Current Page: 1 of 3
New Championship format agreed by clubs update from Jon Sharp
Posted by: Moosemagic (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 12:36

[b][/b]https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/championship-revamp-premiership-promotion-relegation-change-edward-griffiths-560272

Following on from the article in the Rugby Paper on Sunday and the Championship meeting yesterday.

Phil Reynolds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 13:09 by Moosemagic.

Re: New Championship format agreed by clubs
Posted by: Mick J Shaw (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2020 13:13

I'm looking forward to it should be good. The only thing for me if it's going to be a 16 team division then play everyone twice then have your play offs rather than have 2 conferences

Posted by: bigm/ mark harrison. (IP Logged)
Date: 25 July, 2020 09:00

At least no stupid chuffing cup

Posted by: JB57 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 17:46

The proposal as reported in RugbyPass fills me with horror.

[www.rugbypass.com]

I don't want to watch a "team" of emerging players, most of whom will disappear after one or two seasons. I want to watch the development of my club - I want to care passionately at the end of every game/season as to whether we win or lose, not some trial matches.

I want a league which retains both it's sporting integrity and the identities of it's clubs, which may well be part time.

Posted by: Kimbo (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 17:53

As I said on Rolling Maul earlier; if this comes to pass, I've bought my last season ticket.

Posted by: CovBlueLou (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 21:18

Wow, that is an absolutely awful proposal.

As mentioned above every Cov game is literally a trial game for the players (I know players get picked off now) , it would make the the league so hollow.

Producing players so they can be taken by the prem in a draft!? Hmm shocking, good luck to anyone trying to defend this idea! Certainly wonít grow any championship club or fan base.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/07/2020 21:19 by CovBlueLou.

Posted by: rustyroof (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 22:08

Sounds like something Cov might be interested in unfortunately due to the financial crisis.
Who decides which academy players go where? Do championship clubs have to take what they're given?
A minimum number of academy players must be selected each week ?
I can see quite a number of players in their early twenties looking elsewhere for a career as their professional rugby career prospects narrow.

Posted by: BackTenRef? (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 07:40

Overall not a fan of this.

Some positives, womenís championship, dedicated funding for championship players wages and regulation of phantom jobs meaning all teams are at least semi pro. Addresses the issue of failing prem academies. However the current issue with the prem academies is that 16year olds are signed up for £40k and arenít allowed to play matches. ( mate at work has a son in one), thatís not the championships fault.

The NCAA/NFL system works because the college teams (120 of them in div 1) have captive campus crowds and alumni but arenít allowed to pay players ( other than providing an education) so have huge incomes but little overhead in terms of payroll. The key for championship clubs is crowds. Playing midweek wonít help. No promotion or relegation wonít help. Having 3-5 allocated development players is neither here nor there IF weíre allowed to pick the side on merit.

Date: 01 August, 2020 12:03

One aspect of this which I think is a positive regarding academy player provision is that with the academies becoming separated from prem clubs, the prospect of champ clubs becoming essentially dev teams for a particular prem club is reduced.

Posted by: covmick1/Michael Carter (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 12:42

Quote:
Kimbo
As I said on Rolling Maul earlier; if this comes to pass, I've bought my last season ticket.
I can understand your frustration with this proposal . To me this is very close to become a colts/ A league disguise division. All the hard work in setting up things to improve the club. Makes you think is it worth it.

covmick/Michael Carter

Posted by: Rob C (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 12:49

Dare I say it... National League One is starting to look very inviting.

Posted by: Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 22:02

Oh dear. I'd love to be proved wrong, but this seems like a disaster waiting to happen for the Championship. A league designed to benefit the Premiership, while also helping them strengthen their position by keeping all the Championship clubs ratcheted under the RFU's thumb with no chance of ever growing into anything like a Premiership standard club. I know that was not too likely under the current set up, the RFU's troubles and Covid has changed the landscape, but still. No dreams allowed.
Coventry playing in a "nursery" league will do very little to entice people along to watch, would it be as well for them to go and watch Broadstreet, Old Coventrians or Barkers Butts? Wasps also will benefit.
Quoting £12 million for the TV rights, then possibly £10-12 million "once established" also seems like a crock to me. Only mentioning "sports streaming companies and YouTube" smacks to me of the fact that they probably think that established broadcasters wouldn't be daft enough to pony up that kind of dough.

Posted by: Wazeroonie (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 22:40

[quote rustyroof]One aspect of this which I think is a positive regarding academy player provision is that with the academies becoming separated from prem clubs, the prospect of champ clubs becoming essentially dev teams for a particular prem club is reduced.[/quote

The Champ clubs would all be development teams for all the Prem teams. I don't see that as any more positive really. But as I have said I'd love to be proved wrong in the long run.

Posted by: Kimbo (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 00:14

Yes, W*sps will benefit (should they still be around. Hopefully they'll have moved to Darlington by then though. Or the Alexandra Stadium. Or Baghdad).
As for me, if the club sign up to this sh*tshow, I'll be taking in occasional Hinckley and Bears games and very little else.

Date: 02 August, 2020 01:34

[quote Wazeroonie][quote rustyroof]One aspect of this which I think is a positive regarding academy player provision is that with the academies becoming separated from prem clubs, the prospect of champ clubs becoming essentially dev teams for a particular prem club is reduced.[/quote

The Champ clubs would all be development teams for all the Prem teams. I don't see that as any more positive really. But as I have said I'd love to be proved wrong in the long run.[/quote]
It's positive in the sense that the championship club can retain its identity as an independent club rather than having it subsumed by the nearby prem outfit. It's not ideal, but I'm not totally against the idea of having a Midlands academy (based at Warwick uni say!!) for the local talent, some of whom then start their career at Cov. Some of them might not quite make the next step up and could stay at Cov. This is if I'm understanding the mechanics of the proposal correctly.

Posted by: Butts121 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 07:37

And as for Thursday & Friday fixtures, I'll give the season ticket a miss. Had enough of the Friday games last season.

It's an awful idea, I want to watch the best side Cov can put out, regardless of age, not a bunch of kids whose professional rugby careers end once they're 25.

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 10:34

This is not about improving the Championship. It is about improving things for the Premiership. Reducing their responsibilities for their own Academies and creating regional centres.

Ex Saracens man devises plan weighted in favour of Premiership and ring fencing. Should we be suprised - No.

Hopefully Championship Clubs who have looked at restructuring themselves will be more willing to control their own destiny - apart from maybe Hartpury and Bedford?

Date: 02 August, 2020 10:36

Won't we have to supplement the squad core with kids anyway, with or without this system, for the foreseeable future at least ?

Posted by: Tip (JJ Teeling) (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 10:40

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Date: 02 August, 2020 11:43

It might be slightly more appealing if the old-age cutoff was slightly less draconian, eg change under 25 to 25 and under, and/or rebalance the age-group split from 12/13/10 to 10/13/12

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net