Current Page: 1 of 2
Funding debacle....how as supporters do we show support
Posted by: bigm/ mark harrison. (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 18:46

As this disgraceful mess carries on, as a life long supporter of our game and my rugby club, Coventry. Moving forward how do we show our support other than attending games and our total disdain towards the rfu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/02/2020 18:46 by bigm/ mark harrison..

Re: Funding debacle....how as supporters do we show support
Posted by: Pilsbury1005 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 19:26

I for one will not attend any future Premiership games and I will not support the RFU in any way. There must be some way that supporters can affect RFU sponsorship? At a previous Fans Forum I seem to recall Toby telling the supporters that the Club got nothing from the Guinness sales at the club and that all monies went to the RFU. If this is correct would Championship supporters boycott the purchase of Guinness, and how would Guinness feel about this!

Posted by: Geoff DC (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 20:07

Petition Started By Russ Strick RFU Board Should Be Replaced

We, the undersigned supporters of rugby union throughout England do hereby charge the Governing Board of the Rugby Football Union with the wilful neglect of our sport at all levels other than the National Teams and Premiership league.

Specifically, the Governing Board has;
Failed to properly promote the sport at anything other than the National Teams and Premiership league levels
Failed to secure appropriate and widespread television broadcasting rights agreements for the Championship and National leagues
Failed to introduce a cup competition that would involve rugby at many levels and generate wider interest
Failed to defend the spirit of sportsmanship by safeguarding the basic principles of promotion and relegation according to merit on the pitch.

The recent action of the Rugby Football Union Governing Board in reducing the level of financial investment in the Championship in the face of such failings constitutes gross misconduct, an abuse of position and such a betrayal of trust that we now demand the immediate resignation of all members of the Governing Board.

Sign It Here >>

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 10:25

Well I can't see match prices staying the same next season. So perhaps start saving for that now rather moan about it when announced.

Support the club with games like the army game which can be viewed as potential extra money or a potential extra loss if not supported.

Without repeating another post elsewhere an extra 1,515 at each of the 11 home games is required at £15 per head for £250,000. So getting it back by increased attendances alone would be a huge ask.

Everyone needs to sign that petition and publicise its existence.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2020 10:33 by HoboAl.

Posted by: Rob C (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 10:46

Maybe the club could produce a Facebook post we can share entreating people to come back to the spiritual home of rugby in Coventry. I have a few friends who now support Wasps who I'd gladly share it with.
I did a link to the Twitter post on my Facebook page but not everyone uses Twitter.

Posted by: Bono546 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 12:08

What a great opportunity for Sky or someone similar to come in and set up a league in opposition to the premiership. Would be a cheap way for them to have great Rugby coverage.
They could provide sky sports subscription in all season tickets and allow the clubs to retain the revenue ..... just a thought

Posted by: Coventrian Man (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 13:11

You need to deduct vat taking that down to circa £208k unfortunately

Posted by: Egg Timer (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 14:23

So who can voice these concerns to (that we think would be properly represented)? Who are the Warks Council RFU members through whom we could/should/will make representation (and do we trust them to represent our interests as opposed to their own?

Date: 14 February, 2020 15:12

I'm not being defeatest but Championship clubs are miniscule fry to the RFU, just look at attendance figures across the league - I'm sure they have.

Less than 600 people have signed the petition...they'll hardly be quaking in their boots.

Posted by: Moosemagic (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 15:51

Be interesting to see if there are any protests from the Pirates fans during the televised game on Sunday.
I am quite sure that Falcons fans will keep schtum.

Phil Reynolds

Date: 14 February, 2020 16:42

Quote:
Rob C
I'm not being defeatest but Championship clubs are miniscule fry to the RFU, just look at attendance figures across the league - I'm sure they have.
Less than 600 people have signed the petition...they'll hardly be quaking in their boots.

That is why the whole rugby community needs to get on board. It is not just about the Championship. It is about jobs in rugby. Player opportunities and pathways in the future. Even Premiership players should be concerned....they won't always be at that level. A strong Championship is essential to allow fulltime rugby outside the Premiership.

Date: 15 February, 2020 10:11

Quote:
HoboAl
Quote:
Rob C

That is why the whole rugby community needs to get on board. It is not just about the Championship. It is about jobs in rugby. Player opportunities and pathways in the future. Even Premiership players should be concerned....they won't always be at that level. A strong Championship is essential to allow fulltime rugby outside the Premiership.

Couldn't agree more but I doubt anyone involved with the Premiership will bite the hand that currently feeds them. 'I'm alright Jack'...

Date: 15 February, 2020 11:03

Rob C that has already been displayed by the attitude of some Prem fans (not all though).

Date: 15 February, 2020 12:52

Quote:
HoboAl
Rob C that has already been displayed by the attitude of some Prem fans (not all though).

Just looking on the Wasps forum, there's twice as much interest in Allianz dropping Saracens as there is in the Championship funding cuts.

Posted by: Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
Date: 15 February, 2020 12:58

While some Prem fans will have some sympathy, most will be thankful that they are where they are and not where we are. Perhaps if the club can grow enough over the next few years then maybe we will be able to join the Franchise League, as it will effectively be from next season.

Date: 15 February, 2020 19:11

Quote:
Wazeroonie
While some Prem fans will have some sympathy, most will be thankful that they are where they are and not where we are. Perhaps if the club can grow enough over the next few years then maybe we will be able to join the Franchise League, as it will effectively be from next season.

The RFU are trying their best to prevent any Championship club from growing, in fact it is trying to put some in financial difficulties by implementing drastic funding cuts without warning.

Posted by: telly1 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 22:29

A good and effective way to show our support would be for each fan attending matches at BPV pay a ticket surcharge of £10, per match.
EG, say 2000 fans =£20k per match x12 matches a season=£240k income per season.
Result, loss of income made up and a great example to the RFU that COV fans are true blues and will not be beaten.
Mike Shaw could be good at monitoring this fund.
A true blue if ever.
Possibly Cov kid as well

Posted by: bigm/ mark harrison. (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 07:52

Who holds the bond following the Andrew green debacle.

Posted by: OldNick (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 10:47

Quote:
bigm/ mark harrison.
Who holds the bond following the Andrew green debacle.

I donít remember a firm statement at the time as to the life of the bond, but I very strongly suspect the answer is no one, the bond having been repaid and long since spent by the club.

Posted by: Mick J Shaw (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 15:25

Quote:
telly1
A good and effective way to show our support would be for each fan attending matches at BPV pay a ticket surcharge of £10, per match.
EG, say 2000 fans =£20k per match x12 matches a season=£240k income per season.
Result, loss of income made up and a great example to the RFU that COV fans are true blues and will not be beaten.
Mike Shaw could be good at monitoring this fund.
A true blue if ever.
Possibly Cov kid as well
Whatever I'm being volanteered for I'll do,Cov fan for 52 years,born in Edmund Road

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net