Current Page: 1 of 2
Of course they knew
Posted by: Old Col (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 18:37

Of course the Saracens players knew --what was the point of forming companies in additon to their salaries ? Of course they joined Saracens to play for England . Farrell ,Itoje etc are in it up to their necks . Eddie Jones and the RFU have bottled it and chosen them and several others for the England squad instead of refusing to do so and Eddie says that is going to help restore the image of professional rugby in this country .!!! I will not support England ,as I have done all my long life ,if there is a single Saracens player in the final 23.Anyone else angry?

Re: Of course they knew
Posted by: TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 19:02

Not as angry as you, no.

Posted by: centrethere (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 19:50

Is not the argument with Saracens and Premier Rugby and not with England Rugby?

Posted by: Drahm for England (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 20:54

Eddie Jones will choose who he believes to be currently the best, fit 23 players for the England squad. Who they play for in the Premiership is immaterial at present.

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 22:39

I understand exactly how you feel Old Col, however to make millions of England fans suffer and watch a 2nd team take on the other 5 nations would be more unfair.

Itís for England to say to these players show us just how proud you are about English supporters and get out there and win for them!

I expect them to be absolute Trojans over the 6 Nations fight for England.

I feel and hope they can do this for us.

JP

Posted by: NW2 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 11:28

I don't give a stuff about Sarries, but I DO care about England. Yes, these players must have known what was going on, or at least did their best ostrich impressions, but they are human beings with a relatively short career/ earning potential. If I were in their position, I can't hand on heart say I wouldn't have done the same. Eddie should pick his best team.

Posted by: WarwickEastie (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 12:33

I think you are over reacting Old Col.

They may have had misgivings - but will have been told that the lawyers and accountants had been through everything and it was all 100% kosha. To single out the players and pass it on to England is not right.

The wrong doing was management's - they devised it and talked everyone else into it. Be angry with them by all means...
I'll continue to support England and the players wherever they come from.

Date: 21 January, 2020 12:37

Old Col, you're not part Welsh are you by any chance(Sm159)(Sm128)(Sm30)

JP

Date: 21 January, 2020 13:15

Absolutely 100% English--apart from my great grandmother from County Antrim in 1890 .I just think 1)that "mistakes " are not the same as calculated acts of deceit 2)the full extent of the wrongdoing has not yet been revealed --deliberately witheld .3)The damage is extensive and there will be ongoing damage especially to the championship 4) the players at Allianz played under a banner of HUMILITY HONESTY and INTEGRITY (please correct me if I am wrong ) 5) The players were a completely integral part of the "family ", "Something special ",knew what was going on and therefore as responsible for the above as the then owner etc who was aiming to make some of them rich .
So I would rather support an England side without them -which in any case may not just be its second team but something special in its own right . Sorry if I offend -still feel cheated for having been led to believe I was following a fair league competition for the last several years . In response to popular demand I will try and calm down and say more more .

Date: 21 January, 2020 13:45

No offence whatsoever Old Col, its great for discussion to have different views makes it more enjoyable.

I can understand your view though, just I hate getting beaten by Wales & Scotland.

JP

Posted by: TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 14:19

No one is offended Old Col - simply disagreeing.

It is simply my point of view that such a penetrative (maybe?, wide ranging?) response does not fit the crime.

You clearly believe differently, and that is your moral position.

Date: 21 January, 2020 18:10

Old Col,

Now you can have a go at England Rugby - as they have not confirmed they will not pick Saracen players if they go overseas.

Posted by: Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 20:46

Iím not quite as angry but Iím astonished how lightly the coaches in particular seem to have come out of this as victims. The senior, hugely paid, players probably had an inkling that being able to put out a test team in the premiership would be hard to do within the cap...I say that with more than a little sarcasm. They have got off very lightly in this. Itís the young and up and coming players I feel sorry for. A year in the Champ will set them back massively.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 21:31

Quote:
Whispering_Death
Iím not quite as angry but Iím astonished how lightly the coaches in particular seem to have come out of this as victims. The senior, hugely paid, players probably had an inkling that being able to put out a test team in the premiership would be hard to do within the cap...I say that with more than a little sarcasm. They have got off very lightly in this. Itís the young and up and coming players I feel sorry for. A year in the Champ will set them back massively.

This...
and i think coaches knew as well...but the RFU has a vested interest and doesnt want players banned because it damages the brand.
They dont seem to get that the brand is under an intense microscope and the game is not far off being rotten, the longer people twiddle their thumbs, imv.

Date: 21 January, 2020 21:38

It was largely a calculated risk by Saracens. They will get over it after a year in the Championship, which they have to win mind you. During which time, they will have the chance to cut contracts, squad size and input into the salary cap review that is going to happen. And if it is quick, and recommends a substantial rise, then they wont need to get rid of that many, on their way back up again.

They don't need our sympathy and we don't need their players. But do agree the coaches are sitting pretty at present, and appear likely to avoid any 'bloodgate-type' involvement

Date: 22 January, 2020 08:38

[www.theguardian.com]

Premier rugby chief on why they are not publishing the report on Saracen's cheating

Date: 22 January, 2020 11:22

Oh well--breaking my resolution to say no more--is it a rumour or has it been said that the report is not being published "to protect the players " ?Oh and great news from the RFU that players CAN be selected for England even if they are playing abroad. No connivance anywhere with anybody then ?

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2020 11:45

Brendan Venter said it's to protect the players, he seems to be Sarries gob-on-a-stick at the moment.

Posted by: kiddykid (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2020 13:07

Hereís another thought.
Rugby is the greatest team sport in the world. X number of blokes all playing for the same club with one thought in mind..........the Club. You help out your mates and as players retire/move on although the faces change the basic motivation does not.
So, imagine two Sarries players being Ďparachutedí in say, for a season. They are good, so good that they go into the first XV and two regular players are demoted to the bench, and two bench players do not make the match day squad. What does that do for the team ethos and spirit - especially when everyone knows that at the end of the season they will fly back to their home club at The Allianz.
So, ask yourself this............is it best to take the two players for a year with possible consequences that they bring, or, does Solly say ďwe are not signing any Sarries players - we are putting our confidence in you guysĒ. Just imagine the effect that could have on the Warriors playing staff.
Short term gain for the short term, or stay as we are and build the Club spirit?
You decide.

Date: 22 January, 2020 13:37

My view's out there Kiddy - don't go near them.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net