Offy: JB's been busy...
Posted by: Kimbo (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 23:51

...collating records:

[www.coventryrugby.co.uk]

Looking forward to hearing more. Thanks for your efforts John.

Re: Offy: JB's been busy...
Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 10:44

Well that is time really well spent JB. I hope your work will eventually be published and available for purchase?

Posted by: John Butler (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 09:25

I would certainly hope we can make it available; not sure about being officially published, so let us wait & see.
overall it is all very statistically based, but am sure supporters would like to have the option of seeing what happened in 1948 etc for example.
The parts I am currently working on are the specific results v opposition, which will give us a complete breakdown alphabetically from 1946 -1987 & from 1987/88, when league Rugby began right up to the present.

Cheers
JB

Date: 03 August, 2020 09:31

Being officially a proper saddo, I'd buy it like a shot (in paper and digital form).
I'm sure there are many similarly affected.

Posted by: OldNick (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 10:37

Limbo reminds me of a key point which is referred to indirectly in the article too.

John is doing a brilliant job of extracting and correlating information from the data held in the original documentation. That will make it available for current and future generations.

What I would like to know is what is being done to conserve and protect the documents themselves. 20th century paperwork, particularly from the war years through into the 1950s was notoriously poor quality, and is now extremely fragile. It needs protection in acid-free sleeves,. And minimum handling, if it is not to crumble away.

John's work will help massively in reducing future handling, but has advice been taken, from, for example, the Warwickshire county archives, on long term preservation?

Date: 03 August, 2020 10:52

The original paperwork is paper thin in quite a number of instances. Later paperwork not so bad.
The paper thin ones are currently now being stored in a plastic envelope within a box file.
Longer term, it will be necessary to decide what to do with them.
For the moment I have hard copies & all the work I am doing is saved in a memory stick which I will be adding to each year.

Date: 03 August, 2020 12:44

I do sometimes feel like I'm in limbo...

Posted by: HoboAl (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 21:22

The thin paper records John - have you photographed them?

Date: 06 August, 2020 09:46

No, not as yet.
The work to re produce them in 2020 form & retaining a hard copy, including saving them to the memory stick has been completed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net