Current Page: 1 of 2
which rules would you change.
Posted by: bigm/ mark harrison. (IP Logged)
Date: 01 March, 2020 11:19

Given the opportunity, i would make all line outs 3 man only , making it a lot clearer to see any wrong doing and forcing coaches to be far more inventive at the line out. Being offside at kick offs would be taken off the law books, as no one enforces it anyway. There should be a specific number laid down for resetting scrums, not just down to the referees discretion before a penalty is given,. With no option to reset a scrum and possibly get an opposition yellow card. Driving mauls..how can it be ok than you can have 4 or 5 rows of players between you and the ball, yet if one player of the same team is front of the other and prevents a tackle nothing is done quite often. Doesnt add up. I dont have an issue with drive from set scrum........Anyway just something to think about or discuss

Re: which rules would you change.
Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 01 March, 2020 12:16

Advantage rule.
I would make it four passes in which the team can claim the original offence by calling mark or keep playing. After four passes advantange over and if they don't get an advantage tough.

At the moment teams can have a long passage of play, sometimes with several scoring attempts. Then it goes back across the field for them to have another go. It is giving teams two bites of the cherry.

Posted by: Egg Timer (IP Logged)
Date: 01 March, 2020 12:28

Hmm. Advantage is pretty much the only thing that it up to the referee's discretion, and he is the only one who can determine if it's been gained, either territorially or tactically, or not. The offence that has caused advantage to be played makes a difference as well, as does field position.

Posted by: Peter Redhead (IP Logged)
Date: 01 March, 2020 14:06

Changes to the “Clear out” would be the area for law changes I would like to see. There is more possibility from head injuries here than many so called high tackles.

Posted by: PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
Date: 01 March, 2020 19:58

Quote:
bigm/ mark harrison.
Given the opportunity, i would make all line outs 3 man only

Mine would also be line outs where I would outlaw the swapping of positions, dancing around before the ball is thrown in.

Closely followed by advantage: not really sure how to fix it however but it really goes on for too long.

Followed by time off once lineout, scrum, kick to posts is signalled. Time on when possession is won.

Followed by free kick for holding up play (walking to line out although wouldn't be an issue if above was sorted).

All views expressed in this post, are my own

Posted by: diverkevod (IP Logged)
Date: 02 March, 2020 17:40

The tackle.... make it compulsory to tackle BELOW the waistline. This would cut out many more 'big hits' and hence injuries. It would allow the tackler to offload more easily and keep the game flowing. It would make the game faster and reduce the need for size and bulk. If the player being tackled ducks if would mean the tackler must be careful not to strike the head of the player being tackled. I was taught that 'he can't run without his legs'. TRUE. Back to basics would solve a lot of problems rather than fiddling with minor rule changes to the lineout and scrum!

Posted by: Tip (JJ Teeling) (IP Logged)
Date: 02 March, 2020 20:20

I would like to see passing off the ground stopped, once you've hit the floor, let go of the ball and roll away or at least don't interfere with play.
At the moment a player can pass off the floor, after holding on to the ball after 5/10secs waiting for support.
I think that after hitting the floor let go of the ball and let the first supporting player, from either side, be able to pick up the ball.

Posted by: bigm/ mark harrison. (IP Logged)
Date: 03 March, 2020 07:28

How can we all forget the banning of AGMs on the way to lineouts. This has now become farcical. The team's should get one warning and then some form of discipline delivered.

Date: 03 March, 2020 07:52

For me, the breakdown is key to all this, especially rucks and mauls.

Players not involved as the tackler or the ball carrier in a ruck should ALL be on their feet at all times;

If a player in a maul goes to the "wrong" side, regardless of whether he's changed his bind or not, he must retire to his own side's back foot before re-joining the maul;

A forward pass is any occasion where the player catching the ball does so in front of where the ball was released. End of.

Enforce the laws around time taken to form a lineout.

Clear those little dandies up and we'd have a game!

Posted by: OldNick (IP Logged)
Date: 03 March, 2020 08:26

One very simple change at the ruck. Prevent the 5 player chain to the scrum half by only slowing players to bind directly on to the original two players on either side.

