Current Page: 1 of 2
Coventry v Pirates
Posted by: Pirate15 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 11:16

There are a number of changes to the pirates squad for this weeks game away to Coventry. A number of players are missing due to injury and a few are unavailable. There is a welcome return to the bench for fit again Fa'atiga Lemalu.
Full details on the clubs website.
Starting 15
15 Kyle Moyle 14 Alex O'Meara 13 Rory Parata 12 Callum Patterson 11 Harry Davey
10 Javier Rojas Alvarez 9 Alex Schwarz 1 Jack Andrew 2 Tom Channon 3 Craig Mitchell
4 Danny Cutmore 5 Brett Beukeboom (c) 6 Will Wilson 7 Antonio Kiri Kiri 8 James McRae
Replacements
16 Dan Frost 17 Hayden King 18 Jay Tyack 19 Fa'atiga Lemalu 20 Tom Duncan
21 Paddy Ryan 22 Rhodri Davies 23 Shae Tucker

Re: Coventry v Pirates
Posted by: cornishbob (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 13:07

Good to see Lamalu in the reckoning again, this squad no matter how you permutate always looks good enough. Coventry however will have others ideas and this could be a potential banana skin if we aren't on our mettle tomorrow. I'd be happy with 4pts from this but 5 would be 'ansum'.

Posted by: Longrockerz1 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 13:41

Good to see that Harry Davey is fit again also. Hope he can now start to produce the performances that lead to Sterlo signing him. Also there is an error in the starting 15 on the App. It shows Robin Wedlake at 14, but the preview on the Offy says Wedlake is unavailable and O'Mara is at 14 with Paddy Ryan taking Alex's berth on the bench.

Posted by: Cowship Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 16:55

With three sent off we deserved to lose.

Posted by: Pirate15 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 16:56

Coventry 28 Pirates 23
A disappointing result after a bright start by the pirates when we led 13-3 halfway through the first half.
Our discipline let us down with 2 yellow cards and we conceded a number of penalties which gave possession and territory to Coventry.
A useful reminder that we need to perform every week in this league to get the win, hopefully a big performance from the boys at home next week to Doncaster.

Posted by: chenoweth (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 17:19

Have to say very unprofessional today but it has been coming for a few weeks.
The last thing you need to do if your losing is to kick the ball away and then concede penalties. However even worst is achieving a good lead and then doing it. Not sure we have progressed a lot since the Ealing game. Winning yes! but not cohesive or sharp and lacking direction.

Posted by: 1spy (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 17:41

Interested to find out whether the artificial pitch had an impact on the Pirates game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2020 17:53 by 1spy.

Date: 01 February, 2020 18:55

I spy
Not sure it affects your head.

Posted by: 1spy (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 19:09

Impressive attendance 2786.

Posted by: Wino (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 08:58

Covís website report reckons the subbing off of Kiri Kiri on 53 minutes was the key turning point in the game. Any Pirates fans there got a view on that?

Posted by: 2Harbourview (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 09:48

Felt like we got mugged. Certainly on the wrong side of the ref who had a shocker. I maintain you never lose because of refereeing decisions and we had chances to win it at the end, and here is the but. 3 times we destroyed their scrum and had them going backwards at a rate of knots and each time we got penalised, the last one they kicked to the corner and scored from the line out. What became the wining try was facilitated by NFL type blocking which took out about half our midfield. Yes, the guy finished it off well, but he had a clear run at the start. Sorry, I had promised myself I would only post positives on here.
Good day out as always at Cov. Really like the way the ground has come together and great fans

Date: 02 February, 2020 10:10

2 Harbourview
I think you hit the nail on the head. Ref penalised us at the scrum so we gave him two more opportunities to penalise us. Not rocket science is it, Don't bleddy do it!

Posted by: *Stalwart (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 10:25

Quote:
chenoweth
2 Harbourview
I think you hit the nail on the head. Ref penalised us at the scrum so we gave him two more opportunities to penalise us. Not rocket science is it, Don't bleddy do it!

Be good to hear Paves take on this. It does seem that scrums are a lottery sometimes. Can't blame the pack for shoving their opponents backwards if they can, it's their job.

Posted by: PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 10:36

Quote:
Wino
Covís website report reckons the subbing off of Kiri Kiri on 53 minutes was the key turning point in the game. Any Pirates fans there got a view on that?

As a Cov supporter, I was relieved to see him leave the field, he is a nuisance! Not sure why he was taken off and I feel that this was a contributing factor to your loss but I also felt that we improved ourselves in the second half too.

All views expressed in this post, are my own

Date: 02 February, 2020 10:40

Stalwart
Paves can say whatever he wants, its the Ref that blows the whistle.
Streuth!! if THE REF says no then its NO!

Posted by: Wino (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 11:07

Thanks for all the feedback - sounds like it was at least as frustrating to be there as it was listening on Radio Dreckley. And thank you Paul - Rossborough is a very famous Coventry rugby name - any relation to Peter?

Posted by: wallwuz (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 14:44

The Pirates forwards were very strong yet again
Nothing to do with bad refereeing, for the last 30 mins we lost shape, kicked really , really poorly and could not catch the ball

Too many penalties given away by silly decisions BUT we were the better team and should have won by 15 points , Paves and Gav will be very frustrated I am sure

It happens sometimes but we have played very well during the last 10 games or so and I am sure this was just a bad 30 mins

£21 ticket price , £4.00 a pint , £8.00 for fish and chips but almost 3,000 packed in

Aggressive atmosphere , we were not clapped onto the pitch, our scores were not applauded so bit of a bear pit , but we enjoyed it very much

Posted by: cheshire exile (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 19:26

5.00 to park, only one pay & display machine. Beer van (from sponsors) incredibly slow. Bloomfield Tavern 2 minutes away was excellent.
When we went in at half time ahead after playing into the wind and having 2 men sin binned I thought the game was ours. Unfortunately by then we had got on the wrong side of the ref, hence the poor decisions around the scrum and the blocking in the last quarter.
I do wonder what use the assistant refs are. One of them had a clear view of the obstruction and said nothing.
Fair play to Cov, they kept going, were fit and well organised. Not difficult to see why they are unbeaten at home.

Posted by: OldNick (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2020 14:11

Quote:
2Harbourview
Felt like we got mugged. ... What became the wining try was facilitated by NFL type blocking which took out about half our midfield. Yes, the guy finished it off well, but he had a clear run at the start.

Hereís the video of the tries. [youtu.be]

The kick to James Martin which starts his run for that try is at about 1 min, 50 seconds. Please tell me where the invisible blockers are.

Posted by: cheshire exile (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2020 16:53

You can see our left wing hit the ground just before Martin catches the ball.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net