Current Page: 1 of 3
FREDDIE BURNS
Posted by: mackemII (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 11:27

Re: FREDDIE BURNS
Posted by: jayeatman (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 11:43

It beats me how a back, no matter how talented, can expect a starting slot if they can only play 60 mins. It also beats me how a club thought it was a good idea to swap George Ford for such a player. Ok, I realise that wasn't really their first choice option.

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 11:48

Look, I wish Freddie the best. It just didn't work out.

But I find all this complaining about not be treated fairly unconvincing and unedifying.

Club morale seems good at the moment. I hope Freddie's morale is better too.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 11:50

I think he has some good points there but sometimes you are better off just keeping your thoughts to yourself and your close friends and family.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 12:01

Quote:
B4thB4ck
I think he has some good points there but sometimes you are better off just keeping your thoughts to yourself and your close friends and family.

What's the problem? He owes Bath nothing, as they owe him nothing. Everyone can see it didn't work out the way he wanted it to, for whatever reason. The criticism of the Club and individuals is pretty mild compared to what you read on here all day every day. He was very successful at Gloucester and Leicester - two pretty hard schools - played for England, and now he's in a position where he can say what he thinks. As a Bath fan I'm interested to get something about Bath Rugby that isn't a carefully crafted corporate message set. We've all spent endless hours on here pondering and wondering why/what/how/when this, that and the other happened at Bath Rugby. He's giving us a bit of unfettered insight (his viewpoint only, of course). Enjoy.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 12:11

I was expecting something inflammatory given the comments. That all seemed fair enough and reasonably measured for someone who will be pretty disappointed with his time here.

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 12:18

He's free to say what he likes of course, but I think he'd be better off showing us how good he can be when he goes to Japan, albeit his criticisms weren't particularly harsh. I've set through leaving speeches when people have been highly critical of management and it just comes across as a bit bitter, even if perhaps justified! If Hooper came out and publicly stated why he didn't select Burns I'd think it equally unnecessary and lacking in class. As to it being 'unfettered insight', I agree that most of the stuff we read from the club is predictably anodyne, but in the same way that a current and favoured player will be suitably 'on message', a player who's been on the fringes and released is perhaps just as likely to be critical of a club he feels rejected by?

Posted by: bardofavon (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 12:19

I dont think Freddie was ever a bath rugby man. he was a Freddie burns man. and what bath wanted from Freddie was clearly not what Freddie wanted from Freddie.
I get the impression that burns may well have been a pain in the neck within the squad. what else explains him not being offered an extension until the end of the year, when he heads off to Japan? after all he is just sitting around at home in bath and playing rugby for Combe down at a time when our fly half resources are thin. and why did they dump him without even lining up a replacement?
Blackadder complained burns wouldn't play according to the plans agreed in team meetings before games. and then there was his leg cramp problems which meant he was pretty much restricted to 50 minutes a match. in the final analysis though Freddie never played well enough for us. he was a showboater, but didnt deserve to be number 1.
looking at the happy bath player camp today you have to figure that bath is better off without him. and he is better off without bath.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 12:27

"and when I did come on at fly-half I felt my tactical kicking game was up to scratch, so it was hard to take not playing.”

(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)

He's delusional.

Quote:
bardofavon
I dont think Freddie was ever a bath rugby man. he was a Freddie burns man.

This. 1000%.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 12:28

Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
B4thB4ck

What's the problem?

No problem for me, I am happy to read these things. I was thinking of Freddie who is still a pro rugby player and would not benefit from a reputation for being too blunt to the press. Hartley's book for example, is post retirement.

Date: 16 September, 2020 13:10

Burns keeping quiet?

He has a social media profile to think of, his latest highlights reel and The Freddie Burns Show, coming to a poor rugby club in Japan soon enough

Quote:
I want to go to Japan and really showcase my attacking talent

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 13:14

A bit like the Ballsout Show on 'Ere, sometimes?

Date: 16 September, 2020 13:43

You mean a message board meant for opinions and discussion? If you want to call it a Show, go for it?

Posted by: charlieboa (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 13:51

I think rhys would have had a very genuine gripe when mike ford always played george every minute of most games irrespective of form, individual/team performance.

Burns got chances, just often didnt play very well. No real issue with his carping, just think he needs to move on and i wish him the best with that in japan.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 14:17

I think we overplay the lack of opportunities for both.

2016/17 George played nearly 2000 min, a lot but he's a quality 10.
That year Rhys played 800, what would you expect from a clear second choice?
Freddie often played about 1000 min a season.

There's an argument there if you really want to make it. The positions, the type of games, I would say the difference between George and Rhys is bigger than Rhys to Freddie etc. But it looks to me like they both basically played about the time you'd expect a second choice 10 to play.

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 14:32

Quote:
ballsout
You mean a message board meant for opinions and discussion? If you want to call it a Show, go for it?

Ah Yes! Opinions.
There are many and varied opinions expressed on this board.
Yours were first expressed on these pages many years ago: that Bath are/were rubbish.
The problem with your posts, and I am not the only one to hold this view, is that you keep posting the same mantra, week in, week out, even when Bath are not fulfilling your set ideas.
It was noticeable on the Bath/Sale thread on Sunday, that you set out with the same mindset, but refused to engage in that thread when Bath were playing well, and not to your expectations. There wasn't even a 'Well done, Bath' comment at the end of the game.
Your posts could be seen as repetitive, even if the wording is not exactly the same; the sentiment is.
You have, occasionally, posted some knowledgeable opinions on this site, but your anti Bath posts are unnecessary.

Date: 16 September, 2020 14:34

'Rhys played 800' - probably worth breaking down those figures in terms of which competitions, which part of which match, and which position. Just as Burns did, Priestland got minutes at full-back.

I do wonder whether, when RP 're-signed' for Bath, he did so (having the Club somewhat over a barrel) on the understanding that he was clear first choice. He got a pretty cr@p deal under the Fords - such that he reversed his 'retirement' from Int rugby - and probably felt like he didn't want to get caught in that situation again.

In fact ... i'm going to go with that theory, which enables me to lay the blame for a whole range of subsequent events at Mike Ford's door!

Date: 16 September, 2020 14:53

Quote:
Mike the Taxi
There wasn't even a 'Well done, Bath' comment at the end of the game.

Look again.

And all my complaints are still accurate, inaccurate play and barely touching the ball in the first 20 minutes (or the last 40 tbf).

Date: 16 September, 2020 15:06

You made yourself look a complete mug on the Northampton and Harlequins threads when you were virtually salivating at every Bath error and then did an Oates the minute the team turned it round. You then kept your counsel for the Worcester game because you knew that Bath would win that comfortably however many mistakes we made. You then returned to the fray at the start of the Sale match because you (like most of us) felt confident that Bath were unlikely to go and win.

What's the plan for the Gloucester game? I'll have a bet that you don't say anything on that thread until the result is known.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 15:08

It’s actually good to read a relatively open interview without the gushing praise for his old club. Much prefer it if players just say what they’re feeling rather than what they think should say to please everyone.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net