End of Promotion dreams.
Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 16:45

The RFU are ring fencing the Prem by the back door when this disgrace happens.

the future

As the last team to come up from the championship, its a sad day for the future of the league. Where does all the RFU money go, I know in the past they were very happy to look after themselves like a load on champagne charlies. I would hope that has changed, we need a Championship, pity the money from Sarries fine couldn't have gone to those clubs.

Re: End of Promotion dreams.
Posted by: Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 17:29

What annoyed me was the suggestion that the Championship can't produce or be used to develop Premiership or England quality players. What a load of utter tripe.. Lets ignore the fact that ten of Englandís starting line-up at the weekend had experience with Championship clubs earlier in their career.

Furthermore there was according to Jersey's statement on the matter there has been zero consultation, engagement, or explanation before the announcement and no vision for the future of the Championship has been provided. Very poor planning and implementation if that's the case.

Posted by: Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 19:41

Disgusting.
Rugby is starting to lose its gloss for me.

Posted by: minuteman (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 20:17

I really fail to understand the rationale behind this decision on so many levels . Frankly shocking and short sighted. As others have said its ring fencing by the back door . Iíd like to know where the money will be going instead !! Does anyone know?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 22:09 by minuteman.

Posted by: Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 20:51

Sad day for Rugby Union imo

I drink and forget stuff!

Posted by: Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 23:12

Quote:
minuteman
I really fail to understand the rationale behind this decision on so many levels . Frankly shocking and short sighted. As others have said its ring fencing by the back door . Iíd like to know where the money will be going instead !! Does anyone know?

Clubs are going to have to find additional funding is the long and short of it.

As I understand it, the reason being given by the RFU is that they laid out targets for the Championship clubs concerning EQP player development that they have determined where not achieved. It seems like they where thinking that that the Championship clubs on a minimal budget and no academies would produce England quality players that they would pass on up to the Premiership . As this has not happened so now the RFU don't see the Championship as a valuable tool for player development.

RFU Chief Exec Bill Sweeny is quoted as saying in the statement:

"Ultimately the difference in the levels of funding between the current agreement and our new commitment will not be the deciding factor for clubs with aspirations for promotion and will always require additional investment. The gateway is still open for clubs to get into the Premiership if they have the necessary financial resources and meet the minimum standards required.

The Championship is, and will continue to be, a useful way for players to get additional developmental experience, but we do not believe it is the primary place where Premiership and England players are discovered and developed.Ē
[www.englandrugby.com]

It is worth noting that they are not counting the players who are duel registered with Championship clubs as Championship players as apparently the RFU determined that Harry Williams was the only player in England's 45-man elite squad who could be called a product of the Championship. Despite numerous players in the England team spending time at Championship clubs as part of a duel registration.

An absolutely terrible decision in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 23:21 by Tom A Hawk.

Posted by: VeeDub (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 11:12

[www.google.co.uk]

Great article by ex-Chief Will Hooley about ex-Chief Justin Blanchett

Wake up and smell the Chiefs!†

Posted by: cornwallchief (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 13:13

Not a good feeling about this. I don't know enough about the structure and relationships of the 'club game' but are not many of the fans who pay the high prices of the prem, and international matches people who have a history of playing or following club rugby? If the championship is torpedoed and declines won't this in the end damage rugby generally; in that without an increasing fan-base the wage structure is even more unrealistic at the elite level. Doesn't it make a ring fenced prem. a fait accompli? Money is changing rugby and I don't think its governance is up to it and like many businesses the leaders interests are unfortunately very short term. I would love to know what Rob baxter and Tony Rowe feel about this state of affairs? Perhaps somebody who knows them can ask! I cannot feel with the Chief's history they would feel this is a good idea.

Posted by: andy15 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 22:23

A very sad day for rugby, I can remember standing at the county ground dreaming of promotion to the big time - for the supporters of the vast majority of championship clubs now this dream has been extinguished for ever.

The pirates statement is worth a read

[cornish-pirates.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net