Current Page: 1 of 2
Is there scope in the Warriors budget?
Posted by: everycloud (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 12:19

In light of Saracens relegation, this opens up a very interesting situation for Warriors. There has been a lot of talk about Saracens having to lose players and if this is the case, we are in a strong position to pick some of them up, as we must be one of the only Premiership clubs under the salary cap. The Times published a list of the full Saracens squad which I have reproduced below. Which ones would people pick?

How the Saracens squad breaks down
Owen Farrell
Mako Vunipola
Billy Vunipola
Jamie George
Vincent Koch
George Kruis
Elliot Daly
Maro Itoje
Will Skelton
Other internationals
Sean Maitland
Richard Wigglesworth
Titi Lamositele
Brad Barritt
Duncan Taylor
Alex Goode
Damian Willemse
Rhys Carre
Alex Lozowski
Ben Spencer
Dominic Day
Jack Singleton
Nick Isiekwe
Calum Clark

Big names who havenít played this season
Juan Figallo
Liam Williams

First-team squad players
Alex Day
Alex Lewington
Ali Crossdale
Ben Earl
Jackson Wray
Joe Gray
Josh Ibuanokpe
Matt Gallagher
Max Malins
Nick Tompkins
Ralph Adams-Hale
Richard Barrington
Rotimi Segun
Tom Whiteley
Tom Woolstencroft
Viliami Hakalo

Academy players
Andy Christie
Charlie Watson
Callum Hunter-Hill
Elliot Obatoyinbo
Joel Kpoku
Kapeli Pifeleti
Sam Crean
Sam Wainwright
Sean Reffell
Tobias Munday
Manu Vunipola

Re: Is there scope in the Warriors budget?
Posted by: AJWarriors (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 12:59

We also have a few players that are still out of contract that will probably be on decent wages so we could possibly be a club that would be able to take a few players but Iíd be more inclined to take the younger less expensive ones, but the question is whether they will want to stay with Sarries and play more? And then maybe add if possible 2 of their better players

If it plays out like this with our out of contract players then Iíd try and get guys in on similar wages at least so we donít over spend but still get the chequebook out of that makes sense

Marco Mama - Ben Earl
Tom Howe - Rotimi Segun
Dean Hammond - Alex Lewington
Ryan Bower - Ralf Adams Hale
Michael Fatialofa - Maro Itoje (dreaming of that one)
Jono Lance - Manu Vunipola
Callum Black - Mako Vunipola (again dreaming)
Joe Taufeteíe - Jack Singleton
Caleb Montgomery - keep
Farai Mudariki - Josh Ibuankope
Dean Hammond - release
Jono Kitto - Ben Spencer

*Some of those guys will be cheaper than some of the guys we currently have with us ie Segun and Earl so we could possibly add guys like the ones I mentioned...who knows. I kind of think Solly knew about this or had an idea,because since Searle we havenít signed anyone and he played down the Will Spencer link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2020 13:02 by AJWarriors.

Posted by: BronsonWarrior (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 13:24

I would imagine every club has been budgeting for this eventuality, ourselves included.

Interestingly, it's being reported by a few journos online that promoted Champo clubs must prove that they've adhered to the salary cap for two seasons before being accepted. If that's enforced, Sarries can't come straight back up, which would mean EVERY international will be off.

Realistically, we're not going to be in the mix for the likes of Farrell, Maro etc. but we could potentially get one from the next tier. Also, wouldn't say no to Jack coming back.

Posted by: Eastrrr Bunny (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 13:32

We may be one of the clubs that have a bit of head room on the cap, they may not have much choice if they want international games and a salary!

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 13:33

For him to take flight once the opportunity arises.

He did not have to leave us, he had already registered with Jones.

He did not want to stay with us, so I would not want him back.

JP

Posted by: everycloud (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 13:39

Isiekwe?

Posted by: Ake1985 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 13:43

Isiekwe but more realistically kpoku could be good options.

I'd really like Jackson Wray, think he's really underrated and would never be away with England. After what Segun did to us a couple of weeks ago, I'd really love to see him at Warriors

Date: 19 January, 2020 13:57

Good point on not being away. Isiekwe is a good shout,but isnít Kpoku going to Saints? If not then heís a good shout too. Jackson Wray is very good but Iím a big fan of Earl

Posted by: Teme Dream (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 16:23

Tom Whiteley and Will Skelton please.

Date: 19 January, 2020 16:27

Not sure on Skelton. He loses his head quite often like he did today. Although he does offer that physical intimidating lock we all want. I reckon heíll go back to Australia though

Posted by: Teme Dream (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 16:33

I think you're right about him going back home AJ. Nice to dream mind. Kruis will do I guess winking smiley

Date: 19 January, 2020 16:39

France

Posted by: centrethere (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 18:28

many must have been complicit - it was a gamble for them, safe in their contracts - so will get paid the same in the championship, unless there are end of employment clauses / notices. They decided on mass not to take pay cuts, so they are going down on their contracts. Let Saracens be, and pay them. We do not want to eat the apples from their rotten barrel.

Posted by: Ake1985 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 18:52

Quote:
AJWarriors
Good point on not being away. Isiekwe is a good shout,but isnít Kpoku going to Saints? If not then heís a good shout too. Jackson Wray is very good but Iím a big fan of Earl

Didn't think kpoku to saints had been confirmed. Any of the Sarries locks would do nicely but I can't see us getting anywhere near any of them!

Date: 19 January, 2020 19:14

He hasnít as of yet I donít think. As for getting players theyíve got to go somewhere Ake. I donít think they get the luxury of choosing where they end up

Posted by: Inbox (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 19:31

I donít doubt that Quins and L Irish will be potentially benefactors to main Sarries squad because of proximity to London and avoiding the uprooting family and homes etc. Believe second choice will be a preference to move down the M4 and the South West (Bath,Bristol and Of course Exeter) rather than choose the M1/M40

But if we can find scope to bring some their stars then no doubt it will help our cause. All the better...

Date: 19 January, 2020 20:20

But, if they do move to said clubs those will have to unload as well to create the salary gap. We then snap them up if better than what we have or to strengthen the squad.

There will be a ripple effect, meaning some players may end up in championship or another country.

JP

Date: 19 January, 2020 20:37

Itís been said that a lot of clubs have done their recruitment already. I donít think we have done ours or completed it anyway from the messages Solly has been sending out in the press.

We have signed up pretty much the majority of our squad but still have guys like Big Joe and Marco out of contract so theyíll need to be replaced and a few gaps need filling. If we were to recruit any Sarries players then I think we would be in a better position than most to being a few on board. Also we are an exciting prospect.

I also think potentially bringing in guys like that would boost revenue and attendances, especially when theyíre playing for your club

Posted by: Trent_Blue (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 21:09

No point going for the England internationals that miss half the season and on mega money, we should be targeting the next crop of talent.
Tom whitely #1 target
Alex Lexington (out of contract), #2 target
Jon kpoku (hopefully doesnít follow brother to saints) or segun could be a shout
Manu vunipola... we have searle but would be going for him over faz whose on a mil.
Ben Earle but not sure if realistic. (No way would he command less than mama is on).

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 09:50

Above all we have to have players that will fit in with what we are trying to achieve, and that in the circumstances may be a difficult thing to judge.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net