Current Page: 1 of 2
Key players
Posted by: Bepetas (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 19:08

I appreciate all players have a part to play both on and off the field, but successful teams have a core or key players. In your eyes who are the key players in the Bath squad? Who would you be looking to build a squad around? and why?

Re: Key players
Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 20:01

Quote:
Bepetas
I appreciate all players have a part to play both on and off the field, but successful teams have a core or key players. In your eyes who are the key players in the Bath squad? Who would you be looking to build a squad around? and why?

Hard to say, given that we’re not currently ‘a successful team’.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 20:18

For me it has to be a leader on the pitch who sets an example and can change direction if Plan A isn't working, a Grewcock or a Butch James who runs the show. If he's a 10 then thats perfect. I'm hoping to have one of those at the Rec one day!

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Bepetas (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 20:20

Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Bepetas

That's not very optimistic.
Do you not think there is a core of players within the Bath Squad that a successful squad could built around? Players like Tom Dunn, Beno Obano, Charlie Ewels, Sam Underhill, Zach Mercer...

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 21:13

Agreed on all of those Bepetas.

One or two needed in backs too: I see Spencer as one. Perhaps Redpath may grow into one in time?

PG

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 21:18

I think key players is actually what we're avoiding. Particularly if you look at the pack:

Obano/Boyce
Dunn/Walker
Stuart/Judge
Ewels/McNally
Spencer/Stooke
Williams/Ellis
Faletau/Mercer
Underhill/Bayliss

Date: 12 July, 2020 21:22

The backs are more of an issue:

Spencer/Chudley
Rhys/eeeeep
Cokanasiga/Roko
Redpath/Matavesi
JJ/Wright
RMac/GHW
Watson/TdG

Definite issues at 10, 12,13, wing.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 21:26

Why does everyone ignore Rory Mac? Roko is off isn't he?

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)

I thought about this. The sad truth is we don't have one, and that is the nub of our problem. We need a player to exemplify and drive the way the team plays, a player that the others respect, look up to and obey wholeheartedly. In short, we need a captain. No one in the side jumps out to me as that person. Rhys, JJ, Anthony, Taulupe and Sam all have the seniority as international players/Lions but none are captains.

Traditionally, great captains have come from the second row. England seem to rate Charlie Ewels very highly in all respects. Maybe he is the man to build the side around. But, if he is, he is going to have to become his own man. My perception at the moment is that he is still being formed rather being than the finished product.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)

Quote:
Bepetas
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Bepetas

That's not very optimistic.
Do you not think there is a core of players within the Bath Squad that a successful squad could built around? Players like Tom Dunn, Beno Obano, Charlie Ewels, Sam Underhill, Zach Mercer...

Bath have never had an issue with lack of quality personnel on the pitch. The problem has been getting them to show that quality. One top 4 finish in ten years says it all. Players you mention are quality, are they in an environment where they can be taken to the next level? I don't think so.

Date: 12 July, 2020 21:36

Who are the 'great players' Ex are built around?

Date: 12 July, 2020 21:38

Quote:
hasta

Rob Baxter and Ali Hepher smiling smiley

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Date: 12 July, 2020 21:40

Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
hasta

Rob Baxter and Ali Hepher smiling smiley

Plus Dean Mumm, Dave Dennis, Nic White...

They recruit from the SH very well

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Date: 12 July, 2020 21:46

They're all decent, solid (two of them aren't even still there!) Agreed that the coaches make it. But I'd argue that their core is not let, standout players. They've subsequently sprinkled some stardust (like Hogg).

Date: 12 July, 2020 21:59

Quote:
hasta
They're all decent, solid (two of them aren't even still there!) Agreed that the coaches make it. But I'd argue that their core is not let, standout players. They've subsequently sprinkled some stardust (like Hogg).

But they were what allowed Exeter to build what they have now. Leaders. Now they have Nowell, Slade, Hogg, the Simmonds brothers, LCD, Johnny Gray, Nic White (until this,season) any number of props because they had leaders in tne early days.

There's a thread on this on the Exe board and they think it was Dean Mumm that really kickstarted the belief.

But its the coaching that makes the difference.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2020 22:02 by joethefanatic.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 22:35

The Bristol coaching team is looking really good too, proper set-up over there

Date: 12 July, 2020 22:41

Quote:
ballsout
The Bristol coaching team is looking really good too, proper set-up over there

If our coaching team is as it appears (Hoops DoR,, Hats HC), I have no problem with that but they are inexperienced so results will take time. But the third person in that chain of commend is the captain and that's what I don't see yet.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: sirtidychris (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 23:47

Quote:
hasta
The backs are more of an issue:
Spencer/Chudley
Rhys/eeeeep
Cokanasiga/Roko
Redpath/Matavesi
JJ/Wright
RMac/GHW
Watson/TdG

Definite issues at 10, 12,13, wing.

To be fair Hasta eeeeep is massively underrated, sure some of his passes dont always find the mark but hes trying to play expansive rugby, give eeeeep time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2020 23:47 by sirtidychris.

Date: 12 July, 2020 23:58

Giving eeep 7 minutes at the end of games when we're 13 points down is not the best way to get the most out of eeep, he's forced to overplay and isn't given the chance to learn to control in normal circumstances. It's no wonder he's still so squeaky.

Posted by: dannyf2 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2020 09:07

I get a more positive vibe when Anthony Watson plays. He seems to bring a confidence to the team that there is quality at the back. I think having a world class fullback does a huge amount in the English game, because there's so much kicking. Charles Piutau is the ultimate example.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net