Current Page: 1 of 3
Where’s Walshe?
Posted by: Nige H (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 14:46

Noticed that Walshey isn’t out there today? Anyone heard anything?
Nige

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/01/2020 08:55 by AdminBTCov.

Re: Where’s Walshe?
Posted by: CharlieBravo (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 18:02

The rumours which were gathering pace as the afternoon went on were that he was sacked on Monday “having lost the dressing room”. Please bear in mind that it was only rumours being whispered around BPA. If it’s true, is it a coincidence that it’s immediately after the awful Ampthill game?

Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 18:07

Rumours at half time were that the team had lost the game to Scottish.
Just shows how wrong we can be.

Posted by: BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 18:10

Extras have a game today? ( sorry if this is bleeding obvious - been hectic of late)

Posted by: Nige H (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 18:27

Admin.. I don’t understand your comment?

Posted by: Straightout (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 20:05

Rowland looked v unhappy after the game as did the players despite the win. There was no doubt the team were totally flat today lifted by Pete white and a better scrum second half. There def seemed something up! I thought it was purdy and stoksey leaving but if Walsh’s has gone maybe its that despite him maybe losing the dressing room if that rumour is true. We just didn’t look up for it. Whereas Scottish were massively pumped first half.. interesting times ahead. Great to get the win

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 20:56

Nick Walsh has always been prepared to speak after poor performances. Perhaps when others shy away.

I am never keen on rumours because if they are not true they undermine a persons position.

Posted by: Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 21:54

I'd heard of the game 'Where's Wally', but didn't realise there's a Cov Rugby version- 'Where's Walshy'.

If there's no news from the club this week I might play the game next weekend.

Posted by: OldNick (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 10:57

Well, the Rugby Paper has repported the alledged sacking today, and speculates that Coventry are trying to sign attack coach Lee Blackett from Wasps.
Alec Blackman from BBC Coventry & Warwickshire has tweeted that he asked Cov for a statement - to which their reply was "We don't comment on speculation",

Posted by: NOM (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 11:25

The article by Jon Newcombe would suggest his sources are pretty solid - he is one of the few Rugby Paper journalists who doesn’t seek self-publicity through idle speculation. Club comment would suggest a severance deal/statement is still being worked on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2020 19:56 by NOM .

Posted by: covglaws (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 11:34

TRP are reporting it as fact. If the club are refusing to comment, presumably, a week later, that is indeed an odd way to go on. Suggests there's more to this than meets the eye. Got to say, it seems a bit harsh after one poor game. Ok, a win at Ampthill would have put Cov second rather than fourth now, but let's be honest, second season in the Championship and fourth ain't bad. May we live in interesting times.

Date: 19 January, 2020 12:35

Surely this is getting unnecessarily silly now. What’s preventing the club from issuing a formal statement?

Posted by: OldNick (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 12:50

Quote:
CharlieBravo
Surely this is getting unnecessarily silly now. What’s preventing the club from issuing a formal statement?

As suggested sensibly above, if there is any truth in it, and contractual issues are being discussed the club would be very foolish to say anything until they are resolved.

Remember the Mike Umaga saga?

Posted by: Moosemagic (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 13:17

Quote:
covglaws
TRP are reporting it as fact. If the club are refusing to comment, presumably, a week later, that is indeed an odd way to go on. Suggests there's more to this than meets the eye. Got to say, it seems a bit harsh after one poor game. Ok, a win at Ampthill would have put Cov second rather than fourth now, but let's be honest, second season in the Championship and fourth ain't bad. May we live in interesting times.
I would suggest that this has not happened solely on the back of the Ampthill result.

Phil Reynolds

Posted by: Rob C (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 16:55

Quote:
OldNick
Well, the Rugby Paper has repported the alledged sacking today, and speculates that Coventry are trying to sign attack coach Lee Blackett from Wasps.
Alec Blackman from BBC Coventry & Warwickshire has tweeted that he asked Cov for a statement - to which their reply was "We don't comment on speculation",

Yesterday's performance at the Ricoh wasn't perhaps the best advert for Blackett's coaching skills, he may be available sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 20:52

If his contract was ending in May, maybe Nick was being tapped up, looking for or had secured a post somewhere else. If RW thought things weren't going that well with Walshe and the squad up till now then he may have pulled the plug early rather than hang on to him to the end of the season.

Posted by: covkid53 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 21:28

I think Walshe, given his as yet extended contract, he would quite rightly be looking to his future. He's only mid 40's and a young man in reality, so without some job security it could be things came to a head ? He may have heard rumours he was going to be replaced, and threw a wobbly after asking about his future, who knows ?

However, this is all speculation.

Posted by: BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 12:58

Just checking in to see if the club has confirmed that he was sacked after the Ampthill game following having lost the dressing room???? ;-)

Date: 21 January, 2020 15:42

Nothing that I can find. I appreciate that the club may be looking to sort out contractual issues, etc, but can it not confirm the simple fact so as to quell the rumours and speculation?

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2020 20:42

RW due on Rugby Show - then unavailable due to prepartions for Hartpury.

At 1800 hours at night?? Pre recorded interview??

I have always admired his honesty but Cov are ducking the issue over Walsh, when all it needed was a simple statement to put it to bed.

Someone, somewhere, in my opinion, has made the wrong call over club statements. The fans are due a performance home or away going back over several matches. Rumour and speculation is not good for the club. Current form is poor and we have seen a Christmas drop off like last year.
Hartpury is a tough game on the back of poor away performances at Ealing and Ampthill. Even the home game with Nottingham was mediocre.

In my eyes the club has made great progress in recent years. But there are still some alarming basic frailties on the pitch going back to National One days.

Problems I see:
1. Over elaborate play and not going through the phases.

2. Lack of points return from possession in tbe oppositions 22.

3. Lineout (attacking off our feed totally inconsistent).

4. Rolling maul we do not glean the points for our dominance.

5. Controlling games and seeing them out.

That is still a lot of basic rugby that needs sorting along with basic club statements.

Current Page: 1 of 3
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net