Cancel the rest of the season
Posted by: Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 18:00

With the news coming out today that clubs wont return to training for at least 2 weeks, then needing 8 weeks training the season won't start until the middle of August at the earliest.

This decision is based on money and nothing else. They should void this season push the start of the 20/21 season back to Dec/Jan.

Re: Cancel the rest of the season
Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 20:25

Yes it's based on money...but I wouldn't want my club to go out of business due to circumstances like these...possibly a bailout fund might be a good idea?

Posted by: Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 10:34

Quote:
ExTeddChief
Yes it's based on money...but I wouldn't want my club to go out of business due to circumstances like these...possibly a bailout fund might be a good idea?

None of us want our club going out of business and those of us who are paying for season tickets are actively contributing towards the club even though itís unclear when or if we are going to get any return for our money..
What are you suggesting by Ď bail out fund Ď ?

I drink and forget stuff!

Posted by: Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 13:40

Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
ExTeddChief

None of us want our club going out of business and those of us who are paying for season tickets are actively contributing towards the club even though itís unclear when or if we are going to get any return for our money..

It seems inevitable that the league will be cancelled, just nobody wants to actually call the season over. It does seems pointless to play out the season and then take a break before the next one starts as well as crunching the next season bearing in mind the European competitions are due to start in October.

I realise there is no perfect solution here in this imperfect situation but it does seem like we are getting to the point where its going to be too late to restart and complete the season in time for start of the next.

Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 13:50

Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Quote:
ExTeddChief

Was thinking the RFU or Sport England might be able to set up something in these extreme circumstances, enough to allow clubs to function into next season if neccersary.

Posted by: Garnett (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 16:44

I honestly don't think the public would accept the need to bail out rugby clubs. The cost for Furlough is enormous. Benefit claims are up 500% in 4 weeks. we will be at 15% unemployment when furlough ends. There wont be 12 clubs in business. 4 will have folded if we dont complete the BT Contract. I am not sure we will be able to sustain a full time pro game until we have mass vaccination. Who would we play?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net