seismic change for us on wed ?
Posted by: bigm/ mark harrison. (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 05:57

Are we about to see widesweeping changes voted on tomorrow , that could mean no games against newcastle , instead the possibility of old elthamians in the park instead.Funding changes and a play off deciding relegation from the premiership.It would seem we maybe about to see a new chapter , if all the parties finally agree on a way forward.These changes maybe deferred to start in one seasons time. Everyone in rugby waits with baited breath for the decisions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 06:02 by bigm/ mark harrison..

Re: seismic change for us on wed ?
Posted by: PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 06:50

I wonder whether the likes of Ealings owner will continue to pump in as much money, without an obvious or quick way of reaching the premiership.

All views expressed in this post, are my own

Posted by: abdabs (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 08:13

Can't seem to find anything about this meeting?. Is it a Premier league meet?

Posted by: Mick J Shaw (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 12:08

If ring fencing goes ahead which its odvious that its going happen then there is no point in league rugby.
We might as well go back having purely club friendly matches.

Posted by: John Butler (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 13:30

If Leicester are as good as their word, they do not endorse ring fencing. That is what they have stated again, based on what I read at the weekend.
My understanding is I believe in terms of the Premiership, it would have to be a 100% agreement of the clubs before the RFU came in on it.
Call me a pessimist, because, like many, I do not always believe what I have read.
Promotion & relegation though, in any meaningful competition, has to be sacrosanct in some form.
Otherwise, pointless contests arising more & more at some stage in a season.

Posted by: covkid53 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 13:41

Ring fencing is protectionism and could be challenged by those outside the premiership, possibly under monopolies or other laws. Just because clubs in the premiership have stretched their finances, is no reason to deny promotion to other clubs.

Also, found this headline in Wales online:

"English Championship rugby clubs in shock bid to join Guinness PRO14".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 14:08 by covkid53.

Date: 14 May, 2019 14:17

Quote:
covkid53
Ring fencing is protectionism and could be challenged by those outside the premiership, possibly under monopolies or other laws. Just because clubs in the premiership have stretched their finances, is no reason to deny promotion to other clubs.
Also, found this headline in Wales online:

"English Championship rugby clubs in shock bid to join Guinness PRO14".
Now that would be interesting !!!

Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 15:58

The Pro 14 thing was mooted months ago, but doesn't seem likely.
Would throw the cat into the birdcage though.

Date: 14 May, 2019 16:32

If Cov could get a suitable and viable deal from the Pro 14 then I'd go for it. It would be great to have Welsh, Scottish and Irish teams playing cov again

Posted by: poplarside (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 17:04

Quote:
Mick J Shaw
If Cov could get a suitable and viable deal from the Pro 14 then I'd go for it. It would be great to have Welsh, Scottish and Irish teams playing cov again

It would also mean costly trips to South Africa to face Cheetahs and Kings.

Date: 14 May, 2019 17:56

Quote:
poplarside
Quote:
Mick J Shaw

It would also mean costly trips to South Africa to face Cheetahs and Kings.
Fair point plus two visit's to Italy

Posted by: tomthepom (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2019 18:51

This is the Wales Online article...

[
www.walesonline.co.uk]

It was published in January, was highly speculative at the time, and there have been no follow-up indications that it might actually happen - it was just based on a throwaway angry remark by the bloke who bankrolls Ealing. So I think it can be discounted at the moment, probably permanently. To think that Championship clubs will be flying to Italy or South Africa sounded ridiculous - because it is ridiculous!

The meeting tomorrow is a Premiership Board meeting; any decisions made would have to be ratified by the RFU Council next month

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 18:52 by tomthepom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net