Current Page: 1 of 2
Re: OT/ closing threads
Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 07:22

Sorry, I have to say I've found the closing of threads a little heavy handed. I don't want to criticise the mods, I appreciate the job you do, but they seemed to be two of the most popular threads around right now which, during a difficult time, were serving a valid purpose. I think it was a forlorn hope you might keep one factual, this, is after all, a non expert discussion forum.

I didn't really see any need for editorial actions.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 07:38

100% correct decision IMO (not that I looked at these O/T threads much as thought they were becoming increasingly unpleasant / mouth foamy).

On the plus side...ONLY FOUR SLEEPS UNTIL PREMIERSHIP RUGBY STARTS AGAIN!!! (Can't wait).

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 07:55

Difficult to criticise the mods as they do a job Iím not prepared to do.

Guess the coronavirus threads were getting a bit tetchy like the Brexit thread.

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 07:57

Dan

Only two months ago a visitor from another board had this to say:

""I have to say I really like your board and the interesting people who post here. It's also possible to have a difference of views without it all going pear-shaped which is nice!"

Unfortunately, in a short time, the tone of the coronavirus threads became the opposite of that - because a very small number of posters chose not to debate in reasonable language.

We prefer to be as light touch as possible, but a scrap between two can sometimes spoil the atmosphere for everybody.

PG

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 08:25

I didnt see it like that. I thought the exchange was reasonable because on the one side people were entrenched in the argument for science against others who think a revaluation of the path forward now takes precedence.
If anyone cant take the argument one way of another then that person is free to not contribute to the thread anymore, it didnt need censorship, imv.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 08:43

The threads were closed because the debate started getting personal and that is unacceptable. As regards censorship anyone is perfectly entitled to start new threads but as long as one keeps to the very simple rules and maintain civility,threads will not be closed.

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 09:34

I accept the closures. My comment on the scientific thread is that there was an increasing repetition of comment when that topic had been covered already so you have to ask if posts were actually being read and the links followed!
As an example some of Wooodpecker's post arose from considerable background research.
Posts by some members simply didnít offer any facts and comments were being made unsupported.
Posters such as Joethefanatic and Woodpecker had reduced their posting or stopped doing so. WhichTyler did so a long time ago. I regret the loss of debate of course.

That thread was packed with really useful links and discussions, its big but Iíll review it and extract the major subjects from it and publish it as an e-book. It will be free of course so PM me if your interested. Iím also happy to chat by PM.

Final point, there was some comment that the tone of some of my posting was patronising. If true that was never my intention, I was merely trying to keep my content understandable.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 09:37

Quote:
shipwrecked
Final point, there was some comment that the tone of some of my posting was patronising. If true that was never my intention, I was merely trying to keep my content understandable.

Didn't understand most of it because I'm not clever enough, but the bits that I did understand were informative - thanks for putting in the effort.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 09:54

CC split the thread into scientific and non scientific. The non scientific one was for opinion and conjecture i.e. it could be political.

I assume that even that political one needed to not become personal i.e. there were limits. Why not police those limits on that thread and stop opinion on the other one, rather than close them down? The stuff that's written is still there for all to see and people's opinions and behaviours haven't changed.

Personally what I think is a shame is how everything seems to become polarised and tied to a general political point of view, even a viral pandemic, for example the Sweden debate.

Sweden took a nuanced approach to the pandemic, it wasn't that extreme or different and the results are also not that extreme, or different. It really shouldn't become a political football for either side, because it doesn't actually work for either side, it doesn't even come close to proving the case either way.

Date: 10 August, 2020 10:10

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
shipwrecked

Didn't understand most of it because I'm not clever enough......

Well thats not true BM, different spheres of expertise perhaps, I'd say.

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 10:23

It's not really clear to me what was so bad about either of the threads. As a side point, I didn't find shipwrecked patronising and was enjoying the discussion we were having. Shipwrecked pointed out he took offence at one of my posts I, not particularly sensitively, suggested that he (I probably should have said we) take a break and apart from some baiting from bod we did.

If we start ending threads because they become repetitive or people disagree pretty soon we won't have that many, certainly none of interest.

