Current Page: 1 of 2
Soccer to Sixways
Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 15:16

Worcester Raiders, maybe someone more techy can do a link .

Re: Soccer to Sixways
Date: 29 July, 2020 15:18

Lost link on offy, was on Facebook.

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 15:32

The Linky Thing

Very interesting.

Make more use of the facilities and yet another income stream.

JP

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 15:39

I will give it a go certainly.

Next up - hockey??

JP

Posted by: WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 15:46

An absolutely horrific club. Anyone that follows or indeed has played non league football in Worcester will know what iím talking about. Otherwise, google will help.

Posted by: Mikey40 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 15:55

You are right WorcesterSauce, think the owners have misread the feeling in the local football community here. There is only one main football club in Worcester, who have finally made it home back to Claines Lane. despite the lack of help at every turn by the city council. For whatever reason the talks between Worcester City and the owners fell through, probably wanting to keep it a suuporter/community owned club a sticking point for the owners? All the best to the Raiders for the move, but I just can't see them growing to become the main club in the city even playing in a state of the art stadium. Least the City now have the Claines ground all to themselves now, a shame though as I was one of many city supporters who thought the tie up between the rugby club and the football club should be the way forward, it seems it still is... just with the wrong team in my opinion.

Posted by: Godolphin (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 17:33

Jason and Colin wanted to own a football club lock stock and barrel, and who easier to buy than Worcester Raiders? They've bought a place in the West Midlands Regional League so have fast tracked a few leagues already. Effectively that's the end of the line for Worcester Raiders, as the club will now probably become Worcester Warriors FC, which is what the owners always wanted.

Posted by: TrueWarrior (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 18:33

I have a friend who plays for a team in Raiders league and been to watch him play a few times, they are a horrible outfit. Swearing and intimidating at officials and just generally acting in a disgraceful way. Do not really want us associated with them in any way.

Posted by: LiveInHope (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 19:02

I really hope it works for both Warriors & Raiders. Have never been a football man, but we have a huge stadium only used for a few days every month. No one is making money out of professional rugby & up till now Worcester have been losing money. In my book anything that adds money or dilutes our overheads is a good thing.
As for Raiders being a horrible outfit....for me that sounds like most football players, but I am not & never had been a football man, but one of the many things that put me off football is the swearing & play acting that annoys me.
Was worried & orignally not a fan of our new owners, but I have been hugely impressed by them. Yes they are not rugby men, but in the past rugby men have cocked things up. So maybe non-rugby men is the right way forward. They are trying to turn a failing business into a successful business, by adding a football team to project is a good thing & really wish them all the best.

Date: 29 July, 2020 19:46

Apart form never being a football man LiH +1

Posted by: Abmatt (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 19:47

LiH Iím not even sure if they are football men.

I am forming the impression that they are business men whoís business happens to be sport, which is what professional sport is now, business.

Posted by: LiveInHope (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 20:28

In my view it was always a business as soon as it went professional.
Some say that is wrong, but i became a fan of the professional game, when i discover Scotlands Gary Armstrong (at the time in my book the worlds best 9) was working as an agricultural driver earning £90/week. He was bruised & battered most weeks with maybe an additional £50 under the table as boot money, but it wasnít enough to feed a family well. Just out of Uni with no family I was on considerably more....thus just wrong.
We need business men to ensure the club is run well & viable. Believe good business should lead to good consistent rugby over the medium to long term. The rugby men went for quick wins then bust, just look at Mosely, Wasps & hate to say it old Worcester.
If the new owners are football men - good, if business men - good.

Date: 29 July, 2020 21:50

Just to be clear, there is absolutely no money to be made By owning Worcester Raiders. The only time they may become profitable would be if they got into the very higher leagues. Iím not saying they will be a huge strain on our resources, but they wonít make money. The owners have said that they will grow them organically and not throw money at them so they may never ever advance beyond their current level, weíll see. And for clarity their current level is just a little higher than good pub football!

Posted by: Old Col (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 23:03

Are they professionals ? semi -professionals--do they attract any suporters ? Can worcester really support two soccer teams ?

Date: 29 July, 2020 23:31

I understand a few of their team are paid a bit of money but we certainly are not talking about a professional or even semi professional outfit. They money they get is extremely minimal too, on a pay as you play basis.

They get next to no fans. I donít know what their official attendances are but iíd hazard a guess at 100-150 or so.

Worcester can support two football teams at the level they are both currently at, not a problem.

Posted by: Old Col (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 09:47

THankyou W.S.

Posted by: shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 10:55

I think that the most encouraging aspect of this is that it shows that the owners are taking a long term view of their business. Do we know how many leagues separate the Raiders from the the City? As far as the Raiders are concerned it seems quite smart as they would probably have become in time the City reserves. It seems to me that City have possibly made the same mistake that they made when they turned Cecil down. Time will tell. Perhaps 3 or 4 of the Morecambe youth team or reserves needing a game could play for the Raiders if the rules allow it.

Date: 30 July, 2020 11:02

If you wrote down a list of the mistakes that Worcester FC have made over the years it would be a pretty long one. There is some more detail on the VF22 site

Date: 30 July, 2020 11:17

Time will tell if this turns out to be another one of those mistakes or not, but iíd suggest that history and ownership shows that by choosing to remain fan owned, Worcester City have taken the completely understandable option.

What happens to Raiders when the owners sell up, for instance? If we get new owners that donít want Raiders about (it is very unlikely that they will be a money maker after all) they suddenly become homeless.

I wouldnít be knocking Worcester Cityís decision just yet. Letís see what the landscape looks like in 5 and 10 years time.

Posted by: TrueWarrior (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 13:12

They are certainly better than a pub side. Some decent players at that level and certainly if they were to go up a few steps on the ladder, some very decent players.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net