Current Page: 1 of 14
5 into 4 : Sale v Bath Match Preview TEAM'S UP!
Posted by: Comeonmylovers.co.uk (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 09:53

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2020 20:35 by CoochieCoo.

Re: 5 into 4 : Sale v Bath Match Preview
Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 10:30

Matavesi at 12 will be helpful in combating Tuilagi et al. I loved the way Josh relished the responsibility of fronting the Saints winger, so he'll be well up for that.

Posted by: Awp24975 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 10:57

“ One question for the Blue, Black and White supporters, are you buying into the Hoops era yet?”

Was happy with the appointment as I know the type of person he is. It’s still early days and there isn’t a quick fix, but we are going in the right direction. It’s nice that there is a clear plan and happy with the recruitment and retention so far.
I hope Hoops and all continue to prove the doubters wrong.
I’d love four points from this game, but is not the end of the world if it goes the wrong way. Sale are a serious team, and if ( going with the heart ) we don’t win it overall then I really hope they do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 11:13 by Awp24975.

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 11:34

So given that the guys are all saying that reaching the playoffs is the aim (and why shouldn't they be – they are professional rugby players, after all) I see this match as a sort of cup final. Win and we're right in the mix for 4th, if not 2nd and 3rd. Lost and we'll be lucky to finish 4th.

I expect us to go there 'fully loaded'. I'd expect Sale to be pretty much full strength, too.

Someting like:
Obano, Dunn, Stuart, McNally, Ewels (c), Bayliss, Underhill, Faletau
Spencer, Priestland, McCon, Redpath, JJ, Roko, Watson
Walker, Boyce, Judge, Stooke, Reid, Chudley, Matevasi, TdG.

Date: 10 September, 2020 11:44

I think McNally put in a shift on Wednesday so assuming Spencer? I'm going for Matavesi at 12. And just wondering whether big Joe might make a comeback on the wing?

Posted by: charlieboa (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 13:12

I expect us to go there 'fully loaded'. I'd expect Sale to be pretty much full strength, too.

Someting like:
Obano, Dunn, Stuart, McNally, Ewels (c), Bayliss, Underhill, Faletau
Spencer, Priestland, McCon, Redpath, JJ, Roko, Watson
Walker, Boyce, Judge, Stooke, Reid, Chudley, Matevasi, TdG.[/quote]

This is the squad i would go for as well.

Do you try and counter their physical midfield or do you just pick based on your own strengths. I would do the latter and play redpath/jj, you aren't going to win a physical battle whatever if they go jvr/manu.

Posted by: Ali1969 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 15:09

I think Redpath may be rested/protected - Diamond made it clear he was very unhappy with him leaving and that won't be lost on the players - agree that McNally did put a shift in yesterday so I think it makes sense starting with Spencer although Stooke is on fire and has been for the past couple of seasons - for me I would have him in my first XV.

Backrow is going to be an issue combating the Curry twins - I think Miles Reid or Bayliss are the best bet but would not be surprised to see Mike Williams in the back row for his combativeness he is handful in the tight and defence.

Roko has also played a lot of minutes since restart so may be rested.

My XV would be along the lines of:

Obano, Dunn, Stuart, Ewels, Spencer, Underhill, TF, Williams, Spencer, Priestland, RM, Matevasi, JJ, Harmer-Webb, Watson.

Schuman, Batty, Thomas, Stooke, Bayliss, Chudley, Tom De G, Joe C(If fit) or Max C

Date: 10 September, 2020 15:57

On the flipside i imagine redpath would be desperate to play and prove a point. Matavesi is a good option as well of course

Date: 10 September, 2020 16:38

We could really do with a couple more options in the backs: Atkins, Wright, Joe C

TdG and Redpath are racking up quite a few minutes for young players.

Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 17:55

While Matavesi didn’t come on against Quins, he was on the bench, by my reckoning he has been involved in 6 out of 6 match days 23s, so might have to sit this one out as 6 out of 7 is the agreed limit.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 19:15

I thought it was 7 from 8?

Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 19:24

“ For the 2019-20 season

No player will play more than 180 minutes if selected in a matchday 23 on three occasions in a week No player will start all three games in a week No player will be selected in more than six matches in the seven games staged between 14 August and 13 September A player’s training load will be managed if they are selected in three matchday squads in any given seven-day period”
[www.premiershiprugby.com]

So it could be another bench spot for Bailey.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 19:26 by dcsh.

Date: 11 September, 2020 05:54

Ouch. That is a worry given they will be sending manu and/or jvr at rhys all day.

Guess we have had little option in reality so hard to criticise the planning, would have been a brave man who picked bailey to start with no cover.

Assume this impacts others? Boyce/walker/judge have been in every 23? Has chudley aswell? Tdg?

Date: 11 September, 2020 05:56

Will sale have similar challenges? Diamond is always carping on about only having a small squad of less than 35 senior players so prob some that have been in every matchday 23?

Posted by: Never In Doubt (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2020 06:18

On the same basis, and assuming selected means in the 23 regardless of whether they get on the pitch or not, then Sale should be without de Klerk and Jean Luc du Preez who have been all the last 6 match XXIIIs.

Also if games 18-20 count as a week, then I don't think they can start Dan du Preez either. I would caveat that i ran through the numbers quickly but i think this is correct.

Date: 11 September, 2020 07:05

Thanks NiD. Couple of big losses for them potentially.

Good we got some game time into schoeman, batty, verden , green and bailey if they will be needed sunday.

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2020 08:43

Are we seriously having to consider throwing Bailey into the fray. Are there no other viable options?

Date: 11 September, 2020 08:57

Not sure if tdg has been in 23 every game? Think he prob has? So only leaves redpath as another potential option to cover rhys?

Posted by: Devonport Lad (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2020 10:00

John Evely is reporting that the team announcement has been put back to midday tomorrow. Steve Diamond said something about training being delayed due to “bumps and bruises” and some Covid tests. Could be a problem up at Sale.

Posted by: Never In Doubt (IP Logged)
Date: 11 September, 2020 10:17

If it was anybody else than Diamond then I would believe it was that simple. Surely you cannot delay a team announcement because players are too bruised to train. I guess in the current environment everybody gets some leeway.

Current Page: 1 of 14
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net