Current Page: 11 of 14
Re: 5 into 4 : Sale v Bath Match Preview TEAM'S UP!
Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:01

I think almost all of us would like us to get into the top 4 & preferably 3rd even though we are likely to lose against Exeter. However, I cannot see our rivals dropping points in their remaining two games whereas we could despite our good form. With the long gaps now between matches will Bristol be able to play their first team both times as that may be our best hope?

Posted by: Danchinho (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:03

Quote:
OBinFiji
Blimey Opti - just watched the last 5 minutes of Force v Rebels. 100% pick and go - Rebels didn't fling it wide once. Exciting yes - a place in the finals begging. Winning rugby yes. Entertaining rugby , no.
Its not restricted to the Northern Hemisphere.

OBinFiji

Tbf, Opti was talking about the Aotaeroa so you know, different country...

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:07

Interesting point, opti, and as a former back I agree that the game wasn't 100 minutes of poetry (barely 10 minutes for that matter), especially for a neutral. But I think that's why, in a nutshell, for me, rugby is still so fascinating and why I find a 12-6 almost but not quite preferable to a 39-33.

Despite efforts being made to turn rugby into a fast-paced, open game that appeals to neutrals and new comers, there are still a host of ways to win a game and one very popular one doesn't involve risk and adventure. It involves a focus on defence and set piece, kicking from 9 and 10 and consistent if not game changing attack. As we all know, in the Prem, over the last decade, Exeter and Saracens have shown that it works. Sure, they bolted on very effective attacking games but they won leagues doing the basics. I like how Bath are quite clearly trying to do the same.

Now the problem is that a new comer to the sport will turn on the TV, not understand that Bath are trying to 'do an Exeter' and are a few years away from being an all-singing-all-dancing team and perhaps switch off. I get that and I think rules and improvements have been made to get us to a point where the 'product' is just about good enough for the new comer. But selfishly, as someone who watches a lot and knows a little about rugby, I'm fascinated by even the bad games, as there's always something of interest, a sub plot, a plan etc.

It's why I also don't buy the argument that players must 'love playing for Bristol' (or Northampton earlier in the season) because they throw it about. Professional rugby players love winning. End of. Even wingers who get cold stood out on the touchline chasing box kicks all day,would rather do it for a team that wins 3-0. If your wingers don't, you need new wingers. So whilst it's great to watch what Bristol are trying to do and it might (might...) work one day, I don't think in this league it will work consistently enough to win multiple titles (like Leicester, Sarries, Exe).

Hence, whilst it pains me a bit to watch a boring game of rugby, as long as I can see why a team is trying to do what they're trying to do i.e. Bath, Hooper, and Hatley are focusing on basics
and winning, I am hooked.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:09

Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
OBinFiji
Cant wait to see the whole match live (lets hope they don't do the same with it as with the Harlequins game - anyone show me where I can watch that?).
OBinFiji

Where & when can you see the whole match? Although I have BT Sport I find watching vital matches like that live too nerve racking, strange because I can cope with going to matches! I am looking forward to watching the extended highlights but would sooner watch the entire match.

Mentioned here:

Quote:
The Quins game is available here: [www.my5.tv]

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:10

The whole game replay is available on BT Sport online.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:17

Jeez, what is going on at Saints?

Wasn't that long ago they were scoring great tries and a few on ere enviously looking at their recruitment of Boyd

Yesterday they failed to score against Leicester who were down to 13!

Date: 14 September, 2020 10:17

Dr. Bath. I donít share your aesthetic but I have huge respect for your passion for rugby.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:21

A mention for Obano!

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:24

Both Boyd and Ackermann got lauded and made immediate impact, but both faded very badly. Shows the complexity of managing squad across multiple seasons.

Date: 14 September, 2020 10:25

Quote:
gaz59
Jeez, what is going on at Saints?
Wasn't that long ago they were scoring great tries and a few on ere enviously looking at their recruitment of Boyd

Yesterday they failed to score against Leicester who were down to 13!

Because Iím new to this Iíve learnt to withhold gushing praise until a couple of years in!

I made that mistake with Ackermann at Glos. 1st season I was weak at the knees and hugely jealous. Come the 2nd year, not so much....

Posted by: bardofavon (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:30

Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
OBinFiji
Cant wait to see the whole match live (lets hope they don't do the same with it as with the Harlequins game - anyone show me where I can watch that?).
OBinFiji

Where & when can you see the whole match? Although I have BT Sport I find watching vital matches like that live too nerve racking, strange because I can cope with going to matches! I am looking forward to watching the extended highlights but would sooner watch the entire match.

go to prem website. all the games are free to watch from around tues. maybe weds.

