Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Teams Up v Quins
Posted by: mommentum (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 19:40

Quote:
Mabolza
Perhaps there should be a rule that each team must include at least "X" amount of players who have not played in the preceeding "X " amount of Premiership or Euro matches.

The rule should be that only players that have played in the group games can play in the semi and final

Posted by: Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 10:41

The hypocrisy on this thread! As I have said above.We have done exactly the same thing in this cup!

Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 11:31

You put your strength into where you feel you can get a chance of silverware, we have put our strongest side out in this competition before.
We used it as a stepping stone to build our position in this league, and show we could do it and be a force.
I cannot criticize Quins who are using this as we did to get a positive outcome at the end of the season.
We also have our injury problems, but our sights are on Europe and the League. We have great talent in waiting, they need a chance to shine, and what better stage than SP against an impressive looking Quins side.

Posted by: Mabolza (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 11:32

Quote:
Toomanychiefs
The hypocrisy on this thread! As I have said above.We have done exactly the same thing in this cup!

Hypocrisy ??? Just because we have done it in the past, doesn't mean we agreed with it.

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 12:26

The Quins side is very different to the one printed in the programme with no Care and Smith on the bench. They obviously want to win a trophy this season !

Posted by: Exeforever (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 13:10

From the Quins site:

Not available due to injury:

Forwards
Rob Buchanan
Scott Baldwin
Max Crumpton
George Head
Elia Elia
Jack Clifford
Tom Lawday
Dino Lamb

Backs
Niall Saunders
James Lang
Ben Tapuai
Francis Saili
Luke Northmore
Michele Campagnaro
Nathan Earle
Travis Ismaiel
Mike Brown

Not Available
Joe Marchant
Joe Gray

Guinness Six Nations 
Joe Marler
Kyle Sinckler

That's 21 players they are missing. They probably had very little choice about the side that they put out. In the A league game they had 3 or 4 guest players (IIRC).

I did suggest last season that you shouldn't be allowed to play anyone who had been picked for 3 of the 4 preceding Premiership games (but with obvious scope for injury cover). given that the ref is not a Premiership regular the organisers clearly see this as a development/rehabilitation competition and under normal circumstances I think that the clubs should have to treat it as such. I am glad to see that we are putting out our "normal" A team. It's just a pity that the club didn't price it as an A Team game £10 ok £40 a bit much IMO

Posted by: Shouting Prarie Dog (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 16:39

I've commented on this forum before regarding the cup team selection. If you really want to win it put your best side out. If you want to use the competition in a different way, don't.
Up and coming players. academy, new signings and players returning from injury are some ways clubs use it. But I have no problem with clubs wanting to win it.
As has been said on this thread we put out pretty much our full strength squad when we won it first.
Watch the game for what it is - a game of rugby.

Just a rugby club from Devon.
We know who we be.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2018

Posted by: minuteman (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 20:23

Quote:
Shouting Prarie Dog
I've commented on this forum before regarding the cup team selection. If you really want to win it put your best side out. If you want to use the competition in a different way, don't.
Up and coming players. academy, new signings and players returning from injury are some ways clubs use it. But I have no problem with clubs wanting to win it.
As has been said on this thread we put out pretty much our full strength squad when we won it first.
Watch the game for what it is - a game of rugby.

What this says .. well put SPD

Posted by: mommentum (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 11:33

plenty of lineout jumpers

Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 15:05

Not surprised at the loss, I was surprised at the amount of non penalties awarded to Quins and other pens not awarded to the young guns.
It would have meant the game being far closer at half time, but Quins would have won with that team out.
By what I saw on BT, a Chiefs first team would have comfortably kept the long win record, just to many dropped passes and lack of clever play by our future talent.

Posted by: DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 15:48

Such a shame the the spirit of the match was lost. Cannot blame the lads, however had expected more from Armand and Shortie. Hey ho! It is what it is ... Roll on Feb 29th - I think the result may be different!

Posted by: Pinhoe_Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 15:58

Oh well, pretty much as expected, got smashed. Can't blame Quins, they just beat what was put in front of them.
Though our 13 went well but would love to see our backs running like Quins were.

Posted by: Broken arrow (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 16:07

Very impressed with Wyatt, very unimpressed with our forwards ! Itís easy scoring running tries when no one tries to tackle you !

Posted by: cornwallchief (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 16:39

Quote:
Broken arrow
Very impressed with Wyatt, very unimpressed with our forwards ! Itís easy scoring running tries when no one tries to tackle you !

Hi Broken Arrow, totally agreed about Wyatt - looks a great prospect. Not sure I agree re the forwards. Thought our scrum in first half looked very solid in the front row. Street looks a great prospect. Lots of the rest of the match showed lack of experience and a lot of rust - eg Max Bodily early on. Expected really but great experience and some positive things.

Date: 02 February, 2020 16:57

Quote:
cornwallchief
Quote:
Broken arrow

Hi Broken Arrow, totally agreed about Wyatt - looks a great prospect. Not sure I agree re the forwards. Thought our scrum in first half looked very solid in the front row. Street looks a great prospect. Lots of the rest of the match showed lack of experience and a lot of rust - eg Max Bodily early on. Expected really but great experience and some positive things.

First half not so bad but second half we were very pedestrian. I agree about Street and Keast looks good too, but they just walked through our forwards and that isnít good enough.

Posted by: minuteman (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 19:49

No complaints from me .. the best team won on the day .
Not too many positives either apart from Wyatt looking like a real gem and no apparent Chiefs injuries.
Well played Quins .. they showed grit and desire to back up last weeks win .

Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2020 19:52

That...well...I saw that coming but had hoped we'd avoid that sort of hammering. We got our act together attacking wise in the second half...but on the flipside, the defence just gave up at times!

Congratulations to Quins though and we'll give the PRC another go next year!

Posted by: Master Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2020 07:58

Letís be honest, if you compare the two teams that actually made the field, they were pretty well matched. Yes Quins has Dombrandt but we had Armand. Yes Quins has Matt Symons but we had Will Witty, etc etc.

Put simply, our more expedienced players didnít step up. Too many sloppy errors. Not enough control.

My worry is at 9. Townsendís last two performances suggests we do need to find a replacement for Nic White.

Meanwhile, Armandís poor game shows why he canít get into the first team at the moment. However, without him in the first team Matt Kvesic wonít get a starting birth either, because Baxter likes a lineout option in the back row.

Wyatt looks a prospect though. It would be good to see him get some game time in the first team while Slade and Devoto are unavailable. Hill and Whitten as a partnership are too similar/pedestrian.

I also thought Jordon Poole looks a good prospect too. If Taione is off at the end of the season I wonder if we donít need to sign someone. Poole has shown he can step up as third choice.

Date: 03 February, 2020 10:43

Quote:
Master Chief
Letís be honest, if you compare the two teams that actually made the field, they were pretty well matched. Yes Quins has Dombrandt but we had Armand. Yes Quins has Matt Symons but we had Will Witty, etc etc.
Put simply, our more expedienced players didnít step up. Too many sloppy errors. Not enough control.

My worry is at 9. Townsendís last two performances suggests we do need to find a replacement for Nic White.

Meanwhile, Armandís poor game shows why he canít get into the first team at the moment. However, without him in the first team Matt Kvesic wonít get a starting birth either, because Baxter likes a lineout option in the back row.

Wyatt looks a prospect though. It would be good to see him get some game time in the first team while Slade and Devoto are unavailable. Hill and Whitten as a partnership are too similar/pedestrian.

I also thought Jordon Poole looks a good prospect too. If Taione is off at the end of the season I wonder if we donít need to sign someone. Poole has shown he can step up as third choice.

Regarding the scrum half issue, my thoughts on Stu are well documented so I wont go over old ground, personally, once Nic departs, I think our first choice 9 is Jack Maunder, he will get another England call up before too long, he is highly rated by those in the know, he just needs game time, my 2nd choice 9 is Sam Maunder, current England U20 first choice and Captain, still young, but as they say, if hes good enough, hes old enough, I would keep Stu, if we can, but as back up. The most important thing for me is, knowing Nic is off, that we give Jack as much game time and starts as possible.

Posted by: Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
Date: 03 February, 2020 11:17

The thing that got me was the way we just sort of capitulated halfway through the second half. If anyone was trying to press for a first team berth then not many points earned on this one.

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net