Current Page: 10 of 14
Re: 5 into 4 : Sale v Bath Match Preview TEAM'S UP!
Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 20:56

I didn't see the game, but seeing as we started slowly I would have loved to have seen the pundits on TV (like one on here) back track. Can't wait for the free web match broadcast.

Posted by: Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 20:57

That was an outstanding performance in what I thought was a very close game..

The forwards, along with Ben and Rhys were super but a couple of players really stood out also.

JJ has, IMO been quiet lately but he excelled today. And big call out for Will Spencer. His muscle and effort were very telling. Best I have seen him ever in the BBW, albeit a short appearance.

One final mention. I have been one of Matt Carley’s biggest critics, I despaired when he was named for our games. But fair play to him. His decisions were explained and made clear, and most importantly he is developing a real empathy for the game. Long may it continue.

Posted by: Danchinho (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 21:06

Tuilagi is making a living off his reputation, not his performances on the pitch. Guess I shouldn’t care as he’s not a Bath player. Just an observation then!

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 21:08

Quote:
Kidney Stone
JJ has, IMO been quiet lately but he excelled today.

Good point he has come alive in part because he sees he might get some ball, I liked the way Ben S put a kick under the posts in the first half for him to chase almost as a dress rehearsal for the same to happen in the 78th minute and for JJ to score the BP try.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 21:26

Another win despite some pretty stark stats guess the two yc helped but 37% possession and wining by 15 points with a try bonus means some great defence and taking our chances!

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1600028543.jpg

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 21:48

Great stats CC, highlights the point I was making to BO, wining doesn't need ball retention. Those line out stats are telling as well. 130 tackles to their 76.
My only concern is on the injury front, Will Spencer had a nasty under eye split, JJ limped of and AW wasn't available through injury. Thank goodness Ben Spencer is bulletproof!

Perhaps I'm a latent criminal but I just love the way BS and RMcC keep stealing tries from under the opposition's noses!

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Rokobilly (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 22:30

Just finished watching the recording witbout knowing the score. Think i completed my 10000 steps for the day pacing up and down. Brilliant from the boys. Sale may have had some slicker moves but tbe character, discipline and heart from Bath were exceptional - allied to a killer instinct when we got a chance to score. Credit to Hoops, Hats and all involved. Bloody delighted!

Posted by: Woodster (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 22:46

For the first time in yonks opposition coaches will be working (worrying) out how to negate Bath's game (the pack). It is a long time since we made the opposition worry about us.

Today the pack were again awesome, you don't go to Sale and win without an outstanding pack.

My word Hatley is good, we knew it first time he was with us but he seems to have got better. Well played Hooper, you're the man at the top and credit needs to go to you.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 23:19

A few in our darker days linked the blame for results beyond the coaches and admin to Bruce. So, if that principle holds then senior management deserve a pat on the back too. Buck stops there, right?

Of course for those that are concerned with silverware we haven't won a trophy for a while, since when, about 1865? But it does feel good to be following Bath again.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 13 September, 2020 23:24

Quite a strange game that. I couldn’t watch it live, heard the result, and was awash with excitement to watch the recording. Without the tension of worrying about the result, and the sheer enjoyment of the growing realisation that we were turning over Sale in their backyard, it was really pretty dull, error-strewn and stop-start to watch. I couldn’t help but wonder what someone who’s accustomed to watching the Aotaeroa competition would make of that, in perfect summer conditions. Take nothing away from Bath’s performance. We were slight underdogs, playing away and were fully entitled to dog it out, hassle them into errors through kicking, aggressive defence and a lot of harrying. But that felt like the pitch was about 40 metres wide at times and no-one other than McGinty and Faf seemed to be able to create any space. Priestland‘s and Spencer’s kicking was phenomenal - but if that’s what too-of-the-table summer rugby looks like, I’ll stick with the winter thanks.

