Current Page: 1 of 4
Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 17:33

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Exeter to keep Chiefs name & logo, but retire 'Big Chief' mascot

That is definitely a step in the right direction - lose the 'amusing' caricature IMO. It will be interesting to see how many of their fans slap on the war paint and headdress and wave around a plastic tomahawk...hopefully not many.



[Actively seeking a new adoptee: until I'm assigned one I'm going for Joshua Matavesi]

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 18:11

Ive always said that my main objection is grown men acting like eight year olds rather than whether it could offend a US visitor, let's hope they stop now.

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 18:24

Quote:
woodpecker
Ive always said that my main objection is grown men acting like eight year olds rather than whether it could offend a US visitor, let's hope they stop now.

+1

Grown men wailing whilst wearing ridiculous headdress is annoying and childish. With any luck they will stop and support their fine team in an adult manner instead.

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 18:32

Is it a good move? They are keeping the logo and the name, all the branding will stay exactly as it currently is. I can't see its anything but a token gesture.



https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg


Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 19:36

Who really gives a monkeys'?
(Sm3)

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: Beergoggles (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 20:41

Quote:
Bod
Who really gives a monkeys'?
(Sm3)
Presumably those who’ve posted here.

The faux red indian nonsense is the second most annoying thing about playing Exe. Leaving with our behinds in our hands being the most annoying. Definitely a step in the right direction for Exe.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/07/2020 20:43 by Beergoggles.

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 21:01

Lots of men go to rugby every week and act like 8 year olds, it does not need a feather bonnet to do that. Far more unsightly are the masses of middle aged beer bellies stuffed into rugby shirts in the unfortunate belief it looks attractive.

Whether or not it is cultural appropriation surely depends if the wearer is doing it with the intention of laughing at or trying to degrade the native Americans and obviously they are not, any more than Saracen supporters or Tommy Cooper were trying to decry the culture of Turks or Moroccans

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: @Hydor18 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 22:14

Should Saracens fans stop wearing fezzes?

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 22:30

Have the England football team appropriated African animal images for their team badge?
You'd have an intriguing conversation with Millwall fans on the same subject I'd offer.
(Sm3)

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 00:03

The logo was always lame but only getting rid of the mascot restores a degree of perspective
People seem to like these gestures but dont really seem keen to have proper discussion about the issue.

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 00:13

Quote:
John Tee
The logo was always lame but only getting rid of the mascot restores a degree of perspective
People seem to like these gestures but dont really seem keen to have proper discussion about the issue.

I don't see any rational issue other than something a Students Union debating society would piddle their pants about.

(Sm3)

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: Duke of Earl (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 08:30

Quote:
Bod
Quote:
John Tee
The logo was always lame but only getting rid of the mascot restores a degree of perspective
People seem to like these gestures but dont really seem keen to have proper discussion about the issue.

I don't see any rational issue other than something a Students Union debating society would piddle their pants about.

(Sm3)
+1



Nothing can stop the Duke of Earl

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: Robbinho (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 08:38

Think part of the problem is that Exeter’s ‘review’ was a discussion between their board, who I’m going to go out on a limb and say probably don’t contain any Native Americans.

Equally, I’m guessing none of us commenting are Native American so probably not best placed to determine whether their logo and imagery is offensive.

Nick Mullins shared this twitter thread yesterday which gives a lot of context to Exeter and some US sports teams and how they're viewed by native Americans and the damaging stereotypes they perpetuate.

[twitter.com]

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 09:42

Step 1: Consult actual Native Americans
Step 2: Implement anything reasonable they suggest
Step 3: Play rugby

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: Ali1969 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 09:48

Personally and I stress personally the entire situation of what is "right" or "wrong" has slowly been getting out of control and now we are left with the current situation - basically you cannot speak or literate anything without someone raising objections or pointing a finger of accusation at you, it's like the Pendle Witch trials all over again.

Whilst we will and must continue in the fight to eradicate behaviour which threaten the very fabric of society. We appear to be searching for Utopia which does not exist and my worry is this is playing into the hands of radicalists and bigots who will spin and turn these objections into weapons of hatred.

Where do we draw the line - Did Exeter rugby club when it adopted the name Chiefs go out to offend and ridicule the Native American population - NO. Did Northampton when the club adorned the Saints go out to ridicule and offend ecclesiastical establishments or religions? NO

Personally I think we all need to calm down and concentrate on eradicating the issues which are glaring in our public eye such as directed hatred aimed at players and people based on race, religion, sex, nationality and belief and once these are under control because you will never totally eradicate an ideology then we can consider the non conscious issues.

That's my thoughts anyway, sorry if I have offended anyone no offence meant, just getting a bit fed up of this continual "Witch Hunt/Inquisition" which in my mind acts like a smoke screen for bigger issues in sport and our national community.

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 10:02

Spot on the money Ali.
How've you been fella?
(Sm42)

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 10:13

Quote:
Ali1969
Personally and I stress personally the entire situation of what is "right" or "wrong" has slowly been getting out of control and now we are left with the current situation - basically you cannot speak or literate anything without someone raising objections or pointing a finger of accusation at you, it's like the Pendle Witch trials all over again.
Whilst we will and must continue in the fight to eradicate behaviour which threaten the very fabric of society. We appear to be searching for Utopia which does not exist and my worry is this is playing into the hands of radicalists and bigots who will spin and turn these objections into weapons of hatred.

Where do we draw the line - Did Exeter rugby club when it adopted the name Chiefs go out to offend and ridicule the Native American population - NO. Did Northampton when the club adorned the Saints go out to ridicule and offend ecclesiastical establishments or religions? NO

Personally I think we all need to calm down and concentrate on eradicating the issues which are glaring in our public eye such as directed hatred aimed at players and people based on race, religion, sex, nationality and belief and once these are under control because you will never totally eradicate an ideology then we can consider the non conscious issues.

That's my thoughts anyway, sorry if I have offended anyone no offence meant, just getting a bit fed up of this continual "Witch Hunt/Inquisition" which in my mind acts like a smoke screen for bigger issues in sport and our national community.

Ok but can they stop making those stupid noises the @#$%&

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 10:48

Ali1969 100% spot on.

Herds of people queuing up to be offended on behalf of others seems to be a national sport these days. It is simply ridiculous.

The worst part is that these sideshows can detract from the real issues that should be addressed.

The guys that wear those Roman Soldier helmets at the Rec may offend the waiter at my local Prezzos. It must stop!,,

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 11:14

Well, I only sort of agree, 'remote empathy' can be annoying but its a political tactic to get change.

The point is though that in the country where 'native indians' live, the US, there has been recognition that it was wrong. Washington has dropped the name and the images and changed to Washington Football Team. The point is that "The Redskins" are alive and kicking, the Roman Empire has moved on.

Just because there is an ocean between us and the ethnicity involved doesn't alter the argument in my view.



https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg


Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Re: Chiefs Logo etc
Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 11:27

Sorry personal opinion only ...but wearing war paint and making what they perceive to be traditional are Indian noises is the equivalent of “blacking up” neither should be tolerated in this day and age.
If they want to change it to chieftains and use a logo of a tank fine by me.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net