Current Page: 1 of 4
Premiership/RFU stitch up
Posted by: Charlestown Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2020 21:33

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Not sure if anyone has seen that yet, looks like its just out. Reads like a bit of a stitch up!! I havent got subscription to the telegraph so could only read the first couple of paragraphs....

Re: Premiership/RFU stitch up
Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2020 22:25

It's in the Grauniad too. Readable there! [www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: 1spy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2020 23:04

If its true the RFU has shafted the future of Rugby.

Posted by: Mrs Woll (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 08:15

This is truly shameful and self serving!

Cornwall needs a Stadium, for health, for wealth, for Cornish pride. Sportva Kernow now!
Facebook/Twitter event: [www.facebook.com]
Follow it on Twitter: [twitter.com]
Like it on Facebook: [facebook.com]

Posted by: old prop steve (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 08:28

Should the Championship clubs now announce and enforce their own salary cap of circa £1m with which the Saracens (or indeed anyone else being relegated) has to comply or simply be relegated yet again? Might it also help prevent another Yorkshire Carnegie or London Welsh fiasco? The League would certainly become more competitive which was the sole aim of PRL in applying it to the Premiership,

Given all the outpouring of pious words from the other PRL clubs and the media in general there will never be a better time to do it.

Obviously there could be some downsides but what do others think?

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 09:18

Personally I think the whole situation stinks. There has to be room for clubs like Pirates and Ealing to dream and given the right circumstances achieve that goal of Premership rugby. FWIW I believe that two clubs should face relegation from the top tier this season, Saracens and the bottom club of the remaining teams. There should be fixed period concessions for promoted teams for ground capacity and facilities to give the, a chance to build a squad capable in the first instance of survival.

Good fortune for the rest of the season

Wizard
Franklins Gardens

Posted by: *Stalwart (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 10:44

RFU are not fit for purpose. Let's join the Pro 12.

Posted by: Barv Du (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 12:12

I have said it for a very long time - The RFU is a complete waste of space. The sooner the progressive Championship clubs get together and find an alternative to the status quo, the better. If the RFU don't like it - tough.
I must admit though, this really has come as no surprise. The total lack of interest in the Championship has been present for years - just see how no thought has ever been given to finding a proper cup competition, just to mention one thing. It's time to get the thinking heads together amongst the Championship clubs, search for an independent sponsor and cut all ties with the RFU.

Posted by: Porthusek Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 12:22

It's rare that rugby is in a position where it can learn from footbal but this is a good example of where it should.

Shockingly backward thinking in this day and age.

The RFU ought to look (well the are quite clearly aware of course) at how the FA run the, ever so slightly successful, English Football Premiership.

Posted by: Barv Du (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 14:10

Replying to Old Prop Steve. I wrote to the RFU a month or more ago at the height of the Saracens' debacle regarding the introduction of a salary cap for teams coming down to the Championship from the Premiership, but true to form, I have not received any reply.

Posted by: Wino (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 14:19

Given that Tribute is one of Pirates main sponsors, perhaps the RFU blazers could be invited down to St Austell to organise a party, or not, as the case may be.

Posted by: Geoff DC (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 15:32

Statement on behalf of Cornish Pirates and Coventry Rugby

The owners and senior managers of the Cornish Pirates and Coventry Rugby have issued the following response to the RFU’s halving of central funding to the Championship clubs for the 2020/21 season.

Continues >>>

Posted by: wigston pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 16:22

The RFU pushed Championship clubs to have full time players which many did comply with. Then after many years eventually found a sponsor Greene King and did it take many years. Very little TV coverage of lower league matches, no finals at Twickenham where we came away with a trophy and what an atmosphere. I believe the RFU could shoot themselves in the foot regarding there decision and start a breakaway from them and other teams below PRL. I am fuming the richest RFU and making a bloody lash up.

Where will all the PRL players come from at grassroots level in the future and represent their country less they work around southern hemisphere players. They should all clear off without any payment but no doubt if they did there would be something set aside to ensure they can have a payoff and still have privileged seats at their HQ.