The only contentious posts I really see are from Bod and, well, that's just Bod. Either ban him or live with him because I can't see him changing. Personally I'd take the approach live with him and ignore him where it gets trying.

Date: 10 August, 2020 10:26

Quote:
woodpecker
I assume that even that political one needed to not become personal i.e. there were limits. Why not police those limits on that thread and stop opinion on the other one, rather than close them down? The stuff that's written is still there for all to see and people's opinions and behaviours haven't changed.

Yes the threads are still there but at least future bickering and personal comments are now stopped.

The answer, Woody, is that we are not 24/7 policing this board. I dread to count the number of times I have extracted opinion from the science thread and transferred them to the discussion thread long after the deed was done.

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 11:30

I think that Covid, and Brexit, are unusual subjects because they have gone on forever, with, currently, no end in sight.

"Normal" threads are very dynamic and then the event happens or does not happen and the thread just fades away.

Consequently when you have a thread getting up to 50 pages there is bound to be some repetition!!!!

Date: 10 August, 2020 12:08

Quote:
DanWiley
It's not really clear to me what was so bad about either of the threads. As a side point, I didn't find shipwrecked patronising and was enjoying the discussion we were having. Shipwrecked pointed out he took offence at one of my posts I, not particularly sensitively, suggested that he (I probably should have said we) take a break and apart from some baiting from bod we did.
If we start ending threads because they become repetitive or people disagree pretty soon we won't have that many, certainly none of interest.

The only contentious posts I really see are from Bod and, well, that's just Bod. Either ban him or live with him because I can't see him changing. Personally I'd take the approach live with him and ignore him where it gets trying.

The offence I took was basically that you questioned whether I understood scientific method, we both agreed to drop it.
The additional comment from Bod was trivial but it was the 'straw the broke the camels back' my comment about silence was intended as a message, basically its best to resist the urge to post sometimes, it wasn't intended for you.

As for ignoring comments, I think CC is right, it just taints the thread, ridiculing graphs or theories is just unnecessary. As does having to dismiss posts that are just misinformation. Its just lazy posting, some topics need to be researched and thought about. I also found the flippant dismissal of number of people who died and 'pub surveys' provocative and tactless.

There is much to still be discussed but the closure does send a message of intent, a total break doesn't hurt for a while and I'm sure a reprise will occur later.

Threads like the coronavirus science thread really need active moderation I can see why the mods got fed up of intervening.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 12:15

I only saw a reliance on science in some posters and a pragmatic theme from others. I thought the content useful and some people put a lot of work in..
The only thing was, imv, science wanted to play with science to the exclusion of other factors but that was what interested those posters.
I sorry a useful thread got closed.
If you want a proper debate you might get into dirty laundry territory but that wasnt the case here as far as i could see.
Opinions on a forum might get close to the mark, it doesnt mean that opinion or point is wrong, it may mean that some people would rather it wasnt said for various reasons.

Its ok the Mods decided to close this but for what it's worth i thought the posters were acceptably civil in an emotive subject, imho.

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 14:24

Just a personal view, I did not find anything in those threads that would have caused me any great upset, although I appreciate the efforts of the moderators and understand it is sometimes not an easy job.

However I hope this does not creep towards the millennial cancel culture where we are frightened that someone, somewhere may get upset. We don't have to read or get involved in any particular thread if we do not like it and although I found a lot of posts repetitious and a bit boring there was a lot of interesting stuff brought out in the discussion of this important subject and this will now be lost in the future.

Posted by: Beergoggles (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 23:04

If there is personal comment then Iíd prefer mods censure the poster rather than close the thread. I posted rarely but dipped in frequently to see what the latest consensus (or not) was. Presumably a new Covid thread can be started if someone has something new to say ?

Date: 11 August, 2020 07:58

Quote:
Beergoggles
If there is personal comment then Iíd prefer mods censure the poster rather than close the thread. I posted rarely but dipped in frequently to see what the latest consensus (or not) was. Presumably a new Covid thread can be started if someone has something new to say ?

Of course!

Posted by: ouch!_that_hurts (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 19:36

Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
Beergoggles

Of course!

Go on someone. I dare you ........................... (Sm159)

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2020 20:02

Would this be 'scientific' or 'up for discussion'?
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net