Posted by: bardofavon (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 10:42

well that was a defining game for us. it's one thing to win well at the rec against Lon Irish or similar, but to go to a place like the AJ and beat their top side will give the lads immense self confidence- something which has been lacking in recent times. clearly Ben Spencer has been the catalyst for the much improved post lockdown form but in all fairness to fans we have been complaining about our scrum half problems for 3 or 4 years now so the coaches were behind the curve on this one.
I still don't think we deserve to win the comp. our back play is too ragged. we need some more assets in the centres- clark and wright aren't good enough. maybe, with jj likely to head off for internationals it might be time to give ojomoh and will butt a run?

Posted by: 9215 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 11:29

Quote:
Bath Hammer

The full matches end up here: [www.premiershiprugby.com]
You should be able to get them on catchup if youíve got BT Sport too, and theyíll probably appear sooner there

Posted by: Never In Doubt (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 11:32

Watched that McC try again and I think defenders are going to have to learn to stop going high on him to tackle him. Both James and Tuilagi get bumped off with some ease.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 11:40

Quote:
Never In Doubt
Watched that McC try again and I think defenders are going to have to learn to stop going high on him to tackle him. Both James and Tuilagi get bumped off with some ease.

Yes, good point he does fend very well and is clearly strong and fast to do that. Must be a contender for the England shirt.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 11:45

Quote:
Never In Doubt

Letís not get carried away - James and Tuilagi bumped into each other.

Posted by: Never In Doubt (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 11:55

Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Never In Doubt

Letís not get carried away - James and Tuilagi bumped into each other.

Bit harsh ... you can argue their tackles are weak but I think they both bump of him rather than each other.

Posted by: Awp24975 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 12:06

Quote:
dr.bath1865
Interesting point, opti, and as a former back I agree that the game wasn't 100 minutes of poetry (barely 10 minutes for that matter), especially for a neutral. But I think that's why, in a nutshell, for me, rugby is still so fascinating and why I find a 12-6 almost but not quite preferable to a 39-33.
Despite efforts being made to turn rugby into a fast-paced, open game that appeals to neutrals and new comers, there are still a host of ways to win a game and one very popular one doesn't involve risk and adventure. It involves a focus on defence and set piece, kicking from 9 and 10 and consistent if not game changing attack. As we all know, in the Prem, over the last decade, Exeter and Saracens have shown that it works. Sure, they bolted on very effective attacking games but they won leagues doing the basics. I like how Bath are quite clearly trying to do the same.

Now the problem is that a new comer to the sport will turn on the TV, not understand that Bath are trying to 'do an Exeter' and are a few years away from being an all-singing-all-dancing team and perhaps switch off. I get that and I think rules and improvements have been made to get us to a point where the 'product' is just about good enough for the new comer. But selfishly, as someone who watches a lot and knows a little about rugby, I'm fascinated by even the bad games, as there's always something of interest, a sub plot, a plan etc.

It's why I also don't buy the argument that players must 'love playing for Bristol' (or Northampton earlier in the season) because they throw it about. Professional rugby players love winning. End of. Even wingers who get cold stood out on the touchline chasing box kicks all day,would rather do it for a team that wins 3-0. If your wingers don't, you need new wingers. So whilst it's great to watch what Bristol are trying to do and it might (might...) work one day, I don't think in this league it will work consistently enough to win multiple titles (like Leicester, Sarries, Exe).

Hence, whilst it pains me a bit to watch a boring game of rugby, as long as I can see why a team is trying to do what they're trying to do i.e. Bath, Hooper, and Hatley are focusing on basics
and winning, I am hooked.

Excellent points and agree. I watch as much rugby as I can but find I get bored very easily watching super rugby unless the South African teams are playing.

Posted by: Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 12:37

I don't normally do this, but i visited the Sale forum to read the fans view of the game, most seem to think they lost the game at the line-out and heavy criticism of their hooker. Many being realistic and saying the loss was down to there own misgivings. Also several blaming their captain Jonno Ross for making the wrong decisions and getting the wrong side of the ref with his constant questioning of his decisions. It seems this happens often with J Ross and referees . Some blame Will Stuart for so called indiscretions at scrum time. Overall a philosophical view from many but of course the usual few blaming the ref. and saying Bath did not do anything special but won the game on the back of Sale mistakes. Happy Days ! (Sm128)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies
Adopted Player 2020/21 Cam Redpath

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 12:41

From my angle the greatest asset Hoops and Hats have instilled over the Covid lockdown is the bonhomie. All the players are a happy bunch and enjoying life. As I have said before a good team spirit (Players and Coaches) make for a winning combination. Onwards and upwards.

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

Current Page: 11 of 14
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net