Posted by: poplarside (IP Logged)
Date: 03 March, 2020 09:41

Would like to see fewer replacements permitted during the game (Front-row excepted). Not proposing we go back to just two who only come on if a Doctor says so but the amount of subs these days really slows down a game and it often loses shape. Was at a game abroad recently where the ref muttered to the bench asking why they had to change one at time (!)

Posted by: Rob C (IP Logged)
Date: 03 March, 2020 10:44

The breakdown is something that World Rugby is looking to improve and make safer...

[www.the42.ie]

Date: 03 March, 2020 12:34

Quote:
Egg Timer
Hmm. Advantage is pretty much the only thing that it up to the referee's discretion, and he is the only one who can determine if it's been gained, either territorially or tactically, or not. The offence that has caused advantage to be played makes a difference as well, as does field position.

Yes but once play continues you have had the advatage, it is up to the team to make the most of it. If the advatage wasnt there to expliot then the ref shouldnt have played it.

Date: 03 March, 2020 13:10

Quote:
HoboAl
Yes but once play continues once you have had the advantage, it is up to the team to make the most of it. If the advantage wasnt there to expliot then the ref shouldnt have played it.

Quite correct, and I can't think of a time when advantage has been played when it shouldn't.

Date: 03 March, 2020 19:56

Quote:
Egg Timer
Quote:
HoboAl
Yes but once play continues once you have had the advantage, it is up to the team to make the most of it. If the advantage wasnt there to expliot then the ref shouldnt have played it.

Quite correct, and I can't think of a time when advantage has been played when it shouldn't.

But how long should advatage last? I have seen 6 passages of play wirh six atempts at a try and on the other hand four passes on the edge of a 22 ( which went backwards).

The rule as stands is a lottery in the refs head.

Posted by: timdouglas1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2020 06:44

Maybe 30 seconds maximum time to form and set a scrum, with failure to do so resulting in a penalty against any team who tries to run the clock down? Just a thought. Oh, and do some players really need 90 seconds for the kicker to take a penalty in front of the posts? Sometimes, I think the referee could give the player a "Get on with it mate" if he feels he is taking the proverbial

Posted by: CovBlueLou (IP Logged)
Date: 04 March, 2020 08:44

Quote:
timdouglas1
Maybe 30 seconds maximum time to form and set a scrum, with failure to do so resulting in a penalty against any team who tries to run the clock down? Just a thought. Oh, and do some players really need 90 seconds for the kicker to take a penalty in front of the posts? Sometimes, I think the referee could give the player a "Get on with it mate" if he feels he is taking the proverbial

Agree with re the scrums, clock should stop until the ball is released by the 9, if it collapses time off etc.

Goal kicking 90 seconds drives me mad way too long 45 seconds 60 max.

Also if the clock ticks over into the red within this kicking time, I’d have it that the game has to kick off again (no real reason just to add a bit of excitement to close games).

Date: 04 March, 2020 08:49

With reference to breakdown, perhaps restrict how many can get involved. The ball carrier and tackler should be pretty passive once tackle is called. Then I would suggest only allow two from each side.

Date: 04 March, 2020 14:22

Quote:
HoboAl
With reference to breakdown, perhaps restrict how many can get involved. The ball carrier and tackler should be pretty passive once tackle is called. Then I would suggest only allow two from each side.

That *does* relay on players being able to count and react in a fraction of time, so unlikely to happen.

WRT your earlier question about how long does advantage last, I think I said already,but it’s until the referee decides it is. Longer advantage is played for penalties than for scrums and only until advantage has been gained, or not. The opportunity to gain advantage doesn’t count.

HTH

Date: 04 March, 2020 21:31

Quote:
Egg Timer
Quote:
HoboAl

That *does* relay on players being able to count and react in a fraction of time, so unlikely to happen.

WRT your earlier question about how long does advantage last, I think I said already,but it’s until the referee decides it is. Longer advantage is played for penalties than for scrums and only until advantage has been gained, or not. The opportunity to gain advantage doesn’t count.

HTH

I still dont see why a team given advantage can have several attempts at scoring a try then when they cock it up get another chance to repeat the attempts. Especially when scoring a try wasnt guaranteed in the first place.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net