Current Page: 1 of 3
RW Q&A
Posted by: PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
Date: 04 May, 2020 18:58

I see there will be a pre-recorded Q&A with RW later this week. Questions are being taken on Facebook.

All views expressed in this post, are my own

Re: RW Q&A
Posted by: John Butler (IP Logged)
Date: 05 May, 2020 09:43

For those choosing not to be on Facebook ?

Date: 05 May, 2020 13:19

Errmmm. Not sure.

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 05 May, 2020 14:20

Quote:
John Butler
For those choosing not to be on Facebook ?

You might still be able to view it if the club put up a link?

Posted by: CharlieBravo (IP Logged)
Date: 05 May, 2020 16:40

It needs to be accepted that not everyone is on any of the social media options, so to ignore supporters who would very much appreciate RW’s appearance is a very unfortunate restriction. I fail to understand why the club website is not the main source of information and communication. To blatantly not use it for such things begs the question - “why have it?”

Posted by: Maxee (IP Logged)
Date: 05 May, 2020 22:42

The reach and efficiency of Facebook are undeniable. You are unfortunately likely in the minority if you don’t use it. It could argued it’s much more accessible than local radio, for example.

Good News... If a live stream is from a public Facebook page, you can watch it without a Facebook profile (or without logging in). So hopefully it should be pretty straightforward.

Posted by: Tip (JJ Teeling) (IP Logged)
Date: 06 May, 2020 15:23

Any chance of a link on here?

Posted by: Geoff Kennedy (IP Logged)
Date: 06 May, 2020 16:37

May I repeat Tip's request for a link. Some of us are not too tech savy, but do care deeply about Coventry Rugby

Posted by: Kimbo (IP Logged)
Date: 06 May, 2020 17:31

No idea where the actual interview will be available from, but the article asking for questions is here - [www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Charlie1970 (IP Logged)
Date: 06 May, 2020 19:27

Seconded

Posted by: CharlieBravo (IP Logged)
Date: 06 May, 2020 20:11

The very fact that this Q&A session was announced on social media is in itself restrictive. Those of us not on social media would, had it not been for Paul’s message on this Board, have missed it. I would ask the communications boffins at Cov Rugby to accept that communications to supporters needs to be made available at all levels. Is that too much to ask?

Posted by: Chris Wearmouth (IP Logged)
Date: 07 May, 2020 11:16

Quote:
CharlieBravo
It needs to be accepted that not everyone is on any of the social media options, so to ignore supporters who would very much appreciate RW’s appearance is a very unfortunate restriction. I fail to understand why the club website is not the main source of information and communication. To blatantly not use it for such things begs the question - “why have it?”

And...

Quote:
CharlieBravo
The very fact that this Q&A session was announced on social media is in itself restrictive. Those of us not on social media would, had it not been for Paul’s message on this Board, have missed it. I would ask the communications boffins at Cov Rugby to accept that communications to supporters needs to be made available at all levels. Is that too much to ask?

A few things to answer on this!

1) By its nature Facebook is the simplest way to gather questions on this and to hit the biggest audience. It's also straightforward to upload the final video; once it is up we can take a code from it to include it in a story on the website (which we'd have to do were we to put the video on YouTube) as at the moment we can't just put video straight onto the website
2) Much as I respect the experience and knowledge of the club and the sport of everyone who posts on this site, the number of individual people who come onto this site is fewer than other social media channels (by the way, I include forums as 'social media', as is anything which has people coming to the same place online to discuss things). However, I do spend more time on here explaining our decisions and rationale than I would on any other site, as I would do in-person at the club
3) As far as the website being the main source of news and information, at the moment I have to use my intuition and years of experience from other clubs and sports organisations in making the call that Facebook has a higher audience and reach than the website. This is also compounded by the website not having had any audience analytics built into it so I can't see how many people are actually using it! This is changing though as I'm getting the website support company on the case right now

By the way, don't take our relative lack of action on the public communications front to think that we've not been busy recently. There's a new online shop coming, sponsorship negotiations underway, and planning for the future, all of which is happening with the vast majority of staff on furlough.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy and that you've got the ability to boost your vitamin D intake with the sun!

Date: 07 May, 2020 12:58

Thanks for the explanations Chris. I feel for you as there is no sure fire way of getting messages out to everyone, even in this technologically advanced world.

Date: 07 May, 2020 14:11

Royal Mail.

Posted by: rustyroof (IP Logged)
Date: 07 May, 2020 15:47

Quote:
Chris Wearmouth
Quote:
CharlieBravo

And...

Quote:
CharlieBravo

A few things to answer on this!

1) By its nature Facebook is the simplest way to gather questions on this and to hit the biggest audience. It's also straightforward to upload the final video; once it is up we can take a code from it to include it in a story on the website (which we'd have to do were we to put the video on YouTube) as at the moment we can't just put video straight onto the website
2) Much as I respect the experience and knowledge of the club and the sport of everyone who posts on this site, the number of individual people who come onto this site is fewer than other social media channels (by the way, I include forums as 'social media', as is anything which has people coming to the same place online to discuss things). However, I do spend more time on here explaining our decisions and rationale than I would on any other site, as I would do in-person at the club
3) As far as the website being the main source of news and information, at the moment I have to use my intuition and years of experience from other clubs and sports organisations in making the call that Facebook has a higher audience and reach than the website. This is also compounded by the website not having had any audience analytics built into it so I can't see how many people are actually using it! This is changing though as I'm getting the website support company on the case right now

By the way, don't take our relative lack of action on the public communications front to think that we've not been busy recently. There's a new online shop coming, sponsorship negotiations underway, and planning for the future, all of which is happening with the vast majority of staff on furlough.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy and that you've got the ability to boost your vitamin D intake with the sun!

I would estimate that roughly around 450 use the forum (based on the number of views a single post thread sometimes gets). Is there a figure for regular individual users of Cov's Facebook as a comparison ?

Posted by: Moosemagic (IP Logged)
Date: 07 May, 2020 16:50

Quote:
rustyroof

I would estimate that roughly around 450 use the forum (based on the number of views a single post thread sometimes gets). Is there a figure for regular individual users of Cov's Facebook as a comparison ?

I think that is a massively optimistic number, have you taken into account that the same people will read the same threads etc. (while i am writing this there are 5 people on the forum)

If you look at the Crowd funder, from an average gate in excess of 2000 there have been 260 people donating, some of these more than once and others who do not even go to the games so to suggest that this forum has 450 regular viewers is i think over egging the pudding.

However Site admin should be able to tell us.

Phil Reynolds

Date: 07 May, 2020 16:58

I doubt many people go back to re-read the same single post they have already read. That was the point of using single post threads as a measure of people who visit the site.
Also current level of activity isn't a true reflection.

Date: 07 May, 2020 17:13

Quote:
PaulRossborough
Royal Mail.

There is a cost while email, twitter, facebook are free. I am sure the club hasn't got everyones address? No guarantee peoplle would read a letter or flyer sent to them either.

Not everyone listens to the rugby show, only a small percetage attend the live Q and A sessions anyway. For a relatively small national sports club the fans are pretty well served in my opinion via various media forms.

But the club can"t do everything; there has to be some effort by the fanbase.

Date: 07 May, 2020 17:21

Quote:
HoboAl
Quote:
PaulRossborough
Royal Mail.

There is a cost while email, twitter, facebook are free. I am sure the club hasn't got everyones address? No guarantee peoplle would read a letter or flyer sent to them either.

Not everyone listens to the rugby show, only a small percetage attend the live Q and A sessions anyway. For a relatively small national sports club the fans are pretty well served in my opinion via various media forms.

But the club can"t do everything; there has to be some effort by the fanbase.
I don't think he was being serious.

Date: 07 May, 2020 18:02

The other condideration is the club has to try and reach new people and not just existing fans. Which is why facebook has more potential than a fams forum or a club website.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net