Current Page: 1 of 8
O/T Insidious racism and fascism: George Floyd theme reprise
Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2020 11:50

Not sure if there is interest in continuing this debate but this is an excellent article that charts the rise of American fascism and the consequential racist aggression.

[www.nybooks.com]

Too many chilling parallels with some aspects of our own country for me. Could it happen here?

Only hoping a few more people will read the article but happy to discuss further if anyone interested

Re: O/T Insidious racism and fascism: George Floyd theme reprise
Posted by: Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2020 14:33

Very interesting and very very worrying...

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2020 15:07

This line stands out:

Quote:
conspicuous features are recognizably shared, including: nostalgia for a purer, mythic, often rural past; cults of tradition and cultural regeneration; paramilitary groups; the delegitimizing of political opponents and demonization of critics; the universalizing of some groups as authentically national, while dehumanizing all other groups; hostility to intellectualism and attacks on a free press; anti-modernism; fetishized patriarchal masculinity; and a distressed sense of victimhood and collective grievance.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2020 15:25

I am quite possibly naive in these things but is anyone else optimistic that although modern communications makes it easy to spread nasty idealistic stuff that government agencies and the mainstream media should be all over that type of thing quickly?

A bit glass half full maybe but not so difficult to counteract as in previous generations?

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2020 15:53

[www.bbc.co.uk] - Facebook feeling backlash

[www.bbc.co.uk] - IT minority viewpoint

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 00:13

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/TVC2iclTcUQ/hqdefault.jpg

https://thefederalistpapers.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/25994679_1572379886163202_3595077153156976184_n_360.jpg

T'was ever thus

(Sm3)

Date: 28 June, 2020 00:23

Please make a point rather than posting random memes.

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 00:53

I made my point.
I guess you're perhaps too blind to see it.
Or don't want to?
Anyway, that's my contribution to your echochamber so far.

Don't tell me how or it what way I'm allowed to contribute unless it's offensive or abusive.

I find it amusing that the most "fascistly" intolerant of freedom of speech and belligerently insulting of a dissenting POV are the leftist liberals.

https://youngblkrepub.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/dscn1082.jpg

(Sm72)

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 09:17

I don't know what point you were trying to make.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 10:00

People will hear about events and wonder why some have taken such actions...and if those actions are typical and precedented, they might come to the conclusion that this is the way it is, and they'll be sceptical that things will change. It takes two to do that.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 10:29

Crikey bod. You've taken offence where there's none apparent, let alone anything 'belligerently insulting'. You've shouted 'Don't tell me how or it what way I'm allowed to contribute' when no-one has got anywhere close to suggesting that you can't. And then you've given offence by calling those people fascists, who are 'intolerant of freedom of speech'. And, sorry - we're the 'snowflakes' right?

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 10:37

Quote:
DanWiley
I don't know what point you were trying to make.

Frustrating isn't it, my wife does the same, fantastic person and I love her to bits but she seems to think everyone can hear what she is thinking so some comments make absolutely no sense simply because there is no context.

Dan's right here, there is a need to explain the point or that post is ignored and you just move on.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 10:58

I ageee Opti.

Bod - once again, please keep it civil.

PG

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 11:29

Gaz, you ask could it happen here and the answer obviously is yes, anything is possible, but it is also possible in almost any other country in the world and far more likely in a lot of other countries than over here. Equally we could become communist, but again unlikely.

We have freedom of speech which means people are allowed, within the law, to offer their opinions and those who disagree can challenge them. A proportion of the population are trying to water down this freedom of speech and to a degree are succeeding, but as long as we have it there will be people at both extremes preaching hate in various forms, I am optimistic the bulk of the population in the middle will see the extremists for what they are and reject them.

Date: 28 June, 2020 11:51

Well the point I took from Bod's posting was that when you can get a Black economist to back Trump then the insidious indicator has hit 100% and the revolution is complete but I'm guessing that isn't the point he was trying to make

Date: 28 June, 2020 12:01

warrenball, there is zero chance this country could become a communist state. The democratic forces and structures, thankfully are far too deep and strong. And anyway one of the key arguments in the article is that fascism won't be an imported thing, it will evolve incrementally into a nation's behaviour and culture

I take your point about other countries will be just as, if not more vulnerable. Hungary, Italy and Poland are probably the most likely ones there but we can't control what goes on there. My worry is that too much of what appears to be the America First playbook seems to be either happening here or has considerable potential to happen

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 13:55

There is racism everwhere in all countries from all races...
i dont think you'd have to look hard for examples...
Europe, Americas, Middle East, Eastern blocs, Far east, Africa.
And probably on a far worse scale...

Posted by: Barnoid (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 14:08

Great albeit quite alarming article Gaz. Thanks for sharing.

In return, I can wholeheartedly recommend this video which I think is pertinent to the conversation and some of the responses posted 'ere. The description reads: "University of Washington professor Dr. Robin DiAngelo reads from her book "White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism," explains the phenomenon, and discusses how white people can develop their capacity to engage more constructively across race."

Date: 28 June, 2020 14:32

No one can work out what your point is Bod, you appear to be posting US Republican electoral literature from (at best) 8 years ago. I didn't tell you what to do, I asked you to make a point. We're generally happy to let threads meander, but the preference is to keep them roughly to topic.

Freedom of Speech (which, to be clear, we don't have stated as an explicit right like in the US and is already limited, such as by hate-speech, libel) protects you from the government prosecuting you. Not quite sure how this is being watered down.

Posted by: BBandW (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 14:39

A friendly word Bod - never a good idea to post in the early hours of the morning. People might wonder if you are tired and emotional.

Current Page: 1 of 8
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net