The new look multi-million pound English Championship
Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 20:11

12 million/year??

I've seen splintered information about this from various sources, but never as comprehensively outlined.

The withdrawal of Academy funding by RFU is interesting and, unless I've misinterpreted, doesn't preclude self-funded Academies, or indeed Academies established outside of England (like some European football clubs have in Africa and S.America). From the Championship sides' POV, the maximum number of over 24s is intriguing -would they ever accumulate enough experienced players to achieve promotion against the Promotions and Relegation Commission's as unexplained bench marks?

(Sm3)

Re: The new look multi-million pound English Championship
Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 08:24

It's an interesting one. There's quite a lot in their that actually seems like it could be a real positive but also a fair bit that seems quite fanciful.

The draft system in especial is an interesting one. On the one hand I think it could be a great way to get a much more balanced Premiership by the top talent being concentrated in fewer clubs but equally I wonder if say a player like Maro would have developed at the same rate at say London Irish for the first two? three years of his senior career.

Purely in terms of the Premierhsp I'd much rather that they raised the number of EQP players needed to get the payment from the RFU that would encourage using the Academies players and also recruiting from the Championship. I'd tie that together with trying to find a way to incentivise investing in Academy players further.

I'll watch how this progresses with interest but given the almighty c*ck up with the age-grade system under Dean Ryan and then Mallinder having previously been a huge strength I don't have the highest degree of faith in the RFU managing the pathway of our best and brightest talent better than the better clubs.

Posted by: Coalminer (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 18:23

So Tom Curry and Jonny Wilkinson made their debuts for England at the age of 18.

Under these new proposals if someone stays at school through sixth form then they wont be allowed to even join a premiership club until they are 19. Doesn't seem right to me

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 00:08

Both Anthony Watson and Ben Youngs made premiership appearances at 17 but is right ? I think backs can get away with starting young more easily than forwards.
I think its right to give our youngsters a go at Bath but with a limited number of games. So I can see where these proposals might well have a point.

Watching the FA Cup final today I was struck by the number of players who needed crutches. I've never seen two players collapse with hamstring injuries in a game before. I'm certain that is down to an over intense schedule instrumented to finish the premiership. the players no get just 3 weeks before the new season starts.

The international schedule alone for rugby looks crazy and rugby is harder on bodies than football. Have to say its a bit worrying. Orlando Bailey might well be a fantastic talent but his game time is going to need close management or he could well have a short career.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 11:58

Quote:
Coalminer
So Tom Curry and Jonny Wilkinson made their debuts for England at the age of 18.
Under these new proposals if someone stays at school through sixth form then they wont be allowed to even join a premiership club until they are 19. Doesn't seem right to me

Will dual registrations get around this?

Which local clubs would Bath be linking with?

(Sm72)

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 12:53

Quote:
OldMarovian
The draft system in especial is an interesting one. On the one hand I think it could be a great way to get a much more balanced Premiership

We already have the Salary Cap as a mechanism to do that?

A draft seems horribly contrived to me - making clubs much less an organic product of the area/town in which they reside, and simply 1/12th of the Premiership which happens to be nearest you. You could move away from Bath, for example, and feel no less affinity for the club nearest to where you end up?

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 13:34

Asking young men to move away from their home just to balance out where the talent goes seems crazy.

having local players come through and develop with a club is one of the best things as a supporter. Having Brothers or sons of former players turn out is too.

This is all about taking control away from clubs IMO.

The way to encourage clubs to invest in EQPs as above alluded to is through incentives. Cap reductions for home grown players (based on years in the academy to reduce poaching or people being listed as academy players for a season) higher minimums for EQPs. Those are the best options and will be easy to do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net