19. Launchbury,
20. Ewels,
21 Earl,
22. Heinz,
23. Slade.

Re: England Squad to Face Ireland
Posted by: Celtic Chieftain (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 13:17

So Eddie wants to play with a smaller faster number 8, but not pick the best such player of that type in Sam Simmonds. He needs a big lad at 6 to bolster the back row but won't pick any of Exeter's big flankers. He needs a big front row to stop England getting bullied up front but LCD doesn't start and Williams doesn't get in the squad at all.

Aside from the anti-Exeter bias, the 23 contains 5 locks (one of whom is Ewels who doesn't rate that high IMHO) and only one winger. And still Ben Youngs at 9.

State of that, man. Ireland by 10.

"Look, I'm fine, I don't need to go off, but I just can't remember what position I play."

Posted by: Boldeagle (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 14:41

Quote:
Celtic Chieftain
So Eddie wants to play with a smaller faster number 8, but not pick the best such player of that type in Sam Simmonds. He needs a big lad at 6 to bolster the back row but won't pick any of Exeter's big flankers. He needs a big front row to stop England getting bullied up front but LCD doesn't start and Williams doesn't get in the squad at all.
Aside from the anti-Exeter bias, the 23 contains 5 locks (one of whom is Ewels who doesn't rate that high IMHO) and only one winger. And still Ben Youngs at 9.

Exactly and I am hoping Ireland beat us and it's a nail in the coffin for Eddie Jones and they get rid of him. How can he keep picking Youngs??????

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 17:11

Quote:
Celtic Chieftain

Simmonds is great if you want nimble...if not go Dombramt or Hughes... all are in very good form.

I cant wait to see the back of Jones tbh...
Ireland may be a tad limited but everyone knows their job and the team ethic is cohesive and intense.

A real toughie at the best of times and I'll be pleasantly surprised if we win...and even then what will it tell us...?

Posted by: Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
Date: 21 February, 2020 17:57

Joseph as 11 gets me.

I think Harry is paying for his sending off against Saracens

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 08:10

A squad with 3 No. 13s with a 13 playing 15 and 11. A 12 playing 13 and 10 playing 12. If has supposed Slade comes on to play 13 the 13 (Tuilagi) will move to 12 and the 12 will move to 10.
13 is considered an unlucky number, it is if you are an out and out winger or fullback who wants to play for England !
Add into the above we have a second row playing 6 and a 7 playing 8 - I think the England players should rip the numbers off their shirts and just play wherever they want!

Posted by: Zyder head (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 08:22

I have lost all confidence in Jones.
I didn't have that much to start with......
Not even sure if I can be bothered to watch tomorrow to be honest,if I do I won't expect much and that is not to say Ireland are very good but they will be better coached than us.

Posted by: Broken arrow (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 08:38

Quote:
Lowerwatha
A squad with 3 No. 13s with a 13 playing 15 and 11. A 12 playing 13 and 10 playing 12. If has supposed Slade comes on to play 13 the 13 (Tuilagi) will move to 12 and the 12 will move to 10.
13 is considered an unlucky number, it is if you are an out and out winger or fullback who wants to play for England !
Add into the above we have a second row playing 6 and a 7 playing 8 - I think the England players should rip the numbers off their shirts and just play wherever they want!

Well I guess that just about sums up Eddie for me. Well put Lowerwatha.

Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 13:11

Iím afraid we are stuck with Jones, if we got the wooden spoon the clowns at the RFU would probably extend his contract and pay him more. He has never lasted more than three years anywhere, but they insist on backing him, all the talent on offer and he doesnít pick them.

Posted by: DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
Date: 22 February, 2020 17:58

Agreed Clalan. I forget the original poster (*) but I think they were correct - EJ is afraid to pick Chiefs as there's no way he can get from them what Rob and Co. do. It feels ever more as he's just taking to P and seeing what he can get away with. Makes no sense to me to play so many out of position. But, what do I know?!

* OP was Zyder Head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2020 08:56 by DumnoniiNomad.

Posted by: Celtic Chieftain (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 17:32

Tbf England were quite good today but that result was at least as much down to Ireland being a bit poor

"Look, I'm fine, I don't need to go off, but I just can't remember what position I play."

Posted by: Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 17:55

Quote:
Celtic Chieftain
Tbf England were quite good today but that result was at least as much down to Ireland being a bit poor

Personally I think England put Ireland on the back foot from minute one and were too good for them today.......which imo made Ireland look poor as we didnít let them play

I drink and forget stuff!

Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 18:11

First particularly good performance from England in this year's Six Nations but with Wales coming to Twickenham and only Italy to go after that...we're not done as far as the title race is concerned...

Posted by: Zyder head (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 21:24

In the end the result and performance vindicated Eddies selections but that was a poor Ireland performance littered with individual errors.
Sexton set the tone,Stockdale followed it and in the blink of an eye the game was probably gone.
England's line speed was very good,Ireland looked very pedestrian and were always on the back foot but that didn't excuse the poor defence for the tries Ireland conceded.
When England are good they are very good but when poor they are very poor.
Very inconsistent.

Posted by: Big Chief Little Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2020 22:15

[quote Zyder head]In the end the result and performance vindicated Eddies selections but that was a poor Ireland performance littered with individual errors.
Sexton set the tone,Stockdale followed it and in the blink of an eye the game was probably gone.
England's line speed was very good,Ireland looked very pedestrian and were always on the back foot but that didn't excuse the poor defence for the tries Ireland conceded.
When England are good they are very good but when poor they are very poor.
Very inconsistent.[/quote

Agree with all the above, although i'd change the last bit slightly.
When Plan A works we are very good, when it doesn't we don't seem to be able to change and are therefore very poor. An ability to think on our feet would probably have made us world champions.

Still think EJs selections are bonkers!

Posted by: emohawk (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 12:37

England made a fast start (they should do as the home team), Ireland didn't handle the pressure and conceded 2 poor tries. They played better in the 2nd half and outscored England. Papers saying England are back to their best - really? So how about going for a bonus point try when you've got your opponents down? More EJ rubbish about 'declaring at half time' Give us a break.

Posted by: mommentum (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2020 22:06

Quote:
emohawk
England made a fast start (they should do as the home team), Ireland didn't handle the pressure and conceded 2 poor tries. They played better in the 2nd half and outscored England. Papers saying England are back to their best - really? So how about going for a bonus point try when you've got your opponents down? More EJ rubbish about 'declaring at half time' Give us a break.

agree. England defended very well but average in attack and lost the second half.

from reading Eds book he has got this favourite players and he get them in the team. But to be fair he does not have the players 24/7 to get new players up to speed. the French have changed their team far to much over the years becuse they have a big player base.

Posted by: Wampum (IP Logged)
Date: 26 February, 2020 11:01

Yep, that was the game I saw as well. South Africa had their players for together 6 months and won the World Cup. Can't wait to see 'the best team ever.'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net