Current Page: 1 of 2
Rugby must return to normality soon or PR clubs will go bust
Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 10:40

Re: Rugby must return to normality soon or PR clubs will go bust
Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 10:48

I'm not sure any 'stark warning' is required. As the article notes, Exeter are 'the Premiership’s only profitable club', so various clubs were in danger of going out of business, even before lockdown.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 11:18

As we all know it is one thing losing say £1m a year...........................it is entirely something else to be losing £5m a year and with no prospect of reducing that back to £0(Sm124)

Posted by: Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 11:22

Exeter were the only profitable club. And that was down to their non-match conference income that has been essentially absent for months and will take time to recover anyway. They are in the same boat as everyone else now.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 12:23

Which is why Fair play needs to be implemented but basically some clubs accounting cant be trusted and none of them balance the books. The only thing sustaining most are how much cash someone will pile in.....

The Cap must stay and be enforced...and any other investment, like facilities must be rigorous.
You cant have someone bung in 10mill just because they can..and write it off without central scrutiny..

Maybe the cap needs to be a percentage of gates and principle sponsor ...?

Date: 10 August, 2020 12:29

Maybe the funds generated by RFU between now and the net 6Ns tournament will allow them to buy up the insolvent pro clubs and fund centrally like WRU.................?
(Sm100)

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 13:25

Actually all clubs made a profit in the 2019 accounts except Quins, Wuss and Saracens have yet to file! This was largely due to the £13m from CVC to each club and a revaluation of their PRL shares. Mind you the PRL shares may have to be revalued downwards in the 2020 accounts.

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 16:42 by CoochieCoo.

Date: 10 August, 2020 13:29

As a one off, no one can really count that as an indication of profitability of the club, however welcome it was..

Posted by: fatheralice (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 13:39

Quote:
Gray_Lensman
Exeter were the only profitable club. And that was down to their non-match conference income that has been essentially absent for months and will take time to recover anyway. They are in the same boat as everyone else now.

Potentially worse actually, because they still have the additional costs of running the conferencing business, especially once furlough ends, which most other clubs do not.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 13:54

Quote:
fatheralice
Quote:
Gray_Lensman

Potentially worse actually, because they still have the additional costs of running the conferencing business, especially once furlough ends, which most other clubs do not.

Only three clubs declare no income from conferencing, functions etc and they are Bath, Bristol and Sale. Quins, Tigers, Saints and Wasps declare substantially more turnover than Exeter.

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

Date: 10 August, 2020 14:33

Isn't Exeter building a Hotel next to their ground?
(Sm3)

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 14:47

Or there has to be a re-think of staff wages, presumably the same situation applies in all NH countries and maybe only NZ is getting back to anywhere near normal

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 15:11

Rowe is no doubt correct, but can't see the government allowing unrestricted number of fans in the stadiums until season 2022/23. Stadiums will probably be totally empty until 2021/22 season so going to be difficult for all clubs to survive.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 15:37

I might be naive in thinking this but is it not possible to create some distancing within the grounds? Even a few thousand out of the max attendance would be something. If shops are open with distancing then could we have a 1 way system on the aisles?

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 15:40

Quote:
B4thB4ck
I might be naive in thinking this but is it not possible to create some distancing within the grounds? Even a few thousand out of the max attendance would be something. If shops are open with distancing then could we have a 1 way system on the aisles?

Iagree, surely the overhead of having some people isnt that bad, every other seat maybe. so nobody is in front of you.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 15:42

Quote:
OutsideBath
Rowe is no doubt correct, but can't see the government allowing unrestricted number of fans in the stadiums until season 2022/23. Stadiums will probably be totally empty until 2021/22 season so going to be difficult for all clubs to survive.

So here is a dilemma for you. What do you do if they say you can go to the Rec if you have proof of having had the Coronavirus vaccination?

Incidentally why 22/23 season?

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 15:44

Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
B4thB4ck

Iagree, surely the overhead of having some people isnt that bad, every other seat maybe. so nobody is in front of you.

The problem will be choke points, getting in and out. Fire regs will come into play if you have to space everyone at 2m, might take a while to evacuate a big crowd.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2020 16:14

Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath

So here is a dilemma for you. What do you do if they say you can go to the Rec if you have proof of having had the Coronavirus vaccination?

Incidentally why 22/23 season?

It's no dilemma for me, I envisage having a vaccine if one becomes available and it's offered to my age group. However I don't plan to go to the Rec until we are permitted full capacity.

Why 22/23 season? Because I personally believe the government will keep social distancing in place until 2022.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 16:17 by OutsideBath.

Date: 10 August, 2020 16:44

Here we go again............................
(Sm164)

Date: 10 August, 2020 17:02

I really cant see how you can have a rugby game and sporting season which that kind of contact and then say people cant gather..
Id be against compulsory vaccination but might trade it for a test and a mask...whether that suits the business model is another thing.

I think we will get past gathering protocols soon anyway...
Events have a hard enough sell as it is, no one can put obstacles in the way for very long.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net