Current Page: 1 of 5
So... Manu Tuilagi
Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 23:34

[www.theguardian.com]

A top lawyer suggesting that Manu could move to another Prem club at a much reduced rate and have the Tigs pay the difference between that and his current contract!

Rubbing salt into the wound doesn't even begin to cover it. But, aside from the huge amusement value, is a perma-injured, away-with-England, but-potentially-matchwinning bosh 12 what we need?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 00:43 by joethefanatic.

Re: So... Manu Tuilagi
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 02 July, 2020 23:47

Quote:
joethefanatic
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jul/02/manu-tuilagi-can-make-claim-against-leicester-for-compensation-says-lawyer
A top lawyer suggesting that Manu could move to another Prem club at a much reduced rate and have the Tigs pay the difference with his current contract!

Rubbing salt into the wound doesn't even begin to cover it! But, aside from the huge amusement value, is a perma-injured, away-with-England, but-potentially-matchwinning bosh 12 what we need?

Does this apply to all the 'let go' players then?

I think we have resolved the centre conundrum with Matevesi, TDG, Ojomoh, Redpath, JJ. It would just mean RP reverting to lobbing it on to Manu. Not sure I've seen Manu pass the ball to be honest. Its not going to make Bath more expansive so no thanks.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 07:39

Asking for a friend... Can he play at 10?

Posted by: dannyf2 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 07:41

No thanks. The guy's a jerk.

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 08:54

No thank you. Mr Tuilagi has become the worst type of mercenary in my view and I don't think he would be a positive addition to our fragile team spirit or a good example to the youngsters.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: ilovebathtime (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 10:04

Out of the 2 I'd prefer to have Eastmond back. Admittedly he hasn't really shone since he left us and has had a lot of injuries, but in terms of a distributing 12's that can get the ball to the outside backs I don't think I have seen many better than him in his spell with us.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 10:10

My season ticket holder friends at Welford Road are pretty happy Eastmond has not signed...........I think we saw the best of him

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 10:25

Would add little value to Bath, but donít agree with the criticism of him relating to money.

Itís a professional sport where money is a factor in the decision making process.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 10:33

Wrong thread sorry!

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 11:19 by shipwrecked.

Date: 03 July, 2020 10:44

These guys don't get it. They are out for themselves. Wouldn't touch a single one of them. Loyalty is priceless.

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 10:50

I guess they can make him redundant, but how much would that cost them, he's been there forever.

Date: 03 July, 2020 10:50

Quote:
dannyf2
Loyalty is priceless.

Tell that to the guys who took a paycut...

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 11:02

Quote:
dannyf2
These guys don't get it. They are out for themselves. Wouldn't touch a single one of them. Loyalty is priceless.

I don't know why Taufua should have any particular loyalty to Tigers. He went there for money, has only played 7 games for them (+2 as sub) and now they want to chop his salary down to a level which may not have interested him in the first place.

[Actively seeking a new adoptee: until I'm assigned one I'm going for Joshua Matavesi]

Date: 03 July, 2020 11:21

Quote:
The Bear
Quote:
dannyf2
Loyalty is priceless.

Tell that to the guys who took a paycut...

I would. And I would thank them and promise that they would be looked after once the biggest economic recession since the 1930s has been managed. The Bank of England predicts that 3.5 million people will be out of work at some point his year - that's over 1 in 10 potential workers. Most rugby players are paid handsomely in an entertainment industry that loses hand over fist.
Or should the owners stack it up in debt, so that the next generation of players can face the problem?

Date: 03 July, 2020 11:58

I was only joshing.

Even though, it is evidently not priceless for the players, the benefits of doing so probably outweigh the risks and definitely looks better in the eyes of the fans.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 12:07

Quote:
woodpecker
I guess they can make him redundant, but how much would that cost them, he's been there forever.

I really can't see how this would fulfil the legal definition of redundancy. There is no diminishing or cessation of the need for the type of work that MT does

If it is a dismissal, it would in legal terms have to be for 'Some Other Substantial Reason' for which there is no compensation per se but needs to be effected in accordance with the contract which is probably where this lawyer is going. If there is no notice in the contract and no clause to give the employer the right to unilaterally vary the wage then Tigers will be in breach of contract

Hence MT accepts the breach, leaves, signs up with another club and sues for the lost income as damages arising from the breach of contract.

And yes, the same process would be open to any other player in similar situations. The way out is through negotiated settlement or just hope player doesn't sue or player gets as good or better deal somewhere else. There is a 6 year time period to register a breach of contract claim so this may hang over the clubs for some considerable time to come, best check insurance policies!

Date: 03 July, 2020 12:16

Its interesting, as far as we know, that all of the other 11 clubs managed to sort it out.............I wouldn't say amicably but let's say realistically.

However Leicester had a problem with say eight players and managed to resolve things with two but could not agree with another six.

They look a real outlier.

I am with Gaz and it looks like wrongful dismissal and therefore associated damages.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 12:58

†....... no diminishing or cessation of the need for the type of work that MT does...
this is not a definition of making someone redundant, imv, in the real world.

The post goes in name, but the idea that the work goes too is quite funny.
Im pretty sure anyone who has been close to that situation will attest.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 13:38

Quote:
John Tee
†....... no diminishing or cessation of the need for the type of work that MT does...
this is not a definition of making someone redundant, imv, in the real world.

The post goes in name, but the idea that the work goes too is quite funny.
Im pretty sure anyone who has been close to that situation will attest.

Bath haven't really used anyone outside the 10 for a couple of seasons - does that count?

[Actively seeking a new adoptee: until I'm assigned one I'm going for Joshua Matavesi]

Date: 03 July, 2020 14:31

Yes you're right Matt perhaps we could put 11 - 15 on zero hours contracts!(Sm124)

Current Page: 1 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net