Current Page: 1 of 2
Hoops on leavers and joiners
Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 10:28

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Re: Hoops on leavers and joiners
Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 11:00

No mention of any further recruitment.
However, interesting that the backdrop included the promotions to Senior Academy. I wonder if that implies an intent to blood them in the first team this coming season?

PG

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 11:03

He always looks and sounds really bored. He is basically the anti-Lam in interviews.

[Adoptee that I didn't get: Josh Matavesi]

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 11:08

Quote:
BathMatt53
He always looks and sounds really bored. He is basically the anti-Lam in interviews.

Needs an interviewer that doesn't know him perhaps, I thought he was going to look round the room in one of the pauses!

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: FourSticks (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 11:58

I thought it was Steve Davis...

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 12:40

I do find Mr Hooper extremely dull when he talks and he comes across as so uninspiring. In this interview it seems to me that he is a little bored, not wanting to be there and really doesn't feel it is necessary for him to do it. Not the leader or motivator of men which we as a club so desperately need.

When you compare him to other D of R's like Lam, Baxter, Diamond, Ackerman or even Mc Call, his style is just so stilted and banal.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 12:57

BoB

I agree that his presentation is not that of an orator or sparkling extrovert.

However - professional players (e.g Rhys Webb) would disagree with you about "the leader or motivator of men which we as a club so desperately need."

PG

Date: 01 July, 2020 13:10

I am glad to hear that the players appear to think differently PGT, but, as an outsider who might possibly be looking to join us, his demeanor lacks good PR and enthusiasm to me. These days it is very important as are first impressions.

The Jink Joseph.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 13:40

Quote:
Bathovalballer
I am glad to hear that the players appear to think differently PGT, but, as an outsider who might possibly be looking to join us, his demeanor lacks good PR and enthusiasm to me. These days it is very important as are first impressions.

Maybe to you BoB but I understand that he is well regarded in rugby circles and by his peers.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 13:44

I think the ability to get something out of the team is the quality you need...being great at interviews is neither here or there, imv...
look at shifty McCall...dull as dishwasher but no one can say he isnt good getting his team to play...

Date: 01 July, 2020 13:52

Quote:
John Tee
dull as dishwasher

My AEG FSS63707P isn't dull - A+++ rated for efficiency and can take a whole dinner set for 6 people on a Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 01 July, 2020 15:50

Bathmatt53, surely on Sunday afternoon one's AEG FSS63707P will be dealing with a 6 piece lunch set?

Date: 01 July, 2020 16:04

Quote:
TomReagan
Bathmatt53, surely on Sunday afternoon one's AEG FSS63707P will be dealing with a 6 piece lunch set?

Interesting point TR - maybe we should post a new O/T thread about what people call lunch, dinner, supper and, as in this case, a lazy 3pm Sunday Roast? Now, when does the rugby start again?!

Date: 01 July, 2020 16:09

You've omitted high tea BM53!

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 11:55

Yes, over the years there have been 2 quite opposing views of Hooper:

1) A somewhat mediocre player, who didnt win anything or stand out in any way and in general seems quite a dreary bloke
2) A leader among men, whose inspirational powers are unparalleled in the world of rugby amongst his peers and his superiors.

Im trying to believe 2.

Date: 02 July, 2020 12:42

We all are Woodpecker, but regrettably we have very little evidence of view 2 over 1. All more than a little concerning for the long term future of Bath Rugby.

The Jink Joseph.

Date: 02 July, 2020 14:15

Quote:
Bathovalballer
we have very little evidence of view 2 over 1

The evidence being that most of the players say that is the case (i.e. that the coaching team is really good) despite what the fans think as a result of his public persona.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 14:35

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Bathovalballer
we have very little evidence of view 2 over 1

The evidence being that most of the players say that is the case (i.e. that the coaching team is really good) despite what the fans think as a result of his public persona.

Results don't backup the comment "the coaching team is really good".

As for his persona, he could be the most boring person on the planet and nobody would care if we won trophies.

Date: 02 July, 2020 17:51

He was the youngest guy to captain a Prem side at Leeds, captained the Saxons and then us so he must have leadership qualities. As a player I thought he was pretty good. It's been pointed out before that we won nothing under his captaincy which I always find amusing as by that criterion we've had over 20 years of carp captains! I almost began giving thought to any correlation between charisma and sporting success, thought how Guardiola and Klopp were both men I can understand are inspirational, then recalled someone's comment on this thread on Mark McCall as a good counterargument and that's as far as my thinking went...

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 18:20

I struggled to muster the enthusiasm to read the back page of The Chron on this topic this afternoon [didn't in the end] never mind watch the video posted above. It's all platitudes, corporate speak and social media management which is fine because that is where we are today. We don't seem to be in the same place as Tigers/L Irish re player relations though it wasn't looking rosy when the temp/voluntary salary reduction discussions were taking place back in March.

Bring on the L Irish match and I will judge Hooper and the squad on the result of that game, then the one at Tigers after that and then Saints etc. Can't say the departures have exercised me too much and the new arrivals need to do their thing on the pitch before I feel able to comment. Roll on mid August is all I can say...

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net