Smith, Wynn, Atkinson and Forsythe
Posted by: Bevere Warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 21:56

I would have thought that at least one of Fin Smith, Ollie Wynn, Seb Atkinson or Jack Forsythe would have featured once during our last few fixtures. All are meant to be very talented, especially Smith and there’s nothing really to play for currently.
I know they are all young at only 18 but if they’re good enough, they’re old enough.
I noted Bath had Orlando Bailey who is of a similar ilk as Smith was on their bench for the last match.
Thoughts?

Re: Smith, Wynn, Atkinson and Forsythe
Posted by: LiveInHope (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 22:13

Agree, could be a good idea.
But in what game?
We needed to win against Irish for pride & also to stop the spiral of doom, which could have long term consequences.
Or we could have added them to the weaker sides to play Exeter, Bath or Bristol, which could have been sole destroying for such young guys. Also must remember that we already had a lot of youth to blood/test.
But it could have been an idea & makes sense.

Posted by: WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 22:32

Think that Solly would probably argue they are still too young. Lawrence was clearly good enough at 18 but it took him a while to earn his full debut and even longer to become a key member of the first team, despite the fact he was clearly good enough.

Solly doesn’t seem one for throwing the very young in too early and I get that. There is plenty of time for them to play rugby and you don’t want to risk these players being burned out by 25 or being thrown in and physically battered. Many of the names mentioned are tiny (relatively) still. But then again players like Marcus Smith were thrown in at 18. Who knows which way is best.

I expect we’ll see them next season during the European Cup.

Posted by: AJWarriors1 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 22:55

They have literally only just joined full time at the club out of school this month! It’s way way too soon to be subjecting them to that kind of intensity physically or mentally. Between them they have only played a handful of A league games so they’ll need a full season before they’re ready for Premiership rugby. They’ll probably get game time in the cup games and Europe but it’s far too soon for them to be playing in the Premiership. If they do get the chance it will be on merit though. I think out of all of them Smith would be the one that plays

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2020 22:59 by AJWarriors1.

Posted by: WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 23:27

Yep agree AJ. There are a few players who do manage it very early but two of those mentioned are half backs and are nowhere near ready physically.

Saying that I do remember a certain Matt Kvesic making his debut for us when he was 17, although he seemed to physically be in big enough shape from a very young age.

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2020 07:21

Back when Kvesic started players were not as big and athletic as the monsters that play now.

JP

Posted by: Brummagem7's (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2020 12:16

Would've liked to have seen Monks at 8, did well at Moseley. Think he's been injured?

Posted by: AJWarriors1 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2020 12:42

Yea he’s injured. I agree though I’d like to have seen that too

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net