Here's a Thought
Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 07:30

Now we know that the relegated club is going to be Saracens the vast majority of this season can be played as a season with no relegation by the other 11 clubs!

We get to see what a season feels like if there was no relegation Something that might be around for 2/3 seasons if we grow the premiership to 14 clubs or maybe even 16 depending on what CVC see as getting them the biggest return on their investment

No relegation what could it mean for supporters and the game plans. Some have said games will become boring with nothing to play for, well maybe not.

The emphasis for the rest of the season should shift from must not lose(fear of relegation) to one of must win!

It is so close this season already any of the 11 remaining clubs could make the top 7 and the big money maker competition The European Championship.

Attack priority instead of defence defence defence. What a prospect selection of all the inventive athletic players who can score tries. FANTASTIC fast exciting rugby with Europe to play for. Those clubs that don't adapt to this could miss out.

It also gives an opportunity to get the hi-potential young guns playing at the top level much sooner.

This now could be the most exciting season for years!

What do you think?

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/01/2020 07:32 by Faithful_City.

Re: Here's a Thought
Posted by: TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 08:33

Quote:
Faithful_City
The emphasis for the rest of the season should shift from must not lose(fear of relegation) to one of must win!

JP

I have never been able to get my head round this arguement. People say that playing the flashy attractive stuff is the best way to play rugby (as JP says 'must win').

The logical alternative (to me at least) is to say - to avoid relegaion is to 'not lose' - then a tight unflashy low risk game is the best way to 'not lose'.

On the basis 'not losing' is winning - why don't we all just do that and win the league. It's not a beauty contest after all.....

Well surely the way to 'not lose' is to 'win'.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/01/2020 08:35 by TVM Rides Again.

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 08:59

Flashy, attractive rugby is not necessarily a winning combination and not something I am advocating.

What I would like to see is priority on attacking rugby not having a mind set of if I don’t lose then I win, more if I win I don’t lose.

Positive thoughts, not “don’t” lose but “do” win.

Let’s get out there with a determination and drive to “WIN!”

JP

Posted by: WarwickEastie (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 12:41

JP - you are right that 'avoiding losing' can dominate a team mentality and can also influence tactics in order to minimise risk taking. We've seen past seasons where the play has been turgid as a result when we're in the relegation zone scrap.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we suddenly switch to basketball / rugby 7's approach - but it could encourage us to play a bit more 'heads up' rugby, attempt one or two more offloads etc. If so, I'm all for that.......besides I don't think we're equipped for a forward dominated 'up the jumper' game plan anyway, so we may as well try to play a decent all round game.

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 12:49

I think the most important aspect is to show that the league is not dead this season. There's top 6 to chase for every team as even Tigers are not that far away with quite a few games left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net