(Sm109)

(Sm109)

Posted by: Pirate15 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 19:19

Although I had little faith in the RFU regarding their ability to govern the game below the elite level I was always prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. Well this decision and particularly the timing and content of the press release has shown how right those who questioned the RFU were right to do so.
If you look back over the history of the championship we have had the Rob Andrew era, where clubs were encouraged with promises of funding and sponsorship to commit to turning full time.
Even the most recent review by Nigel Melville focused on young English Qualified Players without any mention of a reduction in funding or that the clubs were failing to meet any previously agreed criteria.
Fast forward to 2020 and it would appear that a new CEO at the RFU has determined that the championship should bear the brunt of any cutbacks to help close the gap in RFU finances.
A CEO who has no previous rugby experience and been in post a matter of months.
He quotes " “The decision taken in 2015 to increase Championship funding significantly was against a set of objectives and deliverables that we do not believe have been achieved."
Yet I cannot find what these objectives were and where is evidence of the alleged failure?
The RFU promote RESPECT as one of their core values, where is the respect shown to the championship clubs or the transparency in this decision making process?
This decision was revealed yesterday to the clubs, no discussion, no opportunity to question the decision or offer alternative solutions and no consideration to phase in any cuts over a 2-3 year period.
This decision is short sighted but will have a long term impact on the game.
The RFU have failed the championship on many levels through the lack of long term funding plan,sponsorship and a clear vision of the future of the game at a professional level.
I have said for many years that IF the RFU and PRL were truly working together for the benefit of young EQP and the game in general then all RFU academies would be sited at championship clubs and not in the premiership. The championship is an ideal level for many of these young players to learn their trade.
Will it happen?
No, because the premiership clubs know the value of the academies and as they also employ players at the elite level then they hold all the cards.
I am no doubt that their has been collusion between PRL and RFU and this is the starting point for 'ring fencing' by other means.
I hope this decision is challenged by all championship clubs and they explore every available option including any possible legal challenge.

Posted by: chenoweth (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 19:41

Personally.
I will not be going to watch England play again.
This RFU management team is completely ignorant and has no empathy for competition within the leagues. They must be sent a message by us the supporters, that message must say you!!! are the problem and certainly not those who aspire to improve both their clubs, players and league status.

Date: 12 February, 2020 20:10

Ex-Pirates prop Jamal Ford-Robinson shows his support for the championship.
'Nail in the coffin' for Championship

Gloucester prop Jamal Ford-Robinson has criticised the RFU’s decision to cut the level of funding for Championship clubs.

Ford-Robinson played for Cornish Pirates early in his career before going on to play for Bristol and helping them win promotion to the Premiership from English rugby’s second tier.

The 26-year-old, who represented England against the Barbarians in 2017, said on Twitter: “The Championship provided the platform that myself and many others needed in order to reach the Premiership.

“While this decision doesn't completely destroy the Champ, it's definitely a nail in the coffin. Can't help but think this decision is incredibly short-sighted.”

Posted by: Porthusek Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 20:26

So when it comes down to it, does the announcement amount to one word?

'Greed'

Date: 12 February, 2020 20:29

Championship clubs are now making the feeling known, here is a part of the media release from Jersey chairman Mark Morgan
“Championship clubs have been trying for months to get clarity around funding following the end of the current funding agreement this summer. To be presented with this fait accompli when teams are already hiring for next season is immoral and irresponsible.

There has been zero consultation, engagement, nor explanation before the announcement and no vision for the future of the Championship was provided. With Bill Sweeney’s heralded business background, this is astonishingly poor execution.

The RFU has talked about ‘missed objectives’. I have attended every Championship meeting at Twickenham over the past 4 years but do not recall this ever being raised by RFU.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 20:34 by Pirate15.

Posted by: Kenwyn. (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 20:51

How about T shirts that both teams wear for warming up when we are featured on Sky #novision

Posted by: 1spy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 09:34

In a Guardian article yesterday new RFU directors Sweeney and Coner O,Shea are taking the brunt of the criticism for this mess. No surprise O,Shea did a poor job with the Italian National side. Time to Boycott purchasing any goods from the RFU shop.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net