Next Premiership Season...
Posted by: Chief Cymraeg (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2020 19:10

... according the the Times Rugby Podcast, is likely to start in March 2021 and run through until the end of August! Seems a crazy idea to me. Many of the current crop of players in the prem will not be cut out to play in the heat and hard grounds. It will became a very different game.

More importantly, much as I love my rugby, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has have better things to do in the summer weekends than watch rugby every weekend. There are so many other alternatives that aren't there in the winter. Certainly not sure I would want to commit to a season ticket - (which I have already) if this is a permanent change.

Re: Next Premiership Season...
Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 08 June, 2020 22:33

There's not even an obvious reasons for such a big change. Yes, there will need to be a break between seasons but not to that extent! Surely you want to minimise long term dsruption to the game?

Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2020 09:09

I would not like to play on plastic in August, there have been reports that the heat they retain unlike grass is incredible. Why not forget next season finish this season and start as normal with 21/22 season. If they are all going to be closed games, what does it matter.

Posted by: ouch!_that_hurts (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2020 10:45

CC - I'm not sure that would even be possible, it's only 5 months while the season normally lasts 9. I did read (I think on Rugby Pass or Telegraph) that a possible season would be January to August with no Prem Cup. I can't remember what was said about international windows (6N) but to fit the season into 8 months would, I think, require the Prem to continue through the 6N.

Wrt playing in summer, I think that will happen soon when the RFU agrees to the global season. Hopefully by then plastic pitches will have been banned.

Posted by: Chief Cymraeg (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2020 15:17

[play.acast.com]

Link above, I've got the length, wrong, it was March - November. (Discussions starts at 7mins, Dalagllio clarifies at about 10 mins.). Still, same principle applies - who wants summer rugby?

Posted by: Chief Fire Water (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2020 18:16

I'm all for summer rugby. No more cold dark winter days and better faster rugby

Posted by: Zyder head (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2020 19:07

I personally don't want summer rugby regularly,a one off maybe but I wouldn't go very much at all during the summer months. I have a young family and that will always come first and during good weather we will be out and about exploring and learning and it is easier for me to pinch a few hours in the worse weather! I dare say I won't be the only one,there is more going on in summer months for people to choose from rather than go to the rugby?
I like the balance in our NH season between forward orientated play in the winter and a more expansive game in the drier months. Who really wants to see players put through 80 minutes of rugby in 30+ degrees heat?

Posted by: Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2020 19:48

With the traffic on the A303 .. I think we would not be able to continue our attendance in the Library ..

"Get on Exe"

Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 09 June, 2020 20:51

Totally agree Zyder Head, summer is for family not rugby, maybe if I was retired and they have flown the nest my view will change.
The way pitches have improved the rugby is pretty fast now, and be prepared for lots and lots of stoppages for fluids playing in a hot July/August. Players no matter how fit will get knackered especially the forwards if it hot.

Posted by: Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2020 02:25

I actually enjoy going to Rugby through the winter......I wouldn’t want summer rugby either.
I like the contrast between the two, if rugby was played in the summer months only Union (imo) would become a thing of the past.

I drink and forget stuff!

Posted by: Exeforever (IP Logged)
Date: 10 June, 2020 09:34

Quote:
clalan
Totally agree Zyder Head, summer is for family not rugby, maybe if I was retired and they have flown the nest my view will change.
The way pitches have improved the rugby is pretty fast now, and be prepared for lots and lots of stoppages for fluids playing in a hot July/August. Players no matter how fit will get knackered especially the forwards if it hot.

I am retired but still don't want summer rugby. There's too much else going on, from cricket to the numerous gardens to visit to volunteering with the National Trust to looking after your own garden. Rugby provides a structure during the months when it is more difficult to find things to do, not an added distraction in an already busy summer. I suspect that once the novelty of having games to go to again wears off they will find that attendances for summer rugby drop significantly, particularly in places like London where there is even more to do.

I think this will get worse still, now that they are reducing the salary cap so that English teams become both less skilled and win fewer and fewer games in Europe. It's a short career and are players going to stay in England to secure international honours or go to France/Ireland/wherever if they are offered an extra £200k p.a?

Posted by: Garnett (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2020 09:53

I don't want summer rugby but economically playing behind closed doors is a disaster. We are setting a start date with a realistic chance of a vaccine and Sandy Park being open? If we cant get SP back an making money our model fails anyway. We dont have a sugar daddy but conferencing is our income.

Posted by: DumnoniiNomad (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2020 21:56

It's all about priorities. As a retired old git, yes I'd have to reconsider my summer trips, but if it meant I could head off somewhere for a match whilst appeasing SWMBO, then so be it. I'm not against summer fixtures.

Posted by: Part time chief (IP Logged)
Date: 21 June, 2020 10:04

I’ve started paying for a season ticket for next season, had I had any idea that it could be a summer season I wouldn’t have bothered. For me it’s a winter sport and should remain so, far too many things to do in the summer. I think it could have a damaging impact on attendances at Sandy Park, imagine trying to get there at mid day on a Saturday in July or august!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net