Will Saracens get a parachute payment ?
Posted by: Old Col (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 09:39

Will Saracens get a parachute payment when they voluntarily go down to the Championship who have had their funding slashed at the same time ?
Championship as a competitive lreague and feeder to the Premiership completely screwed?
Does anyone still think the effects of their wrongdoing have been fully felt yet ? How many jobs /players careers are going to be lost or damaged in the impoverished ,meaningless next season in the Championship ?

Re: Will Saracens get a parachute payment ?
Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 10:08

Yes sarries will get the parachute payment as PRL will not be allowed under regulations to stop it.

Championship Clubs have finally blown their opportunity, they have not managed to produce a financially attractive product.

No use saying but they have no money, well neither did PRL when Pro Rugby was created and the top club came together invested £100's millions of their own money and created a product CVC were happy to invest £100's millions into.

Cecil alone must have invested well over £20million and all the time we were in the Championship/Division1 the other clubs whined at us for spending so much money but never invested themselves. Some did and maybe one of them could fill the 24th slot in the conferences

JP

Posted by: PMB (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 22:00

Of course Sarries will get the parachute payment and odds on the requirement to be below the Prem salary cap for two years before promotion will be binned. It is sad that Warriors supporters seem to forget where they came from, they are not the only club to have investors who have spent money over the years battling against unfair rules and funding-after all the parachute payment only increased (doubled) when one of the favoured few was relegated, Harlequins I believe. Remember when Sixways capacity was increased to 12K + to comply but Bath could not manage that so it dropped to 10K

Posted by: Drahm for England (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 09:12

There is a key difference between those Championship clubs who have aspirations of the Prem e.g. Pirates, Ealing, Coventry etc and those who are quite happy to be near the up reaches of the Championship and never go up e.g. Bedford. Ultimately, that is one of the major reasons why the Championship has failed, because not ALL of the clubs actually WANT to be promoted!!!

Posted by: NW2 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 18:07

Sad to say, I agree that the rule about being below the Prem salary cap for two seasons in the championship will be ignored for Saracens to allow them straight back up. (I am assuming here that the article I read quoting the rule was factual).

Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 10:30

I'm pretty certain I've read that they will NOT get a parachute payment.

Date: 14 February, 2020 10:36

Canít see Sarries accepting that without a court action

They are entitled to it as per agreements.

They have been punished.

JP

Posted by: Diverdave (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 10:41

Itís a shame really, whilst the championship is to be relieved if itís funding via the RFU the team who has been relegated for offences gets a parachute payment

Posted by: usa warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 12:33

They have agreed to the sanction. Of which, no parachute payment would have been a part. Can't see what they have to argue really.

Posted by: Inbox (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 13:38

Irrespective if they do or donít get the parachute payment, their income will be severely depleted. As expected Allianz have dropped their sponsorship, apparently worth £2m per season. Whilst Iím sure they will find other takers for stadium and shirts sponsorship - I will be very surprised theyíll be get anywhere near the Allianz contribution.

Very few companies get excited about damaged goods associated to their business.

Date: 14 February, 2020 13:40

Where have you read that USA

Please show where No parachute payment is part and parcel of relegation/punishment/sanction

JP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net