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 00:06

As mentioned, great credit must go to the management & coaching team for the progress being made. True, we haven’t won anything yet but the performances since resumption have been stunning & the team spirit so evident. It’s also good not to have to read the repetitive & unsubstantiated comments about a deep seated malaise within the Club & that everything would fall apart under Hooper. Fortunately these individuals don’t run the club! Incidentally, a few have commented on how amazing it was to win away at Sale but without crowds does whether we are home or away make any difference?

Posted by: Danchinho (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 00:14

The thing is, NZ is chock full of very skilled players and a lot of them have plenty of flair and imagination. They try stuff all the time. If it doesn’t work, they just keep throwing it around, blind passes, etc. But even there, tough physical teams come out on top. The Crusaders (post Blackadder) success is built on a very disciplined and aggressive pack. The big difference in the forwards is offloads. They attempt and complete many more offloads. It just makes it harder for defences to line their men up.
Fwiw, Sarries also we’re doing this very well a couple of seasons ago.
We’ve just to get on the shoulder more of a runner and make it happen. Have a bit more confidence in the skill set. English players often look to afraid to make a mistake. Not just in rugby either. National disease imho.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Posted by: OBinFiji (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 00:16

Blimey Opti - just watched the last 5 minutes of Force v Rebels. 100% pick and go - Rebels didn't fling it wide once. Exciting yes - a place in the finals begging. Winning rugby yes. Entertaining rugby , no.
Its not restricted to the Northern Hemisphere.

OBinFiji

Posted by: OBinFiji (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 00:20

Oh and woke up at 5am to check the result - fully expecting to go back to bed grumpy. Excellent stuff - it is really exciting how much the team are clearly playing for each other. Massive compliment to the management for engendering that spirit - reckon Mr Matavesi has something to do with it - he seems to be thoroughly enjoying himself (which is more than can be said when he plays for Fiji). Am I right in thinking he wanted to play for Bath since he was a teenager?.

Cant wait to see the whole match live (lets hope they don't do the same with it as with the Harlequins game - anyone show me where I can watch that?).

OBinFiji

Posted by: 9215 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 00:48

The Quins game is available here: [www.my5.tv]

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 02:03

Firstly, a simply outstanding game of rugby. Secondly, WELL DONE BOYS!! Thirdly, I think we might be contenders this season rather than next.

My MotM - Ben Spencer.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 09:40

Quote:
OBinFiji
Blimey Opti - just watched the last 5 minutes of Force v Rebels. 100% pick and go - Rebels didn't fling it wide once. Exciting yes - a place in the finals begging. Winning rugby yes. Entertaining rugby , no.
Its not restricted to the Northern Hemisphere.

OBinFiji

I'm probably guilty of 'highlights syndrome' when it comes to SH rugby - but, try watching Bath/Sale again, knowing the result, and also pretending you don't care which team wins anyway. I guarantee that very few people would sit through 100+ minutes of that for the sheer quality of the rugby.

Again - for the avoidance of doubt - that was a phenomenal 'performance' by Bath, a massive step forward for the team, a huge boost for Hooper's standing, and something to give every supporter confidence that we are on the threshold of being a top 4 team, with all the equipment to put in a competitive performance in Europe too.

Another feather in Hooper's cap is the quality of recruitment: Will Stuart, Redpath and Ben Spencer have got to be as good a trio of recruits as GP club have made.

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 09:51

Having Spencer seems to have significantly taken the heat off RP, working well.

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 09:56

Quote:
OBinFiji
Cant wait to see the whole match live (lets hope they don't do the same with it as with the Harlequins game - anyone show me where I can watch that?).
OBinFiji

Where & when can you see the whole match? Although I have BT Sport I find watching vital matches like that live too nerve racking, strange because I can cope with going to matches! I am looking forward to watching the extended highlights but would sooner watch the entire match.

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:00

Quote:
woodpecker
Having Spencer seems to have significantly taken the heat off RP, working well.

We were discussing this during the game yesterday, RP is playing much better with Spencer inside him. He made a nice line break yesterday and was immaculate off the tee. Overall a very accomplished performance from him...

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Current Page: 10 of 14
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net