Current Page: 1 of 3
Ring fencing
Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 13:46

I know this has been discussed before but seeing Tigers and other teams putting out uncompetitive teams, safe in the knowledge they cannot be relegated is going to make the game far less interesting for many supporters in the second half of the season. Certainly we are uncharted territory just now with the number of games being played, but it gives a glimpse into what could be in the future

Re: Ring fencing
Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 14:13

"Tigers and other teams putting out uncompetitive teams, safe in the knowledge they cannot be relegated"

That's not the only reason though. It's also a response to 3 games in 8 days, and other extraordinary circumstances. When - not if - ring-fencing arrives, I can't believe they won't put in place mechanisms - prize money/penalties for fielding weakened teams - to ensure every game is properly competitive.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 14:40

You might be able to get the clubs to care, maybe even the players, but the fans won't.

South of 5th in the table this year, who cares?

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 15:13

Those players and fans of clubs below 5th will care and be frustrated, just as Bath fans and players have been frustrated with our own performances.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 15:18

With the breakdown now being policed better, this has made games faster and more open, meaning, imv, a more excitjng viewing.
So, ring fencing kills this initiative.
Rugby needs to grow..and that means attracting more fans and one sided games is not the answer.

Date: 10 September, 2020 15:20

Really? If we were on 0-42 points right now I think I'd lose a lot of interest in the rest of this season. Playing for the chance to be "also rans" does really appeal to me either.

Tiggers fans, for example, might be upset because the way they are playing isn't promising for future seasons, but I doubt they care about this season that much.

Even if you can convince yourself it would have SOME interest, surely it doesn't have AS MUCH? You surely can see you have lost SOMETHING.

Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 15:20

Plenty of fans care how their team does week to week, even if league position isnít that important.
Remember a few years ago when we were 9th and on the last day of the season we played Tigers at home? We gave them a good thrashing and the Rec went wild. Because winning matters and makes us feel good.

Date: 10 September, 2020 15:21

Let's play friendly every week then? No financial risk there.

Date: 10 September, 2020 15:26

Look at Wuss last night, they were hardly tackling, that's how much they cared about that game.

Date: 10 September, 2020 15:29

Quote:
DanWiley
Look at Wuss last night, they were hardly tackling, that's how much they cared about that game.
Thatís utter rubbish and you know it.

Date: 10 September, 2020 15:34

Honestly, you think we were running through them like that because we've turned into a group of supermen?

Date: 10 September, 2020 15:44

You have an opinion, DW, but that does not mean that the rest of the rugby supporting fans in the country share it.
I remember a few seasons ago, when, at the last game of the season at the Rec, when Bath were fighting to survive relegation; the 12,000-odd people at the Rec were certainly not 'uninterested'.

Date: 10 September, 2020 15:57

I would agree that relegation gives things an exciting jeopardy, but for the financial well-being of the game ring fencing might be required.

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 15:57

Agree MtheT

One of my most memorable days watching Bath.

Eclipses several winning Cup Finals I attended.

PG

Date: 10 September, 2020 16:15

Quote:
Mike
when Bath were fighting to survive relegation

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 16:31

Great day......................my son's, now 26, 9th birthday party................PHEW!!!

Date: 10 September, 2020 16:35

Quote:
DanWiley
Quote:
Mike
when Bath were fighting to survive relegation

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.

Exactly! It disproves your 'uninterested' pov for teams at the lower end of the table

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 16:42

Quote:
dcsh
Quote:
DanWiley
Thatís utter rubbish and you know it.

The stats show they made 181 tackles to our 133. Should do better so says Dan! Granted their tackle success was 82% but so was ours!

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 16:43 by CoochieCoo.

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 17:03

I remember this issue being discussed at length some time back. I took a different view to DW, albeit with some self doubt. DW is very good at arguing his case so I don't think you should be helping him out mtt! The obvious reason that game sticks in the memory is because we were fighting to avoid relegation!

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 10 September, 2020 20:10

Go on the Quins, Saints and (to a lesser extent) Tigers boards and check how much the fans care about the performances. I think they're fairly upset.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net