Ladies Team
Posted by: Dazman (IP Logged)
Date: 22 July, 2020 10:05

I had tried posting this on the supporters Facebook page but my post seems to have been deleted but news about the Ladies team that was released this morning -

Plymouth Albion Ladies Make the move to Ivybridge
We have made the very difficult decision to leave Plymouth Albion and reform as Ivybridge ladies for the upcoming season.
We want to thank everyone who has followed, supported, sponsored and worked with us in the past and hope many of you will continue to do so as we move in order to better develop our squad and club.
The 2020-2021 season will bring many new opportunities for us and we look forward to working with Ivybridge Rfc in order to achieve and have a successful future.

The link below takes you to the press release.
[www.facebook.com]

Re: Ladies Team
Posted by: Dewnansek (IP Logged)
Date: 22 July, 2020 10:57

On the face of it this is a disappointment.
More information needed before I can assess it properly.
It may be that Albion are focussing on the mens team for financial reasons??

In any event I wish the ladies team well in their new home.

Posted by: noibla (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 10:57

Here's wishing the Ladies squad all the best for the future and thanks for your memories at the Brickfields etc.

Thanks Daz, and this is the page to go to don't forget, as ever.

Semper Sersum.

Posted by: Commando joe (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 15:48

Best wishes to the Ladies on their move to the Bridge . Sure you will be welcomed by a very good club.

Posted by: stonehousealbion (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 13:15

(Press release seems to be no longer available.)

I have never really understood the status of the Ladies in relation to the Club overall. I stand to be corrected, but I think they were entirely self-supporting (no small task in itself) and simply allowed use of the facilities at Brickfields. Whether that meant that PARFC Ltd actually incurred costs as a result, I honestly don't know. If it is cost-neutral to the "parent" club, what's the problem...?

Maybe there's a Covid-related reason for a temporary move out of town...? Overall, I don't think it's a good idea for an ambitious rugby club to move away from the women's game in this day and age.

More clarification from either side would be handy...

Come cheer up, my lads - 'tis to glory we steer!

Posted by: Dazman (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 19:51

I beleive that the Ladies had their own bank account but were a part of the Albion "family" - I don't think they could have worn the Albion / City crest on their shirts if they were not.

They were formed 25 years ago and it all had to be ratified through the board/committee at the time.
I have been told that certainly back in those days Albion as a club would have received "extra" income from the RFU for having a ladies team - just as they would have done for a development ad colts set-up.

Over the years though, they've had to cover certain costs more themselves and by not being allowed on the main pitch, there have not been the bar sales on their match days as in the past that Albion would have reaped.

I don't believe this is a temporary move and Ivybridge see it as the final piece in the jigsaw there as they have a girls team (along with colts and development team) but were lacking a ladies team for the girls to progress to.

Posted by: noibla (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 11:19

Thanks DAZ, what a shame the Ladies weren't allowed some benefits from the overall club takings as you mention. But lets hope they are in a better place now !

Semper Sersum.

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net