Jono Lance, Billy Searle, recruitment and retention
Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 10:41

Looks like there are still quite a few conversations and decisions to be made before the squad fo next season is finalised.

I am sure what is happening at Saracens will come into play now that we all know what punishment they have received so far

I would still consider retaining Jono Lance to play at 12 outside Weir and Searle, especially how Millsy has played this season so far.

Quote:
WARRIORS director of rugby Alan Solomons remained tight lipped on the future of Jono Lance following a successful swoop for Billy Searle.

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/resources/images/10507133.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=responsive-gallery

The Wasps fly-half will head to Worcester in the summer to vie for the number-10 jersey which Scotland international Duncan Weir currently makes his own.

With Weir contracted until the summer of 2021 and Searle drafted in, inevitable questions about Lances future have followed with his deal set to expire.

Solomons declined to reveal whether talks had taken place with the Australian ace who has played two full Premiership matches this season alongside another 80 minutes across four stints as a replacement.

Billy comes in as a fly-half but there is competition, which is what we want across the board, said Solomons.

I think it is good for us, it increases our strength in depth which is only a positive.

Asked if he had spoken to Lance about his future, Solomons replied: We havent finalised the composition of our squad.

"We have players that are flexible and can play in various positions Shilly (fly-half Jamie Shillcock) played full-back against Saracens.

Jono is a good bloke. He has played well for us and will continue to do so, I have no doubt.

Full Article HERE

JP

Re: Jono Lance, Billy Searle, recruitment and retention
Posted by: AJWarriors (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 11:44

As much as Id like him to stay I just cant see it. Hed be on a decent wedge for a start and with Searle coming in,that already fills us with 3 quality fly halves with Luke Scully supplementing that position and then at centre we already have Millsy,Beck,Venter,Lawrence and Butler who are out and out centres all contracted so I dont think it sends out the right message to the rest of the guys to start playing him there. Also he played there vs Dragons and didnt really effect the game at all.

The only other positions he has played is full back at the Reds but I dont feel he has the gas to play there and unless there are leavers in that position then theres no space there either.

If Im honest Id rather use the money hes on in other areas of the squad that need strengthening like the quality of depth in the front row.

As you say JP its looking like there will be a few Sarries players that will be available soon that will need clubs. Mako Vunipola is a guy Id love to somehow see here. A partnership of himself and Schonert is as exciting as it gets.

Posted by: 4934 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 11:58

Quote:
AJWarriors

If Im honest Id rather use the money hes on in other areas of the squad that need strengthening like the quality of depth in the front row.

Absolutely. Essential given vulnerability to injury in increasingly abrasive league.

Plus ball carrying ability in second row required.

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 13:01

Plus Jonno is not EQP.
I think that recruitment may be influenced somewhat by who the coaches know ( as in the case of Searle) Do JT or MS have any connexions with Sarries players in the past ? Or maybe the other new coach will.

Posted by: centrethere (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 14:44

Rather we stayed away from all the Saracens players

Posted by: shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 15:28

I completely agree 4934.

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 19:39

Given the chance to feel righteous, or have Maro Itoje in a Warriors shirt, I'm afraid I'd let my head rule my heart. I kind of agree in essence, but if it were one of their top players I'd want to sign them up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net