Current Page: 1 of 7
So... George Ford
Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 00:06

The reports coming out of the Tigs at the moment suggest Ford may become available in the not too distant.

Would we take him back? We need a top class fly half. He is undeniably a fabulously gifted and very ambitious 10 who would provide that on-field direction we so desperately need. But he's also a divisive character who's shown he's quite prepared to throw other players, or even whole clubs, under the bus if it advances his career. Would we be prepared to risk building our team around him for the next 3 years? Would he insist on bringing his Dad?

I'd say yes to my original question. I dislike George Ford but he's what we need. I was at that 2015 semi-final and I've never been so emotional watching Bath play before or since. Once in 20 years isn't enough.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2020 00:14 by joethefanatic.

Re: So... George Ford
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 00:17

It would be good but it would never happen, Hooper wants to build for the future not reverting to the past.
Bruce wouldn't put up with it either, that ship has sailed I reckon Joe.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 00:32

Of course we would take him back, he's top quality, and miles better than Burns.

Would he come back under Bruce Craig? No way.

Date: 30 June, 2020 00:42

Quote:
ballsout
Of course we would take him back, he's top quality, and miles better than Burns.
Would he come back under Bruce Craig? No way.

Bruce has something that the Tigs don't and that Ford evidently values enough to place his future at Leicester at risk. Cash.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Date: 30 June, 2020 00:51

You are forgetting Hooper, will BC dismantle his 'build a Bath culture' for one man? I really doubt it.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Date: 30 June, 2020 03:52

Quote:
shipwrecked
You are forgetting Hooper, will BC dismantle his 'build a Bath culture' for one man? I really doubt it.

I'm not sure we know how Hoops feels about Ford. The big question for me is, if Hats is secretly Head Coach as Rhys Webb seems to think, how do he and Dempsey feel about Ford. Their brief is success now. Hoops' brief as DOR is the structure to support longer term success. The culture we are developing is going to have to be strong enough to handle the people we need, and some of them are going to be awkward b@st@rds.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 07:36

Big fan of George's rugby, would otherwise have him in my team in a heartbeat, but I just don't like going back over history, particularly when it's a little jaded.

That said, still tempted. We'd be dangerously close to a serious team.

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 08:20

Might need a decision before then, but wouldn't his availability be a big factor, and to know that we'd have to see what changes occur, if any, as part of this aim to create a global calendar. There is talk of even more international rugby at the expense of the club game to generate cash to fill the empty coffers.

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 08:22

Interesting question Joe.

Like Dan I would take George the player in a heartbeat. With him at the helm we looked and played our best for nearly 20 years.

George the squad member? Not sure. I actually think Hoops would entertain the idea- but would need to be absolutely certain of George's motives and commitment to the squad vision.

The key point is -why is he suddenly becoming available? As the man who almost single handedly over the past 2 seasons kept Leicester's results from disaster, why would the club let him go?

Reports in The Times this morning are that he, Tuilagi and Genge are the leading "contract rebels" refusing to take a salary cut to help the club's finances. That is not a good signal.

PG

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 08:22

Doubt we have the cap but I’d take him by in an instant. Without a doubt.

Not that I can ever see it happening, given our history with him and his father.

Wonder if his girlfriend still lives in the area? Wonder if Hooper could talk him round?

Posted by: dannyf2 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 08:26

Absolutely no chance he'd come back. He was reported to hate Bruce because of the way his dad went.

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 08:38

Cash is king, but as good a player as George is, I don't think he will want to come back to Bath or it being good for the club's future.

Personally I do not think it wise t lo return to a previous job once left and, more importantly, from what we read, Bruce wouldn't continence it.

George is not thinking of his existing club or its long term future, or their other players, just himself. I sincerely hope Mr Hooper and the management at Bath send him away if he asks, which I cannot see him doing.

Where he will go if true is interesting. Do Bristol want another fly half or the Chiefs?

Mind you I have always liked Genge and would sign him in a heart beat. He might end up going home to Bristol.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2020 08:54 by Bathovalballer.

Posted by: WestonLurker (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 08:48

Quote:
Bathovalballer
Personally I and more importantly, from what we read, Bruce wouldn't continence it.

There's an image to forget...

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 08:59

Player.........very good

What would the impact be on the squad culture............probably not good

Person who pays...........I would imagine there is no way Mr Craig would endorse having him back given the trauma the Club went through last time. I am sure we were only ever aware of a fraction of it in the public domain.

George and Bruce............I suspect both would turn the other down with equal vigour!

In the "modern era" is a player like GF real value for money? I would say probably Yes but I think that many of the very highly paid players are not. After Toby Faletau I suspect (I think I probably know) Mr Craig will shy away from the highly paid CURRENT international player transferring in.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 09:26

In today’s episode of the Moral Maze! This one’s got the lot. Can’t help wondering whether George is using this as an excuse to get out of Leicester, who may be rebuilding sensibly but are probably 5 years away from success. Is it too far-fetched to see him ending up at Sarries?

What irony it would be for Rhys - who had to make do with 3 minutes a week when George was here.

As a player .... GF is the precise jigsaw-piece we’re missing.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 09:26

Have we full recovered from his flouncing off from us? I think the bridges are being built but as good a player as he is it would not be in the best interests of the squad to have him back.

The fact that he is one of the ringleaders in this dispute at Leicester to me says no thanks.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2020 09:27 by CoochieCoo.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 09:40

Quote:
Bathovalballer
Cash is king

Given that he doesn't want to take a pay cut and that he couldn't be a marquee is Bath actually better able to afford him than anyone else domestically?

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Date: 30 June, 2020 09:55

All this assumes he is off, thats not certain though is it. Won't both sides want a last minute solution especially with Manu and Genge involved, 3 key players that are virtually impossible to replace!

Posted by: jayeatman (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 10:04

Seems to me if he wants to keep playing for England, he has two choices:
1. Take the pay cut and stay at Leicester
2. Bath. The only Prem club with an obvious vacancy and a budget to go with it.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas
2019/20 Semesa Rokoduguni

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 30 June, 2020 10:53

My guesstimate is that he will stay at Leicester. His father is now on the Coaching Team. Sounds to me rather like his Agent just wanting to up the anti with Leicester.

Some of you need to get a grip fantasising that he would remotely (as in the last rugby club on the planet) reconnect with Bath. That said he is still one of the best fly half's for game mgt and place kicking I've ever seen in his generation.

Current Page: 1 of 7
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net