Current Page: 1 of 2
Scottish game..
Posted by: Nige H (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 15:43

Not been impressed with the Ďreactioní by the team to last weeks game in the first half! Very half hearted performance so far.. hears hoping it gets better!

Re: Scottish game..
Date: 18 January, 2020 15:46

Oh dear... and that was before their try at half time!! Grrrrr

Posted by: GetxoGreg (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 17:20

I see that we won though ... happy days .. excitiing game here ... Peebles 32 Stewarts Melville 29

Posted by: covkid53 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 17:25

I was following on twitter as is my habit, absolutely furious for 50 minutes, especially after last week's final kick debacle. Low and behold we score and convert to win 36-30. Unbelievable turnaround, one minute I'm thinking "god the wheels have fallen off" to "wow, the AA must have put them back on again" hahahaha 😂 priceless

Posted by: Rob C (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 17:33

Front row changes early in the second half and then the arrival of White and Maisey made a huge difference to a very flat performance.
I thought Jennings hitting the post with a sitter was going to cost us though...

Posted by: CharlieBravo (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 18:10

Very poor in the first half. Flat, unambitious, lacking in energy, strategy and commitment, no pace in our game. At half time the better team was leading. In the second half it was the substitutions which were the catalyst for a much more energetic and dynamic structure. The likes of Pete White (inevitably), Will Maisey, Scott Tolmie, etc gave the team so much more impetus. We started to look like a proper Championship team.

Posted by: BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 18:16

Our kickers worry me. Bad day last week, Jennings had a stinker with the boot, Maiseys takes over kicking to touch and slices it? Jennings in a scrapper in open play though, give him credit for effort

We need a full back. Dave H looks tired. Poor under the high ball. One huge hit in the opening five mins though!

Date: 18 January, 2020 18:26

Well I wasnít proved wrong, but we did play more like we should be playing for the last 30 mins, and of course got the win, which was important.

Iím still perplexed by fenner starting at 10, I believe this is bad judgement on whoever is selecting, go with maisey at 10 and Jennings at 12, I like fenner as a player, but hes definitely 3rd choice and doesnít bring anything more to the table compared to Rory and Will.
And I know this will upset some, but David Hjust hasnít earned his place in the team at all based on his performances! Iíve no idea why heís being selected as looks lazy and rarely breaks a tackle despite his size! I really feel we are picking him on his reputation alone!

Burrows was excellent again, but needed more support when he went on his runs. I thought the back row in attack today were particularly quiet, although Wallace was good in defence, and I donít remember seeing much of peters at all.

We need to be better than this and I believe we need more consistent selection! Does anyone know what Rowlands preferred starting 15 is, we canít keep rotating and rotating!!?

Date: 18 January, 2020 18:42

Same comments are cropping up in the pub, round the ground and on this forum. I'm sure RW will know what changes are needed to kick on to the next level..

Posted by: CovBlueLou (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 18:47

Weíll play better and lose for sure, Pete Whites introduction and the change in front row seemed to be the catalyst of the up surge in the final quarter!

Will take the 5 but still a long way from our best.

Posted by: NOM (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 19:21

4th in table and a 5 point win - when the dust settles on the game that is not a bad day!

No surprise the team are a little disjointed - two senior players leaving at short notice and, if Charlie Bravoís post is correct, the Head Coach too. It is also contract negotiating time and Rowland has built the squad each year so some players may also be nervous about their future. To be 4th is great progress for all that and the home record stays strong.

Posted by: Tip (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 20:08

5 point win? How? We won by 6 points not 7

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 20:14

Well done the lads for grinding it out. But sorry ,we got out of jail and didnt start performing until the second half. Not sure we deserved that win?

But a great game of rugby for the neutral. Still a lot of work to do in this league. As we found out at Ampthill last week, no game is easy in this league. At times we still play like the new boys....only 2nd season so in some ways we are.

Date: 18 January, 2020 20:16

Quote:
Tip
5 league points

Date: 18 January, 2020 20:16

Quote:
Tip
5 league points

Date: 18 January, 2020 20:18

Quote:
Tip

Bonus point win regardless of what LS scored, 5-2 in League points.

Posted by: Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 21:23

Quote:
Tip

FYI...

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Tip (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 21:50

OK I'M WRONG , thanks for the info

Posted by: CharlieBravo (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 08:07

Only a week or two ago Anthony Allen was asking for the team to be more brutal, to show brutality in their play. There was no evidence of brutality at Ampthill and neither was there any in the first half yesterday. Only after the substitutions in the second half yesterday was there any display of commitment, inventiveness, pace, brutality and a winning mentality.
I was surprised at just how much the two changes in the front row resulted - all of a sudden - in the pack being dominant and pushing LS back. Until then the pack had only just about held it own.
And the extent of the difference made when Pete White and Will Maisey replaced Tom Kessell and Tony Fenner was there for all to see. Without them, we would almost certainly have lost the game.
But I am seriously worried as to how we can continue to be poor in the first half (yesterday wasn't the first time it's happened by any means) and try to catch up and overtake in the second half by reliance on substitutions. There have been too many games where we should have been sufficiently dominant to have put the result out of reach by half time. Instead, we allow ourselves to be outplayed to the point where we are playing catch up, and there will be occasions where we can't catch up and certainly not overtake.

Posted by: PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 08:27

You all need to chill your beans. We unexpectedly lost last week, granted and the first half wasnt great yesterday (it could have been a lot worse given the lack of possession and mistakes!) but the second half proved what we can do and we were pretty ruthless. LS are a decent side, why does anyone think we can just steam roller over these established championship sides. We are 1 1/2 seasons in, a little patience and realism is probably required.

Just a note on consistency... difficult to achieve when players move on or get injured. Additionally, we have a squad of players too so that we are able to swap and change depending on opposition, surface, game plan etc.

All views expressed in this post, are my own

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net