Luke Wallace to Tigers
Posted by: DMBCRFC (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 11:15

I see Luke has signed for Leicester Tigers and their fans seem over the moon about it on other sites, wow how the mighty have fallen.

I wish Luke all the best at his new club but personally I don't think he was as good as he promised last season, for me he was off pace and behind the play a lot, not what I would expect from a flanker, I am more disappointed to see Jack Ram go but due to age and injuries I understand.

Tigers seem to really be cutting their cloth accordingly, be interesting to seem who comes down next year.

Re: Luke Wallace to Tigers
Posted by: Mick J Shaw (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 11:56

Good luck to Luke at tigers he is a Premiership quality player and I wish him well

Posted by: CovBlueLou (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 12:09

I wish him all the best.
I suspect we didn’t see him anywhere near his best here and he probably wouldn’t have made my starting XV for the season but he’ll no doubt put in performances for the Tigers that’ll have people saying “he didn’t do that for us” often happens in many sports players dropping down a level and not producing to the levels maybe expected but step back up to a higher level.

Posted by: Rob C (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 12:23

I would have expected a player of Luke's experience to be an absolute stand out at Championship level yet he never really made the impact I had hoped for.

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 12:51

The thing is I think Luke did a lot of stuff that doesn't get recognition or picked up easily. I thought he was good in the lineout and very good over the ball at the break down.

I wish him well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/07/2020 12:54 by HoboAl.

Posted by: Tom Jordan (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 12:52

It is funny how when some players leave people say he was not that good. Now I am pretty sure he would himself admit he is not quite the player he was when he was on the verge of England honours but serious injury does that to you. He was also not the sort of player who would catch the eye with a huge carry or bone shuddering tackle but if you watched Luke closely his work rate both in and out of possession was exemplary. If he made a tackle the speed in which he regained his feet and got back into line was probably second to none and his work in either slowing down or stealing oppositon ball was also very good. We may not have seen the very best of him but I personally thought his contribution was good and I am happy he has got another shot at the Premiership.

Posted by: CharlieBravo (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 12:58

I too rated him considerably. He was a very good player whilst he was with us and clearly a leader by example on the field. I regret his moving on, as I do with so many of those who have left the club. I wish him well. He will be our loss and Tigers' gain.

Posted by: Rob C (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 13:02

I certainly wouldn't doubt his work rate, or suggest that he wasn't 'that good'. I had perhaps hoped though that he'd give us the edge at the breakdown - it being accepted as a bit of a weak area.

Good luck to him all the same.

Posted by: DMBCRFC (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 13:05

[quote Tom Jordan]It is funny how when some players leave people say he was not that good.

Yes it is funny, also as funny how we say we will miss players too when you regard them of putting the effort in such as Jack Ram, it's called opinion and I wasn't impressed with Luke during the season.

Posted by: Tom Jordan (IP Logged)
Date: 21 July, 2020 13:54

it's called opinion and I wasn't impressed with Luke during the season.

Yes it is called opinions, you gave yours which in my opinion did him a bit of a disservice to, so I gave mine in his defence, not that he needs it after he has the Prem contract now. We don't have to agree afterall what is they say about opinions......

Posted by: zinzanh (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 17:49

I have been an admirer of Luke for a good while and still am. I agree with the positive comments on his performance the bloke is dynamic. Don't quite understand what some people saw or maybe imagined his role should be. Wish him all the best at Tigers and thank him for the hard graft while here at Cov, cheers Luke.

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 21:49

Quote:
zinzanh
I have been an admirer of Luke for a good while and still am. I agree with the positive comments on his performance the bloke is dynamic. Don't quite understand what some people saw or maybe imagined his role should be. Wish him all the best at Tigers and thank him for the hard graft while here at Cov, cheers Luke.

He is so quick and athletic and his defensive positional play is very good. A lot of fans judge players on attack rather than defence.

Perhaps the biggest thing that coloured some fans judgement was he wasn't an every week player - Burrows was! But several fans wrote Burrows off for his performance for Doncaster against us; how wrong were they?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net