County Championship
Posted by: 1spy (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2020 17:15

RFU cancels competition until 2022.

Re: County Championship
Posted by: wigston pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2020 18:58

Sorry to see this but over the years this tournament has dropped off and the RFU do not really support this event as it once did when there was a great atmosphere at Twickenham.

(Sm109)

Posted by: Surrey Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 08:48

Realistically it was never going to take place next season given that there is still no confirmed date for the campaign to start and, I suspect league rugby could well still be being played during the May period that the championship takes place in all being well with coronavirus.

What the issue really is now though - will the RFU use this an excuse not to restart it. They have been quoted as saying the competition is cancelled "for 2021 only", but it's very difficult to believe anything the RFU say.

Posted by: cornishbob (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 09:05

The RFU have dumbed down the county championship for years. It's not even played at HQ anymore and this pandemic will offer them the perfect excuse if they want one to stop it altogether simply by saying as lots of businesses are right now they have to cut their cloth according to the income. This may very well be the death knoll for the CC. Realistically it's been dying on it's feet for decades it's only us and perhaps two other counties who attract anything like a crowd anymore.

Posted by: old prop steve (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 15:22

The various county associations still have a fair bit of sway on age-related rugby. Could there be an argument for a National Under 20/21 competition with some competitive game time for many lads on the fringes of senior clubs?

Also it may well be that the Sevens game may get allowed by the Govt on the post Covid-19. trail before the full 15 a side gets sanctioned. How about reviving reviving the old CRFU Sevens for a one off tournament in late August? Have it open to all the clubs and even some Bolingey Barbarians, Service teams like Culdrose etc etc.? Maybe a womens competition too?

Could be a lot of fun and revive interest?

Posted by: 1spy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2020 09:02

Steve good idea .Great if played at the Stadium4Cornwall.

Posted by: *Stalwart (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2020 11:28

Great ides Steve - the old sevens competition was great fun (to watch anyway).

Posted by: covmick1/Michael Carter (IP Logged)
Date: 16 July, 2020 11:10

Well here is an outsider putting in a view. Tell me to clear off if you think I should.

Sevens is a great spectacle , The old Middlesex sevens use to be a fantastic event, Now and for many years Cornwall has been a good outlet for County rugby.

So how about a Cornish sevens along similar lines to the old Middlesex version. Penzance, Cambourne, Redruth and Launceston could be used for rounds for all Cornish teams who wish to enter. Pick one for the final rounds. You could also factor in invasion teams for the final rounds. Quite a bit of work to set up this. But I know you have some brilliant orgainisors in Cornish Rugby.

Now this is just my self with an opinion . But do you think it would help foster good spirit to all cornish teams of all standards. So over to you. I look forward to your replies.

covmick/Michael Carter

Posted by: Surrey Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 19 July, 2020 09:29

Quote:
cornishbob
The RFU have dumbed down the county championship for years. It's not even played at HQ anymore
The final has been played at HQ continuously since 1984. Cornwall have made the final at Twickenham six times between 2013 and 2019!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net