Current Page: 1 of 2
New Ground
Posted by: Leo (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2020 14:05

Is it viable, a possibility even, for The Blue n' Whites & The Sky Blues to invest & develop a stadium accommodating both rugby and footy. A permanent home in Coventry, meeting premiership standard, in both codes ?
Could we justify a 20,000 + all seater stadium with both Coventry teams playing in the top flight?
Imagine................Liverpool FC one week then Exeter Chiefs the next ! ...............is there any serious dosh around in our City of Culture ???

Re: New Ground
Posted by: Moosemagic (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2020 14:11

After just investing £1 million in an artificial pitch (which football cant use) along with the fact that plans have been submitted to develop the BPA and the fact that the Chairman has stated he will not get into bed with sisu, along with another myriad of contracts with other sporting bodies, I find it highly unlikely, dont you?

Phil Reynolds

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2020 14:15

No chance. Coventry Rugby can manage themselves, the problems the owners of Coventry City have created are their problems not ours.

Posted by: Leo (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2020 14:33

Ah well, just a thought, to many obstacles, egos and politics. We will remain at 3rd/ 2nd levels while those with a positive will , foresight and ambition leap over those embroiled in the past and fearful of the future.

Where's Derrick Robins when you need him !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/01/2020 14:37 by Leo.

Posted by: Rob C (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2020 14:43

Taking a less defensive note Leo I think the plan to create a stadium alongside CCFC has been looked into but the SISU problem was just too big a hurdle.

Posted by: OldNick (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2020 16:24

Quote:
Leo
Ah well, just a thought, to many obstacles, egos and politics. We will remain at 3rd/ 2nd levels while those with a positive will , foresight and ambition leap over those embroiled in the past and fearful of the future.

The clubs that spend least on facilities, and most on running teams as subsidiaries of existing premiership businesses are the ones progressing through the leagues.

Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2020 16:34

Quote:
Leo
Long dead, sadly, along with Banbury Buildings.
Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see the like of him again.

Date: 29 January, 2020 21:20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/01/2020 21:24 by HoboAl.

Date: 29 January, 2020 21:22

Quote:
Leo

Sorry it all sounds a bit pie in sky to me, while Cov Rugby have at least some meat, potato and gravy in their diet...even if we are dinning pub grub compared to A la Carte. .

Posted by: covkid53 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2020 22:04

Quote:
Leo
Is it viable, a possibility even, for The Blue n' Whites & The Sky Blues to invest & develop a stadium accommodating both rugby and footy. A permanent home in Coventry, meeting premiership standard, in both codes ?
Could we justify a 20,000 + all seater stadium with both Coventry teams playing in the top flight?
Imagine................Liverpool FC one week then Exeter Chiefs the next ! ...............is there any serious dosh around in our City of Culture ???

I would not think it viable for two reasons, the pitch wont suit rugby and football 4G or otherwise.The current CCFC ownership cannot be trusted. Finally, a 20k stadium is too big for rugby. Premiership rugby is on its uppers and not worthy of a risky capital venture.

Posted by: BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2020 14:30

Sky blues shop at the Ricoh has been shut all week as they’ve not been paying the rent...

Date: 30 January, 2020 14:43

Quote:
BackTenRef?
Sky blues shop at the Ricoh has been shut all week as they’ve not been paying the rent...

It won't be their fault.

Posted by: telly1 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2020 17:09

Pointless having this conversation, Cov have net liabilities of£806,000. If called in Can we pay it?
Who would want to be our partner.
Sky blues are flying high and congrats for that.
SISU will prosper as huge recourses.
If Jon Sharpe, gets investor fatigue Cov are finished

Posted by: Egg Timer (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2020 17:37

Quote:
telly1
Pointless having this conversation, Cov have net liabilities of£806,000. If called in Can we pay it?

A regular ray of sunshine you are T1.

Posted by: Moosemagic (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2020 21:22

+1

Posted by: CharlieBravo (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 14:11

+2

Date: 31 January, 2020 18:49

Quote:
telly1

Like every sporting enterprise. What are our assets out of interest?

Posted by: Cov_InPeace (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 21:47

Quote:
BackTenRef?

Erm... I don't think they've got a club shop at the Ricoh. Haven't had since Wasps arrived and took it for themselves. I stand to be corrected, but are you sure you've got that right , BTR?

Date: 31 January, 2020 22:17

Quote:
Cov_InPeace
Quote:
BackTenRef?

Erm... I don't think they've got a club shop at the Ricoh. Haven't had since Wasps arrived and took it for themselves. I stand to be corrected, but are you sure you've got that right , BTR?

In the Tesco's part of the Ricoh shopping experience. Quatlity of the stuff on sale is exceptionally poor. Horrible stick on transfers for club badge.

Posted by: titchywinger (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 22:50

With regard to Leo's original post, I certainly hope that Cov and the Sky Blues never get into bed as it were. Looking at past days. During the 60's and 70's when the Sky Blues were on the charge under Jimmy Hill, the crowds flocked to Highfield Road. Crowds were somewhere between 20,000 and 35,000 regularly.

In that era, Cov rugby were among the best half dozen clubs in the British Isles. What was their average attendance though? 5,6 or 7 thousand?

In Coventry, football is King.

Times have changed of course and now The Sky Blues have fallen through the divisions and no longer have a ground. Cov also declined and nearly went bust.

Thankfully both teams are still with us and Cov are certainly on an upward trajectory. Even so, should Cov win the Championship and get to the Premiership what would the average crowd be? 8,9,10 thousand? and that's if they are winning. If they are losing, maybe 3,000. That crowd in a 20,000 stadium would be like a morgue ( I went to Leeds Carnegie last year. ) The Sky Blues have their own problems, but I for one look forward to seeing The Butts Park arena developed further.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net