He also highlighted the academy influence. no mention of a 10, but he seemed up for some success.

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 12:58

I wonder, with your permission PG, whether I couldn't go even more fantasy and use a Time Machine or a Cloning Machine and get a 25 year old, with proper knees who was not going to play for South Africa..............BUTCH JAMES........

Even in the fantasy world NOT FARRELL please

I also like Joel Hodgson...........28, not going to be picked for England, but did play for the 7's, fits neatly in age between RP and OB3 (is it 3?)............given he is at Newcastle and they have all been furloughed and had pay cuts he would n't break the bank but he does "run about a lot" and does "break the line" which will be something of a differentiator from RP.............(Sm164)

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 13:05

BSJ

A Butch James figure (in his prime) is exactly what we need.
Good game control, pretty reasonable goal kicking stats, happy to do the unexpected - real vision and feistily aggressive.

Big flaw? today he would be carded most matches for his tackling.

That said, if there is a younger version of him available I would say yes.

PG

Date: 23 June, 2020 14:33

Butch James. What a revelation (to me, anyway). I had him down as a big-boot-bok-bosh merchant. Absolutely phenomenal sleight-of-hand and confidence. Would Hooper back a rip-up-the-script player like that?

Funnily enough, I think Rhys Priestland could play like that. From what i've been told he has fantastic skill levels - but he just doesn't exude Butch's 'just give me the ball and i'll sort it out' confidence.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 14:34

Quote:
Optimist
"my choice of a beligerent driving fly half top goal kicker would be either Steenson or Gopporth"
.... so basically Priestland, but 3 years older and with a combined big fat zero international caps compared to Rhys' 50?

You might want to up your fantasy-game, lad.

I see a significant difference in the playing styles of Priestland v Steenson/Gopperth and it is in the term 'belligerent driving'

For me Priestland appears almost passive in his attack game. You certainly wouldn't use the word 'drive' to describe his natural style with the other two mentioned there is definitely an edge to their game that Rhys just doesn't seem to bring

I'm not saying I would necessarily want either of those two recruited into the BBW but I do want to see a bit more oomph and urgency in our attack at times

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 14:39

YES +1 million

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 16:46

Interesting question and from the outside perspective I'd say a 100% Head Coach.

I'll admit to not following Bath especially closely but I don't feel that there is an especially obvious Bath "DNA" or whatever you call a defined playing-style. For me that's an issue and it's reflected in the somewhat muddled team balance I see when Bath play sometimes (some of the most exciting backs in the league and Preistland?? to release their potential ...) I think teams who have been successful tend to have that style that is clear and everyone is on the same page.

I think you get that direction from the top down and it starts with the Head Coach.
I do think there is sadly a bit of a question about how attractive a proposition Bath is for the best candidates out there. It should be a first-class one but the impression of an over-involved owner and an under-experienced DoR is perhaps not the most enticing combination?
With Craigs money the guys I'd be after are Sanderson or Hepher but I doubt that either would move as they have their futures clearly mapped at their current clubs. I think Lancaster could be an excellent choice but why would he want to leave Leinster? Give the Crusaders another go with the real deal in Scott Robertson?
It soon becomes clear when you list candidates that there really aren't a wealth of great coaches out there just waiting to step in but I do think you can make more impact there than with any single player.

Date: 23 June, 2020 17:31

OM, might not bean obvious Bath DNA now but it was always stylish attacking play, thats what us fans yearn to see return. Thats why Hooper is DOR as only Mike Ford got close to delivering the required style of play. Problem was his ego and libido got in the way!

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 17:42

That's certainly how I'd have classed it in the past shipwrecked but from Blackadder on that seems to have got a bit lost. Is that what Bath supporters think Hooper will deliver?

Date: 23 June, 2020 18:59

Quote:
OldMarovian
That's certainly how I'd have classed it in the past shipwrecked but from Blackadder on that seems to have got a bit lost. Is that what Bath supporters think Hooper will deliver?

Great question, its a hope, I can see the logic in building a dominant pack as an attacking base. The Hooper appointment is to build a 'club centric' approach with the academy providing half the team.
Exeter type thinking, Hooper will need help as lets face it forwards don't make good backs coaches or mentors. Problem is had we had any sort of season we could have worked out where the coaching gaps are.
Dempsey needs to show he can can convert quick ball from the forward into sparkling rugby, we haven't seen any thing like that but in my view Ben Spencer or a class 9 is essential in that quest.

I'd rather not see us kick for territory then convert from 15 m out, there are some on here who would I don't think Dempsey can do it without help. What I'd like to think is that we have coaching talent to fill that gap. Am I confident its there? Not really but cometh the hour cometh the man is the saying, question is which man?

Posted by: Bepetas (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 19:34

Quote:
OldMarovian
Give the Crusaders another go with the real deal in Scott Robertson?

Scott Robertson would be a really interesting addition to the Bath coaching set up, he's a bit eccentric, full of energy and positivity, he's been very successful and has a great record bringing through younger players. A move abroad would probably be good for him too, a successful stint in the northern hemisphere may help him land the All Blacks job in the future!

Posted by: charlieboa (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2020 20:02

For me an exciting, innovative head coach with a clear view on how he wants to play the game would be ideal.

On the playing side a 10/12 who can ensure we develop bailey, redpath, ojo at the right pace and who is the right sort of character to really drive their development and be a role model they learn from.

Date: 24 June, 2020 10:08

Players like Farrell, Ford, Sexton are 'coaches on the pitch'. That's what we need most. Two birds with one stone.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net