Current Page: 12 of 14
Re: 5 into 4 : Sale v Bath Match Preview TEAM'S UP!
Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 13:54

I missed yesterday afternoon's sport, as I was visiting my daughter, and, along with the Grandchildren, we went for a long walk down by Saltford riverside.
I did not know any of the sport results until I got home.
First up, hearing that Hamilton won in a chaotic Grand Prix,
2nd, hearing that England beat the Aussies (always satisfying!),
then hearing that Bath had won away at Sale!!
What a wonderful end to a wonderful day!
Well done Bath!

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 14:03

Good point, CC, a happy team is usually a winning team.

Very good result, difficult to pick any Bath player out as they all played well. Felt a bit sorry watching Steve Diamond he looked so on edge, gulping down great gulps of air, i would worry for his long term health.

Well done Bath, showing real signs of improvement.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 14:27

In the Daily Telegraph today Bath have 5 in the Team of the Weekend.

Obviously a lot of teams played emerging talent so that would have helped..............but all the samethumbs down

Adopted player for 2020 - 21 Charlie Ewels Captain of Bath FC......The Bournemouth Barnstormer

Posted by: Never In Doubt (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 14:31

Agreed CC a happy squad but also a squad that can actually see and believe in progress.

Posted by: Danchinho (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 14:33

Quote:
Old Bath Tub
I don't normally do this, but i visited the Sale forum to read the fans view of the game, most seem to think they lost the game at the line-out and heavy criticism of their hooker. Many being realistic and saying the loss was down to there own misgivings. Also several blaming their captain Jonno Ross for making the wrong decisions and getting the wrong side of the ref with his constant questioning of his decisions. It seems this happens often with J Ross and referees . Some blame Will Stuart for so called indiscretions at scrum time. Overall a philosophical view from many but of course the usual few blaming the ref. and saying Bath did not do anything special but won the game on the back of Sale mistakes. Happy Days ! (Sm128)

I think have really bought into the idea of being the strongest and most aggressive pack. Unfortunately for them, they’re not. They got done by ours on their home turf. Our hits were bigger and more telling.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 14:39

Loved the attitude of Will Spencer too, there was no way he was going to let the ref tell him to leave the pitch

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 14:42

Quote:
CoochieCoo
From my angle the greatest asset Hoops and Hats have instilled over the Covid lockdown is the bonhomie. All the players are a happy bunch and enjoying life. As I have said before a good team spirit (Players and Coaches) make for a winning combination. Onwards and upwards.

I've said it before, but 'team spirit' and 'winning' are very much a chicken and egg kind of thing. If anything, I'd say the team spirit was forged in those very narrow victories that the team carved out in the first part of the season. We won 3 consecutive GP games in Jan/Feb by 3 points, 1 point and 7 points. Those games can just as easily go against you for not much more than the bounce of a ball or a kick that goes 6 inches wide.

Did we win those games through 'team spirit'? Partly, yes. But a bit of luck played its part. If all 3 had gone the other way would team spirit be close to what it is now? I doubt it.

The team spirit does look fantastic and all power to Hooper for that. But winning comes first in my opinion.

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 16:03

Winning helps Opti, undoubtedly, but the major factor is how the players get on as a group.

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 16:23

Just read that Faletau made 17 tackles and missed 0. Gulp. 8 carries too.

He may not quite be back to doing the flashy stuff yet but his workrate is huge.

Perhaps TF is coming to the boil at the perfect point of the season? Guys like him win big matches

Posted by: bardofavon (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 16:45

it would be good if we didn't give away so many early points. I believe in 5 of the 7 games since lockdown we have gifted early tries or penalties through being half asleep.
we have seemingly corrected many of the problems that have afflicted us in recent seasons such as poor fitness levels, excessive injuries, inability to score points and lack of self confidence. this is one issue that still plagues us.

Date: 14 September, 2020 17:12

Quote:
bardofavon
it would be good if we didn't give away so many early points

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that i don't really care when we give away points in the game, as long as we have scored more than the opposition at the final whistle. It's a very competitive league, and at some point in the game we will concede, whoever we are playing. Besides, didn't we, until recently, have a habit of conceding points at the end of the game?

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 18:02

Ok that's enough big wins in a row (kind of) to finally suggest we're on the right track, and that was a BIG win. We still have a bad habit of sleep-walking into games but at least we do eventually wake up. Our ball control is still terrible (we barely touched it in the entire second half), and I have no idea what sport Dorset Boy is watching if he can't see that, but can't argue with the results! I've often said that we'v always been capable of pulling off big wins every so often, but they've always felt pretty meaningless in the long run because we end up playing like drains the next week and losing the next couple. This feels different though. Still huge flaws that need fixing though...

Posted by: Susanne (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 19:45

Flats singing Spencer's praises on the highlights programme - thinks he could be our best signing since Flouw

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 19:52

Quote:
Susanne
Flats singing Spencer's praises on the highlights programme - thinks he could be our best signing since Flouw

Flats sings literally anyone's praises. The bloke who walks the dog round the corner would be the best dog walker the world's ever seen if you ask Flats.

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 20:23

BO "Flats sings literally anyone's praises. The bloke who walks the dog round the corner would be the best dog walker the world's ever seen if you ask Flats."

Didn't take long to get back to normal, then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2020 20:48 by Mike the Taxi.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 20:32

Both things can be true, Flats doesn't criticise, but Spencer probably is our best signing since Louw.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 20:45

Quote:
hasta
Both things can be true, Flats doesn't criticise, but Spencer probably is our best signing since Louw.

A fact that will have been noted by the other teams. We're gonna need a Plan B. But Plan A has been a huge success.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 21:01

Marland Yarde just decided to give him the ball, what can you do?

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2020 00:03

Quote:
bardofavon
I still don't think we deserve to win the comp. our back play is too ragged. we need some more assets in the centres- clark and wright aren't good enough. maybe, with jj likely to head off for internationals it might be time to give ojomoh and will butt a run?

That Worcester centre Ollie Lawrence would be a nice fit, along with Redpath.

Date: 15 September, 2020 00:13

Quote:
hasta

Spencer is our best signing since Redpath, who was our best signing since Stuart, who was our best signing since McConnoghie ...

Current Page: 12 of 14
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net