Current Page: 1 of 8
Poll: O/T: Masking up/down?
Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 20:41

Will you be using a mask for your retail therapy from tomorrow?

Yes - No sweat!
Maybe - depends how I feel
No, never - The World's gone mad
Shopping??????
Tsk, tsk, I have my man Simpkins do that sort of thing for me
Amazon/Ocado is all I know these days
Nie rozumiem! Gdzie jest wůdka?

You must be logged in to vote.

39 Votes

Show results

Given the trumpeting of the £100 fines advised for non compliance from tomorrow, if you are found in the pick & mix area without your mask/shield/scarf/crash helmet or other appropriate attire, are you inclined to quickly conform or otherwise?

Given that all the wise and wonderful of the scientific expert types seemed to think it was all twaddle back in March/April - what specifically has changed other than greater availability of PPE.

Is a cultural aversion to masking up a sufficient defence for those who find the concept uncomfortable or difficult to accept or, just do as you're told?

If the staff don't wear masks then why should the clients?

If the Police come to a premises to investigate or prosecute an infraction should they also wear a mask or similar?

Should they use a hand sanitiser before handcuffing the miscreant?

How's it work for a covered market or an open market?

If you only go into Morrisons cafe for your breakfast, or cup of tea and a sticky bun in the afternoon when you're buying 20 B&H do you need to wear a mask? How about at the Petrol pumps?

I'm sure there are plenty of other worrying conundrums vexing the citizens of these shires?

Your views and theories are important!

(Sm85)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2020 20:45 by Bod.

Re: Poll: O/T: Masking up/down?
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 21:01

Its the law - of course we will. We aren't Americans you know. ..'They want to throw God's wonderful breathing system out' and all that crazy talk. Will be interesting to see what happens to those who try and shop without them - I can see some disagreements on the cards, M&S fight club.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 21:48

Why is everyone so exercised about wearing masks? Lots of people do it every day in their jobs to protect their health, this is only an extension of that. Once back in your car you can remove the mask. Is that really so hard?

Posted by: Never In Doubt (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 21:50

Things that have changed since March/April:

1. We are now trying to open up our society rather than lock it down therefore increasing the risk of infection spread
2. Countries that use masks (e.g. Japan 86% & Singapore 90% mask acceptance - Yougov data) have seen much lower deaths (990 & 27 respectively - John Hopkins data) vs UK (>45k).
3. Increased research seems to suggest that countries that accept mask wearing have lower infection rates (Prof Lavoie - Montreal Behavioural Medicine Centre)
4. There is also now some evidence that wearing a mask can provide limited protection to the wearer in low viral load situations (Royal Society - UK national academy of sciences).

Yes it seems reasonable to believe that when there was little actual scientific evidence that wearing masks made a material difference, there was a PPE shortage and we were all in lockdown then wearing masks was not beneficial. It is hardly surprising that there was no scientific evidence at that stage for a novel virus.

Now we are out of lockdown, there is more actual evidence to support wearing masks and we have more PPE then I see very little downside to wearing masks. Given that the virus will not disappear in the near term, there are no approved vaccinces, treatment remains limited; it seems to me logical that we have to change our habits to limit future spikes.

Wearing a mask is no more than a minor inconvenience to me so of course I will do my bit to try and limit the overall impact.

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 22:20

Bod
Is the final question Russian or Serbo Croat?

PG

Posted by: Beergoggles (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 23:14

Breathtaking incompetence from the government. If the mask regulations had come in in parallel with the reopening no one would have blinked. As it is itís almost impossible to argue for the logic of masks optional one month ago, masks mandatory now. Iíll wear one for the minimum amount of essential shopping Iíll do. All discretionary spending will be online.

Posted by: sid the seagull (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 23:46

Niqabs are ok.

PECK

Date: 24 July, 2020 01:03

Quote:
P G Tips
Bod
Is the final question Russian or Serbo Croat?

PG

Polish (I lived there for 3 years 90-93)
"I don't understand,Where do you keep the Vodka ?"

(Sm72)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/07/2020 01:20 by Bod.

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 06:33

I knew what it meant - I learned my Serbo Croat (worked in Montenegro 6 months in same era) phonetically so seldom saw it spelt!

PG

Posted by: Devonport Lad (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 08:41

Right, head above the parapet time. I feel strongly about this - perhaps understandably as the father of a key worker who has worked an incredible number of hours in very challenging conditions over the past months.
Iíve no doubt the BBC will spend the day scouring the country to do ďvox popsĒ with people who think this is all difficult and confusing. Well it isnít. No debate, no polls, no handwringing about civil liberties and loss of personal choice. Unless you are genuinely in one of the exempted categories, JFDI!
(Ducks and stands by for ďincomingĒ!)

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 08:59

Devonport Lad

Don't duck....................it is a very simple thing to do which cannot do any harm and, might, do some good.

In BANES with no new cases for a few weeks it does seem a bit academic.

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 09:02

I wonder if Mr Corbyn or his brother will wear masks as they are so vocal on people's civil and human rights?

Personally I don't like the idea of having people's faces covered as it affects how you interact with one another but will willingly comply with the law, especially if it is deemed for the greater good.

Now I wonder when masked if teachers will be able to consider themselves safe and able to return to work, teaching youngsters who have had very little amounts of the virus? Or will they still be hiding behind the dictats of their Unions and political masters, and going in fear of suffocation and stress of having to contribute to the greater good like virtually every other institution and industry in the country?

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 09:07

Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Devonport Lad
Don't duck....................it is a very simple thing to do which cannot do any harm and, might, do some good.

In BANES with no new cases for a few weeks it does seem a bit academic.

+1

No need to duck, think even in 2020 we are in a free society. Equally no need to wear a mask, just shop online it's simple as that.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 09:16

Itís common sense! When in a crowded area where a mask. I will put it on in a crowded Oxford Street but not when walking in the countryside. Yes I will obey the law and wear a mask in a shop crowded or not.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Posted by: Kaapstad (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 09:22

I won't be wearing one.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 24 July, 2020 10:08

Quote:
Kaapstad
I won't be wearing one.

(Sm16)

Date: 24 July, 2020 10:11

Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Kaapstad
I won't be wearing one.

(Sm16)

And?

Date: 24 July, 2020 10:28

Then expect to get into lots of arguments with people when you are trying to do your shopping. it will be awkward and it will take you twice as long. Just seems to be a cantankerous thing to do just to make some point that doesn't really seem worth making IMO.

Date: 24 July, 2020 10:41

Why would you call out someone not wearing a mask in a shop when the staff are unmasked, and not another person, lingering in a locale for a few hours maskless having a pint or two?
Is there a virtue reference I'm missing?
(Sm3)

Date: 24 July, 2020 10:46

Quote:
Bod
Why would you call out someone not wearing a mask in a shop when the staff are unmasked, and not another person, lingering in a locale for a few hours maskless having a pint or two?
Is there a virtue reference I'm missing?
(Sm3)

I think that the staff have to be masked? Why would someone be drinking a pint in the local co-op for an hour or 2?!

Current Page: 1 of 8
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net