Salary Cap
Posted by: Moorsman (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2020 17:28

Reported on Twitter that dropping to £5m from mid 2021

Re: Salary Cap
Posted by: minuteman (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2020 18:40

Can you shed anything more on this.. probably means that no English club will win anything major.

Posted by: Moorsman (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2020 19:00

On BBC website now says £6m unanimous PRL decision

Posted by: minuteman (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2020 19:42

Thanks Moorsman ... this along with changes to the marquee players rules.. which guarantees a non English team winning the Champions Cup .
It might help the English clubs that are seeing huge losses but will cripple the ambition of others to compete at the highest level.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2020 20:05

If it's a choice between English clubs ceasing to exist or continuing but not winning European trophies for a while I know which I'd choose.

Posted by: Master Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2020 23:58

Agree SimonG19. But canít help feel it negatively impedes our progression and ambition. First Saracens, now this.

Posted by: James_P (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2020 07:51

Quote:
minuteman
Thanks Moorsman ... this along with changes to the marquee players rules.. which guarantees a non English team winning the Champions Cup .
It might help the English clubs that are seeing huge losses but will cripple the ambition of others to compete at the highest level.

Yep, shootout between Leinster, Munster and the French for the next few years. Personally strongly feel that the clubs having unsustainable losses every year should just spend less but hey ho. We were 2m under the cap last year and were competing for the top 6 at the last game.

Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2020 09:03

When will player welfare appear again as a reduction in cap will mean smaller squads. With the injury recovery time length increasing as more artificial surfaces appear the amount of games played will increase by those who stay fit.
As mentioned better to have teams to play against, maybe teams need to review their money making plans as well, so many clubs offer nothing to keep supporters in spending money after or before a game.

Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2020 09:59

Yeah, given that the big reason for trying to complete the regular season at all was to keep clubs afloat, I'll live with the hit to English club's potential in European competition.

Posted by: Comanche Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2020 09:07

Here's the detail from the club's website.
Salary Cap
Can't help feeling the players of all clubs have been shafted.
There maybe a legal challenge on its way...
Legal Challenge

Posted by: Garnett (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2020 09:47

Last year you would have been right. This season with us going into a Global Depression and potentially 20% unemployment the other European Countries will suffer similar funding pressure. I am sure that they would not take the decision lightly. The teams struggling in the Prem are also vital to us competing in Europe.

Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2020 10:02

If players decide to take legal action and it is upheld then there is only one outcome, squads will be reduced and some good young players and players within a couple of years of retirement will be lost to the game.

Posted by: cornwallchief (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2020 13:59

Logic says to me that an additional outcome of a successful legal player challenge will be more chaos. The 'old' business model for the premiership was a loss making concern where club and players were bailed out largely by the wealthy. Not all players will have money as the top of their motivation. Those that do may go elsewhere for the money - because it will not be in the UK - but they will not always be the most gifted and skilful although some will be. For others where they play will also be determined by family, club culture etc. What the salary cap reduction signifies is a realisation that the huge looming recession coming is not compatible with the old business model. A large number of rugby fans will already be worried about their finances and future unemployment. There has been huge player wage inflation over the last few years - justified or not - it has just stopped and likely reversed for many. It is brutal but better than no job.

Posted by: ouch!_that_hurts (IP Logged)
Date: 12 June, 2020 09:53

I think that, as Garnett says, a global recession is going to affect clubs in all countries. Let's face it, the cap is being reduced here for a couple of years after which, it will likely revert back to close to £7m; if clubs have already signed their marquees they can keep them both until the existing contracts expire. I think many rugby players will accept a pay cut to retain their job, just as people in other industries, etc. may have to.

Ultimately, I think the biggest outcome may be fewer foreign players in the league, especially if the government decide the Kolpak regulations are no longer valid - I noted that Jono Lance's proposed contract with Edinburgh has been cancelled for visa reasons; being Australian, I thought he was able to play over here without one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net