Full match Video: Bears Vs Warriors
Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 15:13

Watch It HERE

watch in comfort and analyse what you see then we can get a fair feeling for how the game actually went.

Some of the stuff written in the heat of the result does not stand the test of reality.

JP

Re: Full match Video: Bears Vs Warriors
Posted by: AJWarriors (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 19:16

Just watched the game again and there were a lot of things I noticed good and bad

Positives:

Defence was sold in the contact and physicality in driving the Bris players backwards in the tackle. Omar has done a great job in keeping the team compact and working together as a unit.

We have 2 potential world class players in Ted and Ollie. Ollie will be an amazing player and our main guy in attack. His offloads are ambitious and outrageous but more importantly they stick. That is a sign of a very very good player. Both possess huge physicality both in attack and defence.

Scrum was solid as a rock and I thought the back row were very good. Cornell carries so well and has great hands as does Marco. I think Mama has done enough to secure a new deal. Heís a very valuable player and should be kept on in some capacity which may prove difficult due to guys already being in contract.

Francois is back to his best. His delivery of pass and covering in the backline is back to where it should be and heís playing his natural game and not forcing anything.

We look decent both in defence and attack. Thankfully itís the small things that are letting us down like timing of the pass and recognising when to give the ball for example Shilly deciding to take on a man and then trying a miracle offload to Ted when he should have just offloaded it to him moments before for the run in. Thankfully things like that can be learnt and eradicated and itís not the fundamental ones like defence/attack.

The academy lads are the real deal. Simple as that. Iím writing this season off in a positive sense. Use this season to blood the talented guys so they learn without the pressure of relegation and learn from scenarios like the Shilly to Ted situation.

Negatives:

Penalties, penalties and more penalties

On observation I think I know where we are going wrong and see where we are giving the penalties away. If you watch how we defend, in the tackle we seem to try and hold the opposing player up to slow the game down and allow our players to get into our defensive set, which is a very good thing...if done with better technique. A lot of our forwards and one or two backs were trying this but ended up going high instead. The main perpetrators were Cornell, Big Kitch and a few from Beck. If we sort out the technical side of this hopefully we can eradicate the penalty on that side of things.

Concentration at key moments. It happens during the game at some point or another, but with us at the moment itís happening on a regular basis. Kicking balls out on the full is one of them. Again that can be sorted, but thatís down to the player and not coaching.

Iím being picky now, but I can see maybe why Van Breda isnít being picked. When he came on for Beck I watched him carefully and leading up to Bristolís try he missed two pretty easy tackles if I can say that leading up to the stress of our defence and is conceding the penalty for their quick tap and run in under the posts.

All in all thereís a lot to be positive about and use this season to eradicate these mistakes in preparation for next year. Also now is the time to blood the youngsters under no pressure so they can adjust early to the Premiership for next year.

The mistakes we are making arenít fundamental, which is a positive. Collectively we look a well drilled team but I feel itís two things. Concentration and technical issues in our defence.

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 21:26

AJW I hear what you say but the mistakes we are making are the same ones over and over again. Our attcking play is I am sorry to say very imited in ambition. The last few games before yesterday of Glos, LI, Sarries, Wasps and Bath have all been pretty poor, in some cases worse than that. Four of those have also been at home.
We have a new coaching team to bed in next season including a third new addition ( is it Mefin that is off? ) This season in my view is turning into a shocker and the more I hear Solly blaming referees, the more I feel he is turning into the sort of half wit DoR's we have had in the past. Sorry to be so negative but it is how I fee l, just fed up with the same old thing.

Posted by: AJWarriors (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 23:13

No Rollo I do agree. It has gone from a very exciting and promising start to a downward spiral, that is why Iíve written it off. I have said the same in parts with Solly about excuses..if Iím brutally honest Iím not overly keen on him but I know the players like him. Itís sad really that people feel itís the same old and Iím the same. I just feel thereís too much talking now...players and coaches need to get it together sooner rather than later. The only thing that keeps me interested is the new generation

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2020 08:30

My issue with the team is that not enough of them can play heads up rugby, or are too afraid to because of the coaches. My reasons for saying this are:

1. Always trying to tackle high. I understand why you'd want to, but it isn't always the best option. Referees are very random at shouting "Maul" and often we lose far too much yardage. We also run the risk of a high tackle. There are times for the choke tackle, and times for the chop tackle (or tackle as it was called in my day).
2. We kick too much. Against Wasps it was obvious that we were far too easy to read. Wasps chucked players back every time and we kicked it straight to them. If players are back, who is in the defensive line? Heads up, and you run it, perhaps just to keep the opposition guessing.
3. When we do play heads up rugby the support players aren't expecting it. It shouldn't just be the back row and half backs looking for gaps to exploit, everyone should be looking. They should know each other's game and when to expect a team mate to snipe, that way we can support our runners.

None of this requires skill, it just requires an understanding of the game. I do feel that when Mills is on form we get more of the right decisions, he tends to play what he sees and not what the coaches have told him to do. I'm not suggesting we play the French 'Joue Joue' rugby, play the game plan, but keep your eyes peeled for chances.

The coaches should be there to put a game plan in place, but players should also know how to exploit the unexpected. I don't see this when I watch us play.

Date: 25 February, 2020 08:56

coaches what coaches??

When did you last read anything or hear anything from Duncan, Doak et al.

We are wandering headless to where??

JP

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 25 February, 2020 10:01

The fact of the matter is that many of the squad are not up to genuine premiership standard, the reason for many of the penalites as we are constanly under presure.
I think a lot of stall is being placed in getting the acadamy through quicker than normal. Thats fine but you need some old heads with them.
Our recruitment in the last two seasons has been poor, look at Sales v ours
Fatilofa, Fidow, Nanai, Carey, Kitto, Mudariki, Pallreyman, Lance all little or no impact.

Date: 25 February, 2020 14:26

AJW spot on again, just what have last season's recruits provided, how have they improved the existing squad?

Player                            Prem Starts
Melani Nanai                             6
Graham Kitchener                  10
Ed Fidow                                     2
Caleb Montgomery                 0
Conor Carey                               3
Matt Moulds                              6
Jono Kitto                                   0
Richard Palframan                   2
Farai Mudariki                           0

But for Graham Kitchener none of them have improved the quality of the match day team.

So far we have recruited 1 player a young potential flyhalf from Wasps.

If we are spending up to the salary cap then we are not spending wisely

